Has anyone paid a lab to sample and test their water before drilling?

If you are outside a defined radius of the drill bore, several companies will not test your water prior to drilling.   I would appreciate any information on labs you used; who, what testing level (1, 2 or 3), how much did it cost, how responsive were they to your questions, your overall impressions?   That kind of thing.   Thanks.

Views: 2240

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm seriously thinking about it so will be watching replies. Do you know the drill bore radius?

My lease with Antero lists 1500' from the well bore.   The Gulfport Shugart 1-H lists 2000'.

In W Pa CHK had water wells tested within a 3,000' radius from the well bore. 

Thank you Hiker & craig, appreciate that info.

alloway 3-5-12 level 3 good responce columbiana co fairfield twp cost then 592$

I had my well tested by Ream and Haager Labs out of Dover Ohio (330-343-3711). At a cost of around $600/water source. I was within the radius of the proposed well site (2000 feet radius)

R&H had to be there at the same time CHKs lab Tecs and they took samples simultaneously. I got the results back from R&H in about 2 weeks (CHK took about 6). The results did not match exactly but were all within the ballpark.
SAIK Labs tested for CHK. I'm sure CHKs costs were lower because of the amount of wells they were testing, but I think it shows some level of responsibility to land owners.

There should be a list on the DEP website of accredited labs to get your water tested.  If not, a quick call should get it for you.  It's been suggested to me by numerous people to also do independent test on your water for a base even if your O&G company is also doing one.  Make sure you are using an accredited lab, as they will hold up in court/ etc. 

Thanks to everyone for the information.

Norman:  What is the significance of the numbers 3-5-12 from Alloway (date?)

is the date it was done  chk had one done a little later both were  real close to the other. the tests  are good i think for 1 year i would do it again if a lateral would come my way

Thanks Norman.  I'm leaning towards Alloway unless someone else comes in strong.  They have several very complete lists of tests to choose from.  Pricing OK.

Agreed that it should be an accredited lab, but be careful. Microbac just lost their DEP papers. I'm told people should test for Tiers 1, 2 and 3 or contaminants, plus radioactivity and also do pre-drill radon testing in their basement.

Are you concerned about chain of custody? I looked into Alloway  recently but didn't follow up because if I'm understanding their website correctly, it's a mail-in situation. I've read somewhere that chain of custody can matter if something comes up in court later? 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service