Any 411 on selling water to the gas folks- I have a lake on my property

Do private landowners with large amounts of water on their property 'sell' water to the gas folks for fracking, drilling, etc .. ?  I'm in Southwest Beaver County, PA and have a 6 acre pond-lake on my property...  Any thirsty drillers around... Any 411 on the possibility would be great.

Clueless with a lake !

Views: 2347

Attachments:

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Lisa, Don't sell them the water.Sell them ACESS to the water.

That is basically what a water utility does, right?  Because no one owns the water.  So how is selling them access any different than what a water utility does.  That's my issue, if water utilities are not selling water but access then anyone doing that may also fall under PUC jurisdiction.  I have a call into the PUC law bureau.  I'll let you know what I find out.

Lisa,

Interesting at the least.  I am going to check it out here in Ohio.  I know Ohio law allows for landowners to USE water from sources on their land to a great extent.  I don't know if selling it is considered use.

Lisa,

The utilities you are referring to sell public drinking water, although you may wash your car with it.  From my memory if the law is still current, in Ohio a land owner may sell 100,000 gallons per day to a drilling company without a permit.  In PA, you are on the right track to check with the PUC.  There may, or should be a difference between drinking water and fracking water.

I have water in Morgan County Ohio I would like to sell to drillers if I can find any of them interested. I have a 100,000 gallon water tower with two 500 gallon per minute pumps that can replenish it in a couple hours. It is almost like having city water without being in the city. If anyone know who I can talk to about selling this water and for what price, I would sure appreciate it.

I wouldn't do it. A friend of mine sold his pond water, but the trucks that haul the drilling waste water are the same ones that haul the fresh water. His pond ended up with all the fish belly up and a strange green algae that he never had before. He suspects that some of the left over waste in the hoses they used to suck the water up ended up in the pond and killed the fish, but can't prove it. 

Interesting point and, one worth including in the negotiation...having the company provide an "after care" clause to benefit the land/pond/water owner.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service