Hello, my names Ryan DeMattio. I live in Jefferson county, and I'm actively seeking a natural gas drilling job.  My dad works for water transport and delivers water to all the wells very frequently, its a great economic boost for him. He has talked to alot of the guys on the wells and from what they told him (77k a year starting out, great benefits, only working 6 months a year) I was interested.  I'm currently going to school at Penn State New Kensington but I would much rather be working on one of those gas wells!  One of the guys my dad talks to alot hooked me up and had me use him as a reference, he said its not IF I get a phone call, but WHEN. He said a new rig comes online every month so just wait and you will be getting a call.  I'm really excited, but I have that little guy on my shoulder saying don't do it.  Im worried that I'm going to drop out of college (I'm only a freshmen) and start on these rigs and 15-20 years from now they are all gone. Then im 35-40 years old with a family, no job, and no education.  My dad said all the guys on the rigs said they will be here for 100+ years, but I just wanted some second opinions, or if anyone could find a link that has estimations and so fourth, thanks! -Ryan

Views: 5386

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

get a degree in a tech/computer field...............that is needed everywhere all the time.......and in the gas industry related needs, if you like......................then go for the rig job.   as an older person, i have learned that the BODY we live in will dictate much of your future, and if you can use it as desired, great; but if not, through injury or other reason, you surely do need the mental prep for another way to earn a living.  you can have the best of both worlds and without the anxiety of 'what if' always hanging on your head if prepared for anything.  i think the length of time the industry will exist is long, but the LOCATION may change frequently, so you need to be prepared for that, as well.....and/or to be able to stay where you are to get another job should the industry move and you not want/able to. i think you will see in all of these replies the same thing..............no guarantees either way, but be prepared for either way.  good luck.  the college debt can be paid off quickly with the big rig bucks.  the big rig bucks can run out fast if you can no longer earn them and have nothing to fall back on.

Hello I have been reading the posts and I just wanted to throw a little of my opinions in the mix for others to read . Roughneck It sounds as if you know what you want and are content and being happy with what you are doing  which always makes beer thirty more enjoyable . especially when you are able to look forward to going in the next day . I hope this new deal will provide a long future for you if you enjoy it and also good paying jobs for other people as well as improve the local economy. The production taxes and related spending should make it better for our children who are our future . I just hope the related environmental concerns are kept in check to keep from destroying what we have . Now back to the issue ,It would be be great if we all were able to enjoy the jobs we have had to do but sometimes the economy and responsibilities make that an unrealistic dream. Our area was a great productive place years ago and it seems that it may be again. The jobs have gotten safer but there are still a lot of dangers in the various fields . I remember my grandfather who worked in the coal mines over 45 years ,even then he said a lot of the coal companies are owned by the gas and oil companies or are connected to them ,he said our ground is full of gas and oil and lots of coal as well as other things  but the coal is good now , he said things go inc cycles , saying that oil was discovered long ago but the main thing now is coal but when the oil companies find it easier to make money other places the coal mines will shut down  for a long period of time maybe 20 years or more until the cycle repeats itself when other things get easier to produce again. I did not realize how wise he was when I was a kid but I do now . Sadly he retired to only be able walk 20 feet and be huffing and puffing and had a rough way after he retired to really enjoy what time he had left . Fortunately their were people who cared enough to join together to create safe work laws and protection for the men and the mines to make them a better place to work . Although they still have incidents they are not like they were . Back then my grandfather said if a mule died they sent him to the gob pile and if a man died they just hired another one with no care about correcting the causes of death . We are much more fortunate now and we need to always be grateful for those that made it better for us This is another reason to make sure this new boom has safety for the men working as well as the property that is being produced so everyone involved will have a little better way of life .

I have worked  since I was a kid mowing lawns , digging post holes and a lot of other odd jobs , then after I graduated I worked  for a paving company ,digging ditches ,doing road construction and ran equipment  , a coal company over 10 years from the bottom,then maintenance repair and welding  to operating a control room until coal went bad in our area ,then I went to the power plant where you started at the bottom again,   sweeping mopping and even cleaning toilets until you get a bid to move up into maintenance, where you work in extreme heat ,dirt ,and many other situations   ,Then I was fortunate enough to use my school training I had gotten by taking a lot of courses before and after the various shifts I was working which was extremely hard and stressful. When attending  college while trying to support yourself and a family it sometimes gets overwhelming , you end up having very little time to spend with the ones you are doing all this for .  I finally had enough training to get into the  electronics control technician position which I dearly loved until I had a serious work injury . I did not have any encouragement to go to college when I was younger and I landed a good paying job out of school,but It would have been a good thing for me to have gone to college then and got an education when I was still geared up to learn. Although I was fortunate with my early jobs , my last one was the most satisfying and enjoyable , When you are young it is hard to figure where you really want to be , sometimes you got to get your feet wet and take a chance to see if you like it if you are sure you don't want to continue go to college, But before you give up in school there are a few thoughts I have that you may  need to consider which I wish I had done  which are as follows . First try to find a person much older that still works in the job or has retired from a job which you are considering , then  how much will  a job  affect you as far as being happy each day doing what you are doing , how dangerous or unhealthy is it  ,what long term health problems can you get which may make your retirement years miserable if you are lucky enough to make it that far in good enough condition to still get around enough to enjoy those golden years,also what work environment will you have , A lot of people like it when they don't have to contend with various weather if they have an indoor job in the medical field or computer technology or several other good paying jobs , but on the flip side a lot of people like the fresh air and outdoors and not being stuck doing the same thing everyday,as you know there is a lot more to think of than just money if you are unhappy with where or what you are doing, it makes it harder and harder to drag your *** to work. In addition to these things will the job you are looking into offer you the ability to promote to a higher position that offers a lot better pay and benefits so you can do better if you chose to have a family  . Of course a lot of things only become available after you have paid your dues from the bottom and worked your way up.. This is where I spoke to my son that wanted to go to college . It is a fact if you have a good education in specialized fields you are sought after and offered good jobs from some of the lucrative companies that scout the colleges out for the students with the best academic scores and performances in their chosen field . Rather than you begging for a job they come to ask for you . Another consideration in any job is what shifts will you be required to work, some of the various shifts don't allows you to participate in a lot of the functions that you enjoy more when you are young , such as wedding ,parties , dances , family reunions , fairs , concerts , weekend functions or even if you will be able to stay in the area close to your loved ones . This has always been important to me because after all else fails when you have problems it is good to have close family and friends to help you out in the hard times . I have a daughter who is married to a man that finished  a four year hitch in the marines with Uncle Sam and this has allowed him to get the VA benefits for a paid for education  in which he has chosen nuclear medicine which will offer great pay and future opportunities , I have one son in the coal mines making $80,000 plus a year , and one in college who has always been good in mathematics and the computer filed , I am encouraging him to stay in school and get his degree but to go over and above and learn a specialized area maybe even creating programs so he is in demand rather than just a number. Regardless of what you do it is great if you try to work in an area that you enjoy rather than one that you are forced into because you need more money to support a family .As I have always said the high paying jobs usually are that way because you are being payed for your health or risk iin some way. A lot of industries have so many dangers associated with them even today that cause health problems or risks that make your senior years very hard .As you said if it is in your blood any job will make your life more enjoyable each day . When you hate it, the money is never worth the aggravation. It just always seems easier if a young person stays in school while they are in the learning mode because I know it is much harder going to school after you have a family and all the related bills and responsibilities that are attached .Although i have never minded hard work ,later I found it was easier on my back if I used my mind a little more ,  I am in hopes that the colleges not only offer additional research for better production but also offer programs for the research of this environmental development to find safer ways for fracking and producing our acres which may offer some additional opportunities for our children's futures ,also developing machinery that still needs a human intervention but helps to limit the dangers the men have to endure now . One thing for certain our country needs people from all walks in life to do the various jobs it requires to make everything work regardless if a person  decides to stay in college or not. I am sure some of the other folks here could add some of their views and point out additional reasons for good considerations also . Best luck which ever way you go .

you have a good start for a book!
Thank You , I got into too much because I just dealt with the same situation with my son and it all was still on my mind I  promise I won't do it again , I just hope a little is helpful .
Hi Ryan. I have been following this whole thing now for about 5 years. I have been reading about it everyday. I think this will be around for at least 50 years or more. So, I would say go and finish up with school. The jobs will still be around when you are done. I have a question for you. You say your father is in water transport? What part? I am looking to gain employment driving a tanker in the Marcellus. Please ask your father how a person who already has a CDL can get in touch with people to find employment. Thanks.-Darren.

You've gotten really good advice, here!  it will, I know, give you a lot to think about.l

Concerning the Biomedical Equipment Repair degree.  If much of this work is computer based, your education will be rapidly outdated.  Also, the two-year degree you describe is essentially a vocational degree, and financial help with vocational training is far easier to find during any downturn.  It would be a different story if you were aiming for a Ph.D. in History, for instance!

Would your oil patch work schedule allow you to establish PA residency so that your future education would be more affordable?

You've answered the questions folks would have about your ability to work the 12-on, 12-off shifts and physically handle the work.

I'd vote for taking the job and saving money like crazy -- not falling into the expensive new truck and drinking with the guys routine.  As I worked, I'd try to learn all I could about computer and mechanical opportunties with gas companies.  Can you work your way up with the company and do they offer any help with education?

Whether we have active drilling in the SW PA area for the next 40 years is problematical, but we still with have a carbon-fuel economy during that time, even with an increasing change to renewable energy sources.  You may have to move around a bit, but I certainly agree with the folks who have predicted the amount of financial security you will be able to achieve without debt.

Good luck with your decision and please let us know how things go!

Brinlady

Edited to Add:  In the best of all possible worlds, you would be able to finish this semester before starting the job and have those credtis tucked under your belt in case the new job does not suit you.

Hi Ryan, I have roughnecked before. The first week your hands will blister down to the bone, but the various chemicals and solvents will stop the bleeding. Most of the time is spent cleaning the rig in case the big boys come by. The best job is up on the diving board, stacking the pipe when it comes up. You will spend most of the money you earn chasing beers and boobs and, and live in a truck camper. When they start stacking the rigs there is still a year or two of pipelining to keep busy. It's a great time for a young guy that can stay out of trouble. Who knows, you can prospect for gold or arrowheads when you're off-rig.   My next stop was the north slope but got married back east and settled down, also a wise choice.  Good luck.

Wow, thanks for all the replys everyone! It's such a hard position.

Darren, I'll ask my dad about the water hauling.  He actually hauls the drinking and potable water for the man camps. He usually goes to the rigs twice a week to fill them up.  If your looking for frak-water hauling I do know one thing- they need people.  My dad wants to buy a vac truck and get into that deal cause they pay the vac trucks 100$ and hour. Now thats owner operator, but I know my dad said they don't have even close to the amount of vac trucks that they want.  I'll ask him if he can get  some company names and so fourth. Are you looking for owner operator positions or company driver? 

Roughneck, I am interested in the positions, I will PM you!

Mickgyver, you should deffinetly right a book!  Very good information. It's just so hard when dad is like you gotta do this you are stupid if you don't!  And I really want to do it, just that little voice about that college.  Alot of people say just finish your school, but this is my worry about that- 2 years from now the process to get on a rig will probably be alot more hard.  Right now they are making rigs at max-capacity. In 2 years, they might be slowing, and they may require a education is drilling by then instead of hiring complete newbies. 

Ryan- I am looking for Company driver. Who knows? If this thing is here to stay maybe I will buy a tanker myself. Darren.
Ryan- Please let me know also what areas (counties, towns) are looking for guys. Thanks. D.
Stay in school young man. If you finish we will still be here. It is tough hard work in the elements. Not everyone is cut out to be a roughneck. It will make an old man out of you. Get an education then go into an oilfield trade.

Hi Ryan-

It is very mature as a young man to seek counsel. Take in all available info, angles, etc. But in the end, my advice is to do what you find fulfilling, regardless of money. I know very wealthy people who are miserable, and I know people who have joy every day because they are in their niche. The reality today is that many people change occupations many times in a career. You are only young once. It gets harder to go back to school the older you get, family, etc. My college years at Grove City College, PA, and Asbury Seminary were some of the best. I met my wonderful wife of 22 years in college. She is from MD, and I don't think I would have met her any other way. In this economy, it is true you have to do whatever it takes to live, but experience and observation has shown me that money in and of itself is never a good basis for deciding how you want to spend the life you are given. Ultimately, you have to do what is best for you not just for today, but the short, mid, and long-term. You cannot put a price on fulfillment.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service