While some complain that extracting natural gas from shale rock is tainting their water supply, others who have allowed drilling on their property are getting wealthy and becoming "shaleionaires." Lesley Stahl reports, Sunday, Nov. 14, at 7 p.m. ET/PT.

Read more: http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=7045730n&tag=contentMain...

Views: 1210

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Encana pulls operations out of county
Firm says drilling in Lake and Fairmount townships reveals insufficient natural gas.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We will stop them all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MORATORIUM NOW!!!!
you are missing the point or do not want to hear the truth. in dimrock the methane in the water wells is from shallow gas not marcellus. yes it was relased by a marcellus drilling operation, but also has happend hear in weatern pa. from a land owner drilling a water well. did you ever hear of coal bed methane? as for insufficient natural gas take a look at the senaca site in the covington area!
I only have a few acres too but and (extra) income is welcome
To part of it:
It's not greed - we have access to a great natural resource that is cleaner than oil and coal. We own the mineral rights and have the right to share in this wealth. There are going to be quite a few new millionaires in my area very shortly - some already are - because of the Marcellus Shale drilling. These are people who have worked hard all of their lives to maintain their land - I am thrilled for them! There are people on my road who have no idea about the amount of royalties they are going to receive. I would love to see their faces when they receive their first royalty check. And, as I said, I hope to join them soon and I think I will. I bet you don't own much land, mineral rights, or maybe already have money that you didn't work for. I don't know what your situation is, but it sounds to me like you are jealous. Usually, only jealous people wish bad things on others.
By the way, Honda makes a fifty state legal natural gas vehicle. It is a civic converted to natural gas. http://automobiles.honda.com/civic-gx/ The home owner gets a natural gas compressor for the home that compresses a tankful over night and you are good to go up to 300 miles the next day. If you travel far there are natural gas stations out there. At one time I worked for Norgas and converted vehicles to run on propane. It is a simple conversion.
Yes, the car can be driven in all 50 states, but is available for purchase in only 4 states, due to the non-legality in most states of the home natural gas compressor. As you said, there are natural gas stations "out there" but in many cases they are attached to government facilities for fleet vehicles and not available to "civilians." Here's a current map: http://www.cngprices.com/ I've been trying to pursue this issue for years.
What is wrong with you? This site is gomarcellusshale.com. And you support a moratorium? That would be a BIG mistake for PA to make.
I agree Carol, what a great opportunity for PA
I'm not jumping with joy at the prospect of the gas companies pulling out, but let's face it--a moratorium might be a good idea while the DEP is able to look at the lack of regulation that has been exploited by gas drillers in NEPA. Now that the EPA is finally looking at the "Halliburton loophole" regarding fracking chemicals, it may mean a slowdown in fracking activity anyway. What's the rush? There's plenty of money to go around. Why not preserve the beauty and resources that we have all grown up with. We owe it to the next generation to insist on better practices. (For example, in the Barnett Shale in Texas, concrete casings must be cured for 72 hours minimum. Here in PA, the standard is 24 hours). There are people who are holding out due to these issues--landowners who have ties by heritage to the area as well as relative newcomers who would like to live out their days in the area. Water is the most valuable resource of all, and is irreplaceable at any price. There are just too many "unknowns" to be accusing people of anything other than thoughtfulness and concern.
The biggest issue with a moratorium would be that many of the landowners would die before they ever had a chance to earn a cent from the land they have scraped by to pay for all this time. The average age of landowners is quite high (I go to hearings, meetings, and am a member of landowner groups) based on the statistics and the individuals I have met in the last two plus years working on this.
Anyone who is concerned that the act of fracing a well could cause any toxins to migrate up into water wells has not bothered to consult the people who understand these things. I have made a point to speak to any and all geologists about this, and in addition we have letters from EACH AND EVERY state where wells have been frac'd stating that NO water has ever been contaminated from the process.
The news and TV have jumped at the "death and destruction" headlines that are spread around by certain groups like PRoPublica and Damascus Citizens, and literally dozens of baby organizations spawned by these types (who tend to ALWAYS have a DONATION button on their front web page if you haven't noticed) because terror sells news.
But that kind of news is not real. Please take the time to understand the reality.
I am in complete empathy with our older people, but I am also concerned about future generations. The DEP acknowledges that even the act of drilling a well (before fracking even takes place) can compromise the aquifers through which the drilling passes, causing migration of methane. Thus yesterday's vote. http://www.portal.state.pa.us/portal/server.pt/community/newsroom/1...
Methane migration is present in many wells in the area and has been since the first water wells were drilled.
When landowners have their water tested BEFORE natural gas drilling, many are found to already have methane.
You can check with Wilkes University, the DEP, and any local water well driller to verify.
That has nothing to do with frac chemicals or frac fluid.
The important thing is to learn the reality and know what the differences are.
In addition, we have worked for the past several years to change gas leases to make them protective to all water supplies and the environment. That is a done deal.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service