According to Laura Legere in today's Scranton Times:

Eight of the 10 top-producing wells for the half were Cabot Oil & Gas Corp. wells in Dimock and Springville townships, Susquehanna County, including the top producing well, the King 2 in Dimock, which produced 3 billion cubic feet of gas.

Cabot's King 2 well also had the best daily average production over the period, producing 16.5 million cubic feet per day.

Read more: http://thetimes-tribune.com/news/marcellus-gas-production-in-state-...

Kind of makes Cabot O & G the team to beat, eh?

Views: 2336

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

thanks...interesting.

cabot owns much of the utica rights in crawford county pa. underneath range resources.

Gary,

Would you expand on that. My family has land in Crawford and in Mercer on the county line. What is the Range/Cabot link? Over the years my parents Cabot dealings went to Range. We are still catching up. Thanks.

jeff, i happened to find out about this while talking with the largest landowner in crawford county. i then asked a range employee and he confirmed the fact that cabot kept the deeper strata. don't know where the cut=off is. linesville last year a driller built two sites, moved in  a rig to drill, started drilling and found out they didn't own the depth they were going to. pulled out.how dumb is that? anyway, i'll bet if you are near cohranton,utica, new lebanon that cabot owns the deep. don't know about the west of the county but thos drillers in linesville found out something. it really doesn't amount to anything other than the facy cabot is pretty big, they may get over here and poke some holes.

Now that the EPA's very preliminary test results seem to bear out that well water in Dimock is "safe to drink", and despite any contrary findings about methane (non-toxic) dissolved in the ground water, perhaps it might be worth considering whether or not Cabot has been targeted by those who really do not want the U.S. to develop its shale gas reserves, especially the Marcellus. Does it, at least in part, help explain the vociferousness of the media attacks on this highly productive American company? Following EPA's initial findings, here's how the story is now being spun.

Read more

NICHOLSON, Pa. — State environmental regulators say a faulty natural gas well contaminated the water supplies of three northeastern Pennsylvania homes with methane.

The Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection says an improperly constructed well casing at the Cabot Oil & Gas Corp. well in Lenox Township, Susquehanna County allowed methane to contaminate the aquifer.

Three private water wells were contaminated. A DEP spokesman tells The Times-Tribune of Scranton a fourth is still being evaluated.

The violation notice sent in September says the dissolved methane in one well was 57 milligrams per liter on August 18. It was 0.3 milligrams per liter before the drilling.

Cabot spokesman George Stark says the company takes the matter seriously. The company is supplying water to two homes. The methane level has decreased in a third well.

Would you say a little more about what the downside of having your well "contaminated" with methane is? Methane is a non-toxic, orderless gas that is probably naturally occurring in half the water wells in that area. While it is highly flammable, when properly vented presents very little danger of fire or explosion.

Air is also normally dissolved in water. Would you say that water is "contaminated" with air too? I'm curious about what risks you imply about methane in the water wells. These infractions cited by DEP are essentially moot unless there is also a cause belli.

Ok...one downside is that methane in your well water can explode and cause a cement pad to go flying into your neighbors yard (Dimock) or blow your house off its foundation and catch fire (Bainbridge).  I probably would call that both a fire and health hazard. Another downside is that it is not good to breath like when you take a shower or run water or it escapes into your house thru other means because it can make it hard to breath because it's an asphyxiant.  To properly remove methane at these levels (57 ppm)  from your well water is very expensive to construct and costly to maintain. Another downside (if your not rich).
However, I guess if you know your going to have methane in your well water before it happens and you have enough money and time to construct a treatment system or connect to city water, having methane in your water is less of a hazard and downside. Simply venting your well casing with a vent pipe doesn't do it either, you need to aerate the water which requires underground tanks, pumps and other equipment.  On the other hand, air in your well water might cause some pump cavitation but other than that there is probably no downside. Don't know what "cause belli" means in this context.

Ji... I'll tell you what's a real bummer.  Freezing to death in the dark.  Water is hard to drink or bathe with when its frozen.  Those are real downsides... but you go ahead and pump the enviro side of the equation. 

unbelievable.

I only meant that if it "ain't broke, why fix it". From what I can gather, methane in well water is pretty common both in western PA and the northeastern part of the state. It can have a variety of causes besides oil and gas wells, although leaking wells are certainly a big issue and there are tens of thousands of them, both active and abandoned. Other causes can include coal seams, landfills, pipe lines, or migration from bedrock. Even shifts in the barometric pressure can cause gas to migrate. It's not so easy to detect methane, since it is oderless and colorless, without aid of a gas sniffer.

People who live in these areas are used to dealing with this problem. They vent their wells and use aeration systems when required. Oil and gas well owners are responsible for fixing any gas leaks, or if a well owner can't be located, then PADEP is supposed take care of orphan wells. Gas explosions can occasionally occur, but they are treated like any other household calamity such as a fire or water damage. Homeowner's insurance covers it. The Lenox Township property owners, mentioned in this article, the ones that have elevated methane levels in their water wells, may indeed have a cause for legal action against owners of the natural gas well--assuming they can prove that the cause of methane contamination was the gas well.

Cabot appears to be working with the property owners and bringing them replacement water, so that's a good thing, right?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service