We had a man  come to our farm  today and wanted us to sign papers to let them do Seismic testing on our farm.  The mans name was Mike Allstead from SEITEL, out of Monaca, PA. He offered us $5.00 per acre on our 76 acre farm. They want to dig 40 3 inch round holes , 30 ft. deep, put blasting powder in the holes . ( My Husband talked to the man, I was not here)  He told the man he needs to talk with me. I am to call him and set up a time after the Holidays to sign the papers. The man needs to come back and draw where the buildings and ponds are, on our property.  Has anyone else been aproached by this  company ? ANY information would be appreciated ! Not sure what to do ? Confused..... Many Thanks in advance for your information !

Views: 9331

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Nancy, I am just saying be "well" advised (no pun intended). Garys info looks to be very helpful, but to let someone on your property to collect info they will be making good money on without some significant share in the profits  doesn't make any sense to me. Being as a well is just two miles away tells me they already know there is significant gas in your area, so seismic testing may not be necesary.

I think your response to Gary is spot on. No need to be in a hurry.

God bless & Merry CHRISTmas!

Jeff.

Jeff,  Thank you so much for your reply. You have been Very Helpful !  All your information is really appreciated !  God Bless and Merry CHRISTmas to you too !  Thank you again !  Nancy

Nancy,

RE: "I have foals coming in the Spring and don't want the Moms upset.

RE: "Blind rescue animals"

As I understand it, you have 76 acres.

I do not know how your acreage is situated with regards to their planned survey.

I do not know how much of your acreage is in paddocks.

The seismic data contractor should have flexiblity with respect to how they acquire data. They usually can undershoot with minimal surface involvement.

It is possible that they can alter their plans in a manner that accomplishes their goals in a fashion that will not result in the possibility of negative impact to you or the animals in your charge.

Fully explaining your concerns and your exact situation might encourage the seismic data contractor to alter their plans in a way that satisfies all of your valid concerns.

3D surveys in our part of the World often utilize a combination of Vibrator trucks and shot holes.

As an example: they might use the Vibrator trucks (along public roads or on unpaved lanes on your property) instead of explosives in shot holes. It is possible that they might use shot holes ONLY in areas quite remote to where your animals might be present.

It is possible that could place only the recording equipment on your property - with shot holes on adjoining properties (again removed from where you would have your animals.

What the Seismic Data Contractor could do to fully address your needs/concerns would be a function of the planned geometry of their survey and how it relates to the physical relationship of your property to their planned survey geometry.

There is what the Seismic Data Contractor would like to do; then there is what they are willing/able to do to accomodate you necessary and valid needs/concerns.

I fully appreciate your concern for the animals in your charge.

I have no doubt that you will impress upon the people that animals come first and that their desire to obtain data comes in as a distant second (or third).

Hopefully the Seismic Data Contractor can impress you in a manner that allows you confidence that they GENUINELY are prepared to share and accomodate your concerns.

If you are able to come to a mutual agreement ... get every single fact in writing ... in easily understandable unambiguous language, on company letterhead and signed by a Company representative.

Agree to do only what you feel fully comfortable with ... and try not to loose any sleep over this.

Good luck,

JS

Dear Jack Straw, Yes, You are right.....The man said that they could set  these off away from the animals. I will take in all the information that you have graciously given to me. I might add...Thank you for all your oppinions and writings on this site. I have read most of your articals and have learned a LOT from you ! I am very sure...you have helped Many people from your knowledge. Thank you again and God Bless, Nancy

While I agree with most of what you listed Jeff, I would like to add that IF you were to lose your water well it would only because your well needed fixed to start with. A properly installed water well should have absolutely no problem. As far as the water aquifer your well taps into,  I've been around those charges once and I don't believe they could alter the flow of water by any stretch.

IN regards to #5- There must not be enough of the proper geological info available or these folks wouldn't be spending tons of money trying to get it done. Remember they have to sell the info to make any money, which means someone out there wants it.

Overall, I'd probably be inclined to let them do it while letting them know my concerns.   My 2 ¢

Good Luck Nancy in whatever you decide.

Yeah Craig !   I was hoping for a responce from you !  You have helped me so much in the past, I just hated asking for more !  You are always there for me.......Thank you !!!!!  YOU are the one that has taught me to LEARN MORE !   I am still trying and still learning..Thanks to you.....  God Bless, Nancy  ps. Your 2 cents worth is worth EVERYTHING to me !

Nancy, if you may want to consider the ramifications of gas drilling, on your health, your property value, and with your neighbors. Gas leasing is not a cure all for problems, and may lead, as it often does, to bigger problems. Know what you are getting into before you sign on the dotted line.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5QqidiEEHw&list=PL062539BFB8A2B2D4

Thanks Scott, I will view the video you sent to me in about 10 minutes.  Your time and views are Greatly Appreciated !   Thank you !  Merry Christmas to you and God Bless.......... Nancy

NANCY SOME THINGS PEOPLE HAVE TOLD YOU ARE VERY TRUE. THEY GIVE YOU NOTHING AND SELL IT AT A MEGA PROFIT!!!!!! THE SIGNALS CARRY OUT FAR ENOUGH THAT THEY DO NOT EVEN HAVE TO ENTER YOUR LAND TO GET THE READINGS. I HAVE HAD PROBLEMS WITH ANOTHER COMPANY WHO ENTERED. THE LAND WITHOUT PERMISSON. THEN MADE ALL KINDS OF STATEMENTS THAT I SHOT AT THEM BUT NEVER WENT TO THE POLICE. WE WENT TO FEDERAL COURT AND WE REACHED A CONFIDENTAL AGREEMENT TO ALLOW THEM TO TEST. OF COURSE THEY TRASHED THE PROPERTY AND WOULD NOT FINISH CLEANING IT UP. IT TOOK ME A YEAR TO GET THEM TO PAY ME FOR WHAT THEY DID! THEY HAVE NEVER LIVED UP TO THE SETTLEMENT AGREEMENT AND THEIR LAWYER TOLD LAWYERS AT A PA BAR ASSOCIATION MEETING DETAILS OF THE AGREMENT. THEY ARE ALL LIARS AND TRY TO CHEAT PEOPLE LIKE THE GAS COMPANIES HAVE DONE. THE COMPANIES NAME WAS GL---- GEOPHYSICAL. ANOTHER ONE WANTS TO GET ON ANOTHER PARCEL AND WILL NOT PAY A PENNY.

Just had Seismic testing done on my land no problums at all payed for the corn and beans that went through I would do again.

Southern Lawrence County Pa.

Thanks Mike for your reply !  Much Appreciated.   No problems with well water ?  I was wondering how loud the booms were....Would they upset animals or horses?  Did your ground tremble from the booms ?  Thank you for your help .  Nancy     May I ask you how much they paid you per acre ?  They offered me $5.00 per acre.

Donald, So sorry for all the problems you have had...just hope they can be resolved in time. Sounds like they made Life just terrible for you !  NOT FAIR !  Thank you for the information you have given me. I don't think that the trouble and Monies are worth it. Trying to learn all I can. All your information is greatly appreciated.   Many Thanks, Nancy............still learning........

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service