Open to any and all respectful discussions of our mutual interests,  in any state or county. feel free to go off-track here since there are no tracks.

Views: 12007

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

yeah. his side created the desperation. that's something to be truly proud of. here's a challenge for liberals. take a vacation to say Stannards NY. walk into a bar and scream, "i'm a Democrat." see how that works out for ya.

Aside from the politics, How about the destruction of much of the natural beauty of the state?  Bad enough to cover acres and acres of land with solar panels and huge pinwheels that rise hundreds of feet above the natural beauty of any state just to fatten a few bank accounts.

I wonder what will be left for our Grandchildren and Great grandchildren to enjoy in the way of the beautiful panoramic scenery that my parents and my siblings experienced not so many years ago?

What will they think about all of these wind turbines poking up with their blades broken and just hanging loosely from their spikey looking towers? Looking across one of the Finger lakes and seeing  nothing but acres and acres of huge solar panels where once were acres of fruit orchards and nurseries covered with beautiful flowers. All we have left are photographs in a few tattered magazines like" National Geographic or Life" for the generations to come, left to look at!

Granddad Ladd

not to worry. the Ithica liberal hypocrits will never allow the lake country to be used in such a way. it will be pushed out into the hinterlands among the po' folk.

Wasn't too many years ago our area was nearly dead except for a few family farms still holding on. Dairy farms  with a dozen milk cows were being replaced by beef cattle. Young folks left and abandoned the houses, acreage, old barns and not so old barns but still in great condition.. Well tended cropland and fenced in pastures could no longer produce enough dollar bills to pay to replace very expensive tools or even repair them. Such acreage soon went back to brush and trees. 

Years ago, (early 1960's) I worked for a young man about 7 years older then I. He was building a purebred Guernsey herd with intentions of opening a "GOLDEN GUERNSEY"  His milking barn was built out of smooth  tile with varnished hard wood partitions between each cow.  He had six large box stalls for maternity use or new calves. His farm was located at Brookville Pennsylvania. I might have stayed on except "Uncle Sam"  had me in his sights for service in the army. Brookville was also too far away from where I wanted to live anyway. Many years I took a detour to the Brookville area on my way to Lu's home area.  He had established a "GOLDEN GUERNSEY" milk outlet on the home farm.  However Interstate 80 took a great deal of his farm for their right of way. A couple years later I took that same detour. Brookville had expanded. His lifelong dream was no more! A huge new barn had been built an abandoned.

Looking up his name, I found out later that he had been killed in an automobile accident.  His name was Gene Harding. His farm was called Maplevale Farms.

Granddad Ladd

It's the way just about all family farms are going. They can't support themselves and as you mentioned, maintenance alone is beyond anything a single operation can handle. The only way the small farms survive these days are if the owners have good jobs - or other income - to support what has become an expensive hobby. Nothing beats the lifestyle of farm living, or the advantages of raising your family in the country, on a farm, but the work is hard and the pay is in the negative, except for the priceless advantage of being there. In truth, natural gas has given the family farm a new breath of life for those who still own their mineral rights and have a good drilling company. The gas under those acres has created a new cash crop that has allowed some of the small farms to stick around for another generation or so, at least. We have a small, 100 acre farm that has been in my husband's family since 1842. When it came to us we did our best to hang on, despite the overwhelming cost to maintain the aging equipment needed to maintain the land, and the lack of a cash crop other than hay and a few animals we raised - none enough to make the farm in the black. But we hung on and the land paid us back in full with the wealth underneath so we can still live and work the land, my husband's lifelong dream. Still an expensive hobby but the family cemetery holds 6 generations and will be our final resting place and our son and family are renovating the original farmhouse, built in 1842, and will live there with their 2 children, right next door. If not for the gas beneath the ground, what would become of these family farms, the backbone of America for generations?  More condos with huge ugly solar panels on the roofs? Another highway? The tiny footprint that an unconventional gas well pad makes is minute compared to the land it saves. Sure, there's truck traffic in the beginning but then you don't even know it's there. Protestors are confused people. I am 100% pro-drilling and not just because we are land owners in a unit. Marcellus gas is clean, leaves a tiny footprint in the region the wells are located, and has brought gas prices down to where people can afford to heat their homes in the winter. But, the additional advantage to me is the fact that they have saved the land that was disappearing.

Hi Lori! the acreage I live on was bought by my Great Grandfather. It was passed down to my father and finally to me. Of the 120 A. I own about 70. The rest is owned by  other members of my family. My own 70 A. will pass down to my son and grand son according to my Will. I am to be cremated and spread upon the land that I have loved and cared for  my entire 85 years. It has not been easy to hang on these few acres taken up by my Great Grandfather.   

Ayres Tuttle, my Great Grandfather from six generations ago established an INN for travelers nearly 200 years ago. My father was born in that very same house in 1905 about 1.5 miles away. 

(Just a little of my family history)

And now after all of these years just about all of the royalty money, less then $1000 per month,  goes for medical obligations, (Diabetic problems of my wife).  

Without stripping away all of the resources of our property, I'll bet that we are living a  much happier life then the folks that can only see  dollar bills and a big bank account as important.

All of the gas well workers, and pipeline ROW workers have been courteous and friendly. We are always notified when ever any of them are expected to on the property. 

Granddad Ladd

Mr. Ladd, Thank you for your stewardship and remarkable family heritage. Kind Regards

Bill,how many acres do you have in the Painter well Its producing 22 million a day.

the Painter production unit is quite unique in the entire M-U region. Encap via Travis Peak developed the Painter P1 test well @ approx. 7000' lateral. total unit length approx. 30000'. total unit acreage approx. 3400A. Eclipse took over via Encap and drilled P2 @ approx. 14000'. the plans show a total of 6 wells @ 1200' spacing for this unit. dilution is very high with just 21000' lateral and 3400A. an unfortunate design has created approx. 7000' of stranded land due to P1 short length. the potential equivalent of half the P2 production lost forever. this was a land grab by TP to HBP max acreage @ min. lateral developement.

also some unique negotiations took place between some landowners which remain unrecorded and off record. they get to the pad by magic.

OT,that is the largest unit as far as acres I have seen so far.

also the boundarys shape is unique. odd attachments included which cannot be drained, are included. bigger picture negotiations. 

RSS

© 2019   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service