We have been offered a preliminary lease in for mineral rights in Tyler County. 

We have done some research and found one Lessor who signed for mineral rights on 100% of the acreage.  Yet, the oil company's lease to us is for 25%.  How is this possible?

I trust mineral rights are listed on a deed and owe property taxes.  To my knowledge, there are no unpaid taxes, so who really owns these rights?

Can someone recommend a couple good attorneys in the area. I am aware of Nuttal and would like to have an alternative.

I am able to travel to Tyler in the near future.  I believe I can visit the Tyler County Govt office and do research on the subject property, both for surface and mineral rights.  Is this correct?

Are there any local owners' meetings in the near future? 

Any persons local to the area that I can communicate with before and during my visit?

Thank you.

Views: 1642

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

You need names for deeds. I haven't tried to find names to go with tax map and parcel numbers for the link provided on this thread. I'd that gives you names, the next step is to put those names into that database in the Tyler co link and see what you get. Finding mineral owners is probably more complicated unless the surface owner owns the minerals. I have read that a few WV counties are going to link tax map and parcel information to minerals and don't know if Tyler is one of them.
If you try it please let us know how it works.

Yes, you can obtain copies of deeds from the county, it's public information.

However, since you have a parcel # it appears you can get a copy of deed/lease online via the link above. (I don't have property in Tyler Co so had to fiddle with it.) These are the steps:

Go to link http://tylercountywv.com/,

Scroll down to Tyler County Web Base Tax and Document Inquiry, click this link just under it: http://129.71.117.165/ 

At the next screen is 'Document Inquiry' and 'Tax Inquiry'. Choose Tax Inquiry tab.

At the next screen you'll see a drop down menu for tax year. Choose something. (I'd suggest "All"). 

Just below Tax Year you'll see a drop down menu starting with 'Name One'. Click the down arrow there and you'll see an expanded menu of choices. Click Map-Parcel and input what you have. That should get you taxes paid, owner's name and billing address, etc.

Once you have an owner's name from the Tax info, go back to this page http://129.71.117.165/ and choose 'Document Imaging' tab this time. Names searches are always done last name first, no commas. As in Smith John. Put in owner's last and first name in the appropriate boxes. 

Next you'll get a listing of items under that person's name and whether it's a lease, deed, etc. Click "View" on the far left and that will take you to a copy of the document that you can print.

I would suggest even searching your name to see if anything comes up.

Thanks.  I tried that and the link is not working right now.  I will check it again later.  

Since I am not "in charge" on this deal, I am doing research "offline". 

The lessee is stating that they have done title searches on the surface and mineral rights(including the heirs).  However, they have not offered to show actual docs supporting their "research".....kinda makes you go hmmm.  I don't have the most recent proposed lease.  But, the lease wording that I have seen has the lessor(us) warranting title(and probably heirs).  Does not give you a warm and fuzzy feeling.

The subject area is in the heart of the Marcellus Shale. 

And, as I stated above, the signing bonus is offset against future royalties......grrrr.

Again, this requires an atty to look at the deal.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service