"Getting the Waters Tested - An Industry Perspective" - PIOGA Winter Conference - Feb. 8, 2012.
At the winter conference, I presented a shortened version of my 3 hour training course and discussion regarding the development of the Marcellus Shale and issues or concerns related to water quality and private wells.
This event will present a summary of the available information from the Wilkes University Citizen Database and make specific recommendations related to baseline water quality testing and how the Marcellus Shale is a Factor in making changes with how we manage our water resources. This event will provide insights into the background issues and concerns in Northeastern Pennsylvania, how the industry could be using the baseline data, and a summary of the available data to date. This cost is being offered as a traditional classroom course and a webinar.
This course will cover:
1. Baseline Groundwater Quality in Pennsylvania
2. Issues Related to Private Wells
3. Background Levels of Methane Gas and elevated levels of bacteria, iron, manganese, arsenic, lead, phthalates, bromide, strontium, barium, and contamination associated with saline water.
4. Conceptual pathways for natural methane gas migration and saline water migration.
5. How to Educate and Inform the Public.
6. The Need to Use Baseline Data to Make Decisions about a Project, Project Risk, and Vulnerability Analysis.
7. Working as a Community.
This course is an opportunity to discuss how best to work with the private well owners and gain their perspective and understanding. This 3 hour workshop is a presentation and conversation to help you make good decisions and work with the Community. This 3 hour event is being held on March 9, 2012 in Wilkes Barre, PA. Webinar may be available if at least 6 individuals are interested.
The course is taught by Mr. Brian Oram, Professional Geologist and Soil Scientist with B.F. Environmental Consultants and this course is taught through the Wilkes University continuing education program.
Mr. Oram also provides continuing education programs in the areas of baseline testing, citizen and private well owner outreach, stormwater management, and land-based wastewater management, plus other distance learning programs.
A pdf version can be found at http://www.water-research.net/naturalgasPA/pdffiles/gettingthewater...