Dr. Tony Ingraffea to Talk About Fracking at Butler Community College

Renowned authority on shale gas drilling, Dr. Tony Ingraffea of Cornell University, has been invited by Marcellus Outreach Butler to talk about the perils of fracking at:

7:00 pm, Thursday, November 21
Succop Theater
Butler Community College
107 College Drive, Butler, PA 16002

Free to the public. 

Views: 7494

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

DOWN WITH PLAZAS !, DOWN WITH PLAZAS !, DOWN WITH PLAZAS !

Surely plazas are more dangerous than shale development; just look at how many people have heart attacks each day. I'm sure it's more people than those with nose bleeds.

I/m all for it George! Let's march on Youngstown with Mark and Ron in the lead.  We can all carry and eat cans of beans and simply blow them away with organically made waves of methane...

Have you ever noticed how  threads like this one, started by an anti shale development  person get the most play ? And it usually ends up with we, the pro development folks, having the best time making fun of the idiocy of the thread. I can bet people like Paul or  Rodnut didn't see that coming. Kind of like the deer in the headlights... uh let's see I'm standin' in the middle of the road I wonder what those two bright lights might be ? Should I run should I stay BAM ! They never knew what hit 'em..They probably still don't get it; they're sitting in front of their computer in their mother's basement trying to come up with a witty come back like ... Oh Yeah!

Witty comebacks like "mother's basement" dont count?

NOYFB; but FYI -I'm a retired HQNASA engineer with my own house

- and to all of you FFs' great demise, a candidate for City Council.

So yes, you might imagine I get out once in a while.

I've stood at the cancer ponds and smelled the benzene fumes, that are even detectable two miles away from them.

I have friends with the nosebleeds and dead livestock. I know hunters who are seeing the dead deer in the woods, and kills too foul smellng and visibly polluted on butchering to take home for food.

If I wanted a deer I could pick up a baseball bat and get one in my own yard any evening.

But I'm saving that skill for when the frackers come.

The entire town will be going Elsipogtog Mi'kmaq when the nosebleeds (like so many now in the next door county,) start in the elementary school, a few thousand feet from the pads.

@ Chip you are far from right .This extraction process will never be totally safe or predictable and more and more people are seeing the truth beyond the PR from the NG industry .

Bill F,

Driving your car is not completely safe or predictable. Yet we all never give a second thought about getting into our cars.

BTW there are far more injuries and deaths associated with automobiles than there is with shale development.

When people drive and break the law (speeding or reckless ) they get punished .However when the NG industry ruins someone water ,air ,or quality of life they are told it's just fine because of their influence (money ) or lack of regulations and followup by the agencies in place to regulate them .In my experience there is very little comparison between these examples .Driving  is accepted and regulated by laws and compensation is much easier to obtain .The other is non zoned and a  heavy  industry done right next to people's homes  and is limited in reg's in place to prevent or compensate those that are harmed  for there screwup's without a lengthy process requiring expensive council ....anyone who things drilling a hole in the subsurface will not cause issues to some in my opinion has a lack of understanding for reality of the process.Variables are and will always occur .Anyone claiming different is simply BS'ing or producing a line of PR .Just the way it really is !

Bill,

You missed the point; you contend that shale development is so dangerous it should be stopped. Based on your premise we should outlaw driving it is far more dangerous.

Shale development is not unregulated. I have to admit you anti people are consistent and persistent. You persistently and consistently spew misinformation. Your last two posts are prime examples.

All human activities create "issues" The question is this, is the activity beneficial to our lives ? If so then the question becomes how to mitigate the "issues" not stop the activity. Through regulation and oversight shale development is one of the safest commercial activities in the U.S.

It is your contention that it is completely unsafe that is nonsense.

Sorry Mark ..I believe I have not missed anything .Your driving connection is just your way of trying to rationalize HVHF and it doesn't cut it for me.The comparison is just a plain head game. Save it for someone else . People that are not involved and have no  hands on experience with the process and people who have had issues caused by the NG extraction just don't get the point and won't until they or someone they know has a problem .I have seen the need for plenty more Reg's on this industry and have filed those needs with the Environmental Quality Board and will address them at the next hearing I attend in Feb.I have nothing against the use of natural gas ,I do have plenty of issues concerning the use of HVHF .As mentioned elsewhere "it will never be totally safe or predictable " and will always have variables .A "One Size Fits " approach the industry takes is just all PR .Not all wells produce issues but a percentage do and the rest create nuisances for those that are living near it ..Your line of "Through regulation and oversight shale development is one of the safest commercial activities in the U.S. " is just a line of BS to me .Save it OK !!

Bill,

...not rationalizing anything, just dealing with the facts. The fact is that hydraulic fracturing has never polluted the water table, or any source of water. People who have experience with the "process" know it can't. You obviously have no experience with the process.

BTW you have never cited one verified case of a nosebleed being caused by shale development.

My line about the regulation and safety came from a report produced by the GAO of the federal government. You can't accept it because like most environmental extremists you have made up your mind based an misinformation.

Cite one instance of HVHF has polluted water, just one. Verified by a responsible agency. Just one instance of pollution and one nose bleed.

@ Mark M ....Fracing is not the major concern with the extraction using HVHF it's the actual drilling that is causing most problems .I have seen it here near me and have water and air reports to prove it .Reports done by PA DEP and air tests by certified labs using suma canisters .I know quite a bit more about the whole process than you think .That statement of "Hydralic Fracing has never caused water pollution is old ,wrong and just a game used by the industry and you too ..Oh and I never mentioned about anything to do with noise bleeds either.Rashes ,fumes,odors,methane in wells Yes have  seen and documented all of this .Also seen illegal dumping ,spills on roads,well sites and silica dust plumes next to people's homes .I am working to try to stop this ...

Rod,

Please cite independent confirmation of nose bleeds associated with shale development.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service