Old thread much too long to follow. 

GRANDDADD LADD

Views: 7045

Replies to This Discussion

It is just aggravating as hell Old Timer.  We are led to believe one thing and then some of us make plans with what we are led to believe is factored in. Then for some, (NOT Lu Ann and I by the way), have to scramble to make adjustments.  And sometimes it is entirely too late make these adjustments.  

A good example might be the recent hurricanes.  Younger folks often have the thought, "It CANT HAPPEN TO ME!"    They make very bad choices. Some of these choices are dependent on choices made by...… Well, people who are in charge.  

Granddad Ladd

New information...  Check your Inbox!

Granddad Ladd

I had an incident pertaining to missing money while I was in the army OT.  I was stationed at one base, Ft Monmouth New Jersey.   Just before our paychecks were to be distributed, Orders were cut for four of us to be transferred to Homestead AFB in Florida. It was a special assignment TDA for 6 months.  Just before the 6 months  TDA was over The assignment area had to be moved and two other similar areas were set up.   One in Florida and the second in Puerto Rico. The Florida set up only required two men to set it up and run it.  I chose to go with the the Puerto Rico set up.  An area had to be laid out in a huge square in a heavily wooded area. Equipment  established in each corner.   A major operation.  5 of us plus an officer to arrange for needed help and material.

I was assured that my check would follow me. It did not!   It took many weeks and a couple of letters explaining exactly the situation of why the Homestead AFB was involved before my pay got to me.

Granddad Ladd.

Whoops......Not TDA! 

"TDY "   (Temporary Duty ")  Just a minor memory slip. 

Granddad Ladd

I WONDER IF THEY KNOW IT IS RAINING LIKE CRAZY?

GRANDDAD LADD

Is the Douglass impoundment finished or even started yet? I have not been able to get over that way for a few weeks. 

Seems that just when a few extra dollars show up in yours or in my pocket, a bill comes in taking every extra penny that found it's way to our pockets. 

To answer your question, Yes we do have gas service to our house. But I had it disconnected a few years ago because the cost was much too high considering what we were using.  They took the meter and locked the service pipe.

At the time I was well able to provide all the fuel needed for household use.  Then every so often gas company came with what I call "A Sniffer Stick"  to  be sure I had not by passed their service pipe.   

"DIG UP YOUR SERVICE PIPE  back to gas main."  I told them.

Have not seen them since then. 

We have always paid our bills and tried to keep them up to date. Our credit is good.

Granddad Ladd

Once they get started and get the machinery assembled on site, it does seems to go quite fast.

Granddad Ladd

Took a trip down the Ladd road late yesterday.  Township supervisors need to do a little more work.  Clymer TWP  has repaired washed out ditches. From the old Gridley farm down the hill past the old Ladd farmstead there is a trench quite deep running a couple of feet away  and parallel to the actual ditch.  A few hundred yards farther down hill, on the west side of the road, fist sized rocks have been placed in the ditch. But on the east side of that road, (same stretch), nothing at all has been done.

Granddad Ladd

Our yard is nothing but a mud pit.  We have to cross it to feed one of our dogs, An big Shepard.   He is in a large pen. Cant move it and cannot tie him with a chain. We have been driving our 4 wheeler thru the yard but nearly got stuck and had to back out. Ever day we have to pump our cellar with a large capacity pump. 

I half expect to see the hillside behind the house sliding toward house.  As it is, silt is causing problems too..

In my entire life I have never experienced such a wet rainy year!

Granddad Ladd

Tanker trucks have been rumbling up Broughton hollow road just about every morning about 6 Am.  And yesterday there was an 18 wheeler tanker jake braking down the hill. A day or two ago 18 wheeler loaded with a bulldozer heading down hill.  Painter pad still pretty active. 

Granddad Ladd

Westfield TWP roads being repaired must be up Crance  brook road from 49 to Sperry/Young cross road, up hill to Reservoir hill road "T"  and both directions to A-Pad and the impoundment.

Do I have this right?

Howland hill has been closed to gas drillers trucks, I presume partly because of inadequate bridge capacity and other dangerous conditions.   However township trucks have been adding gravel  to combat continuously   appearing rutty conditions.  

Granddad Ladd

Lu Ann and I discovered the road was closed just a few hundred yards from A-Pad.  We turned around at P-Pad entrance and came back home.

That area needed major repair for sure.  Lu and I had driven down thru there. Rocks almost as big as basketballs had washed into road, Were just able to squeeze between the rock and the trench created by the flooding.

Granddad Ladd

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service