I began getting offers for my land a few years back. I had spoken with friends of mine who had also received offers and decided to lease their property out well "the getting was good". I wanted to take a different approach. I wanted to hold out as long as possible (after all the price can only go up right?).
To make a long story short, the well that was in my area turned out to be a fluke and my mineral rights are worthless now. I could have been a couple hundred grand richer, but I waited too long. I guess what I'm trying to say is they aren't all going to be zingers! But you can still come out on top if your willing to play things safe, and let someone else take the risk on your mineral rights.