Mike Knapp just added a new blog entry concerning the growing problem of dwindling landowner rights.
Check out http://knappAP.blogspot.com. written on December 28th! Right on,Mike!

Views: 3550

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mike; thanks for the info. I am along the Utica transition line, hopefully there will be significant wet gas fractions there.

Your bus analogy is great because it mimics the baseless emotional attacks used by environmental groups and, frankly, all people on the left.  Even the 99% crowd uses the same tactics. It would be great if we could use the same games against them. I would love to do a "documentary" showing Micheal Moore's hypocrisy. Maybe do one of his type of attacks on the solar industry which is ripe for the picking.  Any financial backers out there? We'll call it "$$un Burned"

When anti-drillers critique gas wells, they look at the entire process, not just those couple of pipes and tanks that sit there mostly silent, out of view, and not bothering a soul.   However, when they look at solar or wind, they only want to look at those completed panels and functioning mills.  They don't want to think about the giant neodymium mines, and the nitrogen trifluoride and sulfur hexafluoride (greenhouse gases 17,000 times more powerful than CO2) that come with them.   Google "windmill environmental impact" and you will see that there is a whole segment of "windivists" who argue as passionately against wind as some here argue against gas wells.  They are NOT well liked where they are installed. 

Have been wondering for some time now..... what is the ratio of land used by a windmill vs land for gas wells to get the same amount of energy say over a ten year span?

Many of the wind farms are located in mountain passes.

These are natural physiographic features through which winds are funneled.

Sadly, these mountain passes are historic flyways through which migratory birds have traveled for ages immemorial.

The resulting ornithological carnage is appalling, as flocks of migratory birds are hacked to bits by the blades of the windmills.

Amongst the migrating birds are those of endangered species.

As a bird lover, I look upon these wind farms as ornithological Auschwitz-Birkenaus. I am not overly emotional, but it truly brings a tear to my eye.

But, all this is OK – after all (no matter how inefficient, no matter the carnage) windmills are green energy.

JS

I live in the Immature zone southern ohio.  Do You know if they will be drilling there.

Are the lines of the Utica definite or is that just what has been studied so far.

Georgia, I'm not sure how accurate or in depth that map is.  We don't operate in Ohio and I have little knowledge of how the formation lays out there. I wish you the best of luck though!

Mike

Thank you.  I am new to all of this.  I live in one county that  they are drilling in but live in town, no acreage.  I own property though that is considered immature.  Can u enlighten me on what that means.  Is it bad for prospective drilling.  Thank you for ur quick response before. 

Assuming that the map boundaries are correct, "immature" indicates that in this area (near the shallow edge of the basin) the Utica Shale has never been buried deep enoungh for oil to be present.

In order for oil to be present, the organic material in the rocks needs to have (at some time in their history) been buried sufficiently deep (where the temperatures are sufficiently high) such that the organic material is "cooked" into oil.

RE: " Is it bad for prospective drilling."

If the Thermal History of Utica Shale indicates that the rocks are "immature" in your area; there is nothing present in the Utica Shale. There is nothing to dril for.

JS

Jack would that be the scenario for all the layers of shale or just certain depths? thank you

Where the Utica Shale is found to me immature, I would expect the more shallow shales (such as the Marcellus Shale) to likewise be immature.

Deeper than the Utica Shale the Thermal Maturity boundary between immature and oil would migrate westward.

I am not sure whether there are any suitable source rocks or reservoirs present below the Utica Shale in areas where the Utica is immature. It does not look encouraging.

All in my humble opinion.

JS

What do you know about the Trenton Black River formation that lies below the Utica?

Finnbear,

Unfortunately, not all that awful much.   We've got our hands full with the Marcellus right now. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service