Summer’s on the horizon and with it comes the promise of new beginnings – as college students receive their degrees and seniors walk the stage and embark upon their future. It’s an exciting and somewhat scary time of year filled with a mix of emotions over what these young adults will do with the rest of their lives. For the proud parents of these students in the Northern Tier of Pennsylvania, some of the anxiety for their children has been lessened in recent years with the rise of natural gas development and the jobs it has brought along with it.

http://eidmarcellus.org/marcellus-shale/oh-the-places-youll-go-than...

Views: 390

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Fang,

It's amazing how much it's increased here already. We're out in Lycoming County (Williamsport area) in PA and it's where a lot of companies have set up shop in the Northern Tier. My sister is going into archeology, so won't be looking at oil & gas jobs per say, but watching her walk that stage and knowing the better prospects in the region for her compared to 8 years ago when I graduated is a big relief. As the degree choices and such were being announced for each kid, my mom and I were talking and she couldn't believe the number of gas related fields the kids were choosing--not to mention the large amount of kids going straight into the workforce. It's just amazing the prospects they now have.

The biggest impact I believe you will notice is pockets of very high inflation.  Rent is going to go sky high but I don't believe locals will get hired to do much. 

70% of the workforce in PA is currently local. And individual companies have even higher percentages. Natural gas companies already are hiring locals. Not to mention contracting with existing local companies and spending money in the community allowing other business to be able to hire more employees.

Rent has gone up in part because of a lack of available housing, but so has the value of land and the price to buy a home.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service