Detail to follow...

-RDJ

Views: 3418

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

It means they would rather have the capital from selling the non-core now then potentially more capital later from developing it.  Oil & gas companies have limited resources and will focus on their most prospective acreage positions, which they call core.  The acreage in non-core areas is worth somewhere between zero and less than core acreage.  

Additionally, sometimes a company will try to consolidate their acreage, which makes it cheaper to operate, and sell off some great acres that are not near the rest of their position.

600 million$ is only 40,000 acres @ 15,000/acre. Doesn't sound like much land to them....? Does anyone know how many total acres Chesapeke has sole lease rights to? Heck , single group deals have had this kind of acreage involved. Curious to know where this acreage is though.

Does anyone think part of the sales announced today are for the bundled acreage they had for sale in Ohio? I think all bids on that closed the end of Aug. Would that acreage be considered non-core? My mind jumped right to that when they said "in four seperate transactions chesapeake has recently sold or entered into purchase and agreements to sell noncore assets in the Utica Shale...."

New data point:  the $600 million received for acreage in the Utica and other regions, $125 million was for acreage the Woodbine.  That leaves at most $475 million received for acreage in the Utica.  

My silly wild a$$ guess is $180 million for 40k acres the Utica and $295 million for areas other than the Utica and Woodbine.  Consume your salt now.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service