have ten acres on Straw cutter road near keiser lane. This land was my mothers but she sinced passed away. She was approached by two companys before she died but she never leased it. I know everyone around this property has leases but ours. Can anyone give me advice who to contact to Lease (Williams). Thanks Don

Views: 1978

Replies to This Discussion

I know it's the gas drillers too - some of them drive like they are in Texas, but the locals don't help matters any either.

At least Action For Animals moved - so now that's not reducing the value of the houses up there.

I would rather see ten gas wells from my front porch than a neighbor's house. I guess it depends on what people value - I value preserving the open space, even if it means there's a gas well in the field.

Then What? Then it can all go back to farm land? Maybe that's what will eventually happen.

The gas co. employee's definitely drive like maniacs.  I think most of them are sub contractors though. 

I have to agree with Carol, I would much rather see gas wells than more houses.  I moved to Derry so I could get away from all the housing plans in the suburbs. 

I don't think Derry is going to have as big a problem as you think with people concerned about their property taxes.  If anything it will be to keep them from going up.  When people start receiving nice royalty checks they are going to build bigger homes, and buildings, and additions to their houses which will bring in more tax revenue not less.  Property values are going down almost everywhere in the country.  I have not heard anyone say it is due to the gas wells. 

Derry Township isn't as financially depressed as you think it is.  Derry Boro maybe.  The township just doesn't have the tax base that other areas have because it is so rural.  I see a lot of nice houses with nice country surroundings in Derry. 

Now, if I was a landowner who didn't own my gas rights, then I could see getting a little upset about things.  It definitely makes it easier when you are receiving something in return. 

I am the one that lost the water from drilling on Marco's. We lost water at the beginning of drilling for each well but it is flowing again. Williams was and still is great to deal with - they brought me water and they are testing my well water today. I don't know about Uschak road area, but I can tell you there was most likely already methane in the water wells on Banocy Road. I never drank my well water and never will but it's not because of the drilling - it's probably because my water comes out of an underground coal mine. That was determined when I lost the water - they hit a abandoned underground mine in the Pittsburgh seam, water gushed out of the mine, and I lost my water. Obviously, my well water is not clean to begin with but that's what's always been there.
I keep in constant contact with Williams and I strongly support the drilling.

And, in case no one has heard - a large deep mine, coal mining project is supposed to be starting soon - going right under Zajdel's, Marco's and on to Uschak's. The entrance to the mine is planned for near Dixon's trucking on Route 981. This includes coalbed methane gas wells. I was approached with leases last week.

Do I expect that I could lose water permanently, maybe, but I'll deal with it. I'm more concerned I will lose water with the coal mining, if it takes place.
I am 100% in support of the Marcellus drilling and hopefully Utica drilling very soon.
Can you prove that?  Derry Township has historically had issues with coalbed methane NATURALLY migrating into the fresh water aquifers.  I find it hard to believe that even a defective shallow well could cause methane to seep into your water supply, since the shallow zones are still on the order of 3,500' and deeper.  Plus, at aquifer level there are at least three layers of casing and cement protecting the integrity of the wellbore.  You would have to frack at over 20,000 PSI to penetrate that protection, and Marcellus wells don't quite touch 10,000 PSI.  Call the DEP if you think you have an issue with your water and I would almost guarantee they tell you the same thing I just did.  I don't wish to be confrontational, but don't make accusations like this without proof to back it up.  I'm glad water buffaloes were provided, but don't take that gesture as a sign of guilt.  The only other possible explanation for losing water is that your well water source was actually a naturally fractured reservoir and when the shallow casing was cemented it shifted the interconnected permeability of the aquifer.

I sure hope you are not replying to me because Williams DID admit that I lost my water due to their drilling - when I called them they explained exactly what happened and exactly when I lost my water.  (I didn't know right away because I have a few hundred gallon storage tank and only realized it when that tank ran dry.)  I am in complete support of the industry but I also know there have been problems and when the company is responsible, they usually volunarily take care of it.  I also worked in the industry for a major gas and oil company and a large water transfer company - I have heard and seen what could happen.  There are claims paid for damages that never get publicized in any way.  However, the companies try to take care of any problems they cause.

I also agree that some wells around here probably had methane  before this drilling even started.  Almost all of Androstric road, Fairview lane, Uschak Road, etc. have been mined for coal.  That's most likely where the methane is coming from - coal seams and coal mines. 

DEP has investigated and still tests water in the area at regular intervals.  Residents currently with methane have water tests taken BEFORE gas drilling that state Zero methane.  Shallow well drilled by Rex off of Uschak Road has been identified by DEP as defective due to cement casing that is defective and creating an unstable environment.   Pressure on that defective well was lowered at DEP request and methane levels dropped in homeowners wells.  Permit for the well has been revised by DEP so that well can only operate under lower pressure guidelines.  However, homeowners still have methane and sulfur smells in water that were not there previously.  Everything is on record with DEP.
Defective cement on a Rex well is unfortunately not unheard of.  They experimented with some different blends a few years back, but I was under the impression it was before the Derry wells.  I could be wrong.
@ Industry Watcher:  I would be curious to know more regarding the Rex cement issues.    Do you have a source where I could read more?  Since you seem to have knowledge in this area I wonder do you work within the industry?   With regards to Rex's cement issues... are they in PA or outside of PA?
Nancy,
I remember reading about the cement issues also - maybe search the DEP website and Tribune Review. I think there is information on those sites. I think one of the issues was in Butler County. Sorry I don't have more definite information - I don't have time to search where I found the information in the past. Just thought I'd try to help you locate the info.
Don,

You can also contact Nick Criado 724-288-7722 or email landman2550@gmail.com

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service