From Fortune magazine:

"Researchers found that fracking chemicals damage the reproductive health of male mice.

new study shows that chemicals associated with hydraulic fracturing, an oil and natural gas drilling technique more commonly known as fracking, have been linked with a decreased sperm count in male adulthood, according to a press release by the Endocrine Society. ...

They exposed pregnant mice to these chemicals in levels that reflect what humans likely face from wastewater and from drinking water that has been exposed to fracking fluids. When they observed the male offspring in adulthood they found that, compared to the control group, they had lower sperm counts..."

http://fortune.com/2015/10/16/new-study-connects-fracking-with-lowe...

Views: 3619

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Replied against my better judgement bu Jack M's reply was funnynenought to get my attention.

I agree with him.

Too many mice.

I used some of my o&g money for a vasectomy so yeah I guess.

If the Endrocine Society or any other concerned person is worried about low sperm count they should be out working to eliminate the vast amounts of estrogen that is in our sewer systems and in our water supplies.

Estrogen from soy, dairy, and animal waste id polluting our drinking water way more than any frack fluids have. And the estrogen is already causing major health and environmental problems. Anyone truly concerned about the environment would be fighting estrogen sources instead of something relatively harmless like fracking.

We can research both (both fracking wastewater and estrogen). It need not be one or the other. Why do you suggest we research just one of these two? Do you have evidence that estrogen is not being researched?

I never said anything about levels of research for either issue.  Nice diversionary tactic there. Too bad it didn't work.

I said if you were truly concerned about the environment and human health issues, you would be working much harder on estrogen pollutants as it is a much larger, much more widespread, and more dangerous issue. Thee are already multiple documented negative results for both human and nature due to estrogen pollution.

The big difference is contamination by fracking water is only a POTENTIAL problem (see EPA study), estrogen IS currently found in our water supplies. 

Great Replies!

No one mentioned the 5 year extensive study recently released by the EPA, who would have liked to have found serious widespread problems with fracking, but couldn't.  In that study, out of the millions of fracked wells, there were two incidences of drinking water supplies being exposed to fracking chemicals.  Hence the study had to be titled Fracking's POTENTIAL Impacts om Drinking Water Sources

It is well known in reproductive health care that wearing "jockey shorts" drastically lowers sperm count in human males. This, due to higher temperatures in the testes which must be a few degrees below the core body temperature to function properly. Now, as for mice, I don't know if they were wearing jockeys or just tight jeans during the test but isn't that what we want anyway, less mice?

Sorry folks, I know someone is genuinely concerned about fracking fluids (again) but, I just couldn't help my self.

Radio program on this endocrine disruption research, in "What The Frack" segment of Harry Shearer's "Le Show", from Oct 25.

Listen here:

https://soundcloud.com/leshowharryshearer/le-show-with-harry-sheare...

This is why I never drink from waste water holding ponds.

You should test your carpets and furniture for similar chemicals.
I've always practiced the same cautions.

And I 2nd your great advice.

the best part of this discussion is the comments.. is this article slightly biased?  Junk Science for sure.. but someone will beleive it's gospel for sure.." if you say it long enough some one will beleive it"

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service