I would like to learn about the current status of all O&G activity in Jefferson County, PA - specifically the Henderson Township region, Punxsutawney and Big Run locations.  Would welcome all e-mail replies!

Jim

Views: 2382

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

RON THE GET RICH GUY IS JUST LOOKING TO STEAL MINERAL RIGHTS ON THE CHEAP

Good morning -- just read the above and have several comments.   First I'd be really interested in knowing where Ross  Township is and Second that EQT just finished SEVEN wells back to back in Washington Twp  -- one with a 10,000 ft lateral  -- and seem pleased with the results so far.  The Dominion gang of 4 lines running to the East of the county into Luthersburg Station has capacity according those who should know but FM 100 is getting pretty full.   Enjoyed the above news and hope those with anything will contribute

From what I recall the (now owned by) Dominion Natural Gas Pipeline through Big Run consists of three parallel pipelines of varying vintages (one young, one middle-aged and one old):

1959/1960  - 20” Pipeline – now 55 years old (qualifies for the AARP Senior Discount).

1984/1985  - 30” Pipeline – no ‘spring chicken’ at about 30 years old.

1992/1993  - 30” Pipeline – the youngster at about 22 years old.

One of my ‘pet peeves’ is that it is difficult (or impossible) to learn the specifics as to what exactly is buried beneath a particular visible Right-of-Way. Home Land Security has made sure that much of the information which once was publicly available is now ‘need to know’.

The anticipated life of a steel pipeline installed 55 years ago is around 50 – 60 years; the pipeline that catastrophically failed in San Bruno, CA in 2010 was 54 years old at the time of its failure.

As pipelines of the vintage and diameter of the Dominion 20” pipeline usually cannot accommodate a ‘smart pig’ to allow for any meaningful ongoing safety inspections, that old Dominion 20” pipeline spooks the heck out of me; I would not wish to live any closer than 1000 feet from that pipeline - I (personally) view such an abomination as an accident waiting to happen. Of particular concern is that the need for additional throughput has been accomplished via the recent installation of additional compressor capacity (higher pipeline pressures); as opposed to increase in physical pipeline volume – a problematic solution when applied to an aged and aging system.

Significant improvements have been made in the quality of steel, quality of welding and in situ welding inspection, quality of corrosion coatings (internal and external), and ability of sacrificial anodes to protect since the Dominion 20”pipeline was installed; perhaps the pipeline installed in 1992/1993 will be able to safely last 80 -100 years, the 1959/1960 pipeline is another story.

I assume that this old (small diameter) 20” pipeline is still in service (if anyone knows differently, please let me know; if anyone is aware of Dominion’s plans regarding the existing 20" pipeline, please let me know); I am very surprised that this old (small diameter) 20” pipeline is still in service and has not been replaced with a new 36” or 48” pipeline. At the same pressure, a 36” pipeline can transport more than three times the volume of Natural Gas as a 20” pipeline; a 48” pipeline can transport almost eight times the volume of Natural Gas as a 20” pipeline.

There is a lot of stranded (or semi-stranded) Marcellus gas due in part to the lack of sufficient pipeline infrastructure,

there is a lot of stranded (or semi-stranded) Marcellus gas due in part to low market prices for (dry) gas,

there is a lot of stranded (or semi-stranded) Marcellus gas due in part to an oversupply of Natural Gas,

there is a lot of stranded (or semi-stranded) Marcellus gas due in part to the reluctance of the Operators to expend the significant monies necessary to frac and complete drilled wells when the market for the gas is soft,

there is a lot of stranded (or semi-stranded) Marcellus gas due in part to the lack of sufficient  desirable storage capacity (to allow for release in winter),

there is a lot of stranded (or semi-stranded) Marcellus gas due in part to awaiting the creation or expansion of industries that will benefit from cheap and plentiful Natural Gas,

there is a lot of stranded (or semi-stranded) Marcellus gas due in part to the fact that many of the rigs have moved West to exploit the more economically attractive Utica Shale,

there is a lot of stranded (or semi-stranded) Marcellus gas due in part to the time it takes to permit and negotiate such things as Right-of-Way,

there is a lot of stranded (or semi-stranded) Marcellus gas due in part to the need to accommodate return frac fluid and produced formation water,

there is a lot of stranded (or semi-stranded) Marcellus gas due in part to the fact that although the Northeast wants our Natural Gas – they do not want the pipelines that would deliver it,

there is a lot of stranded (or semi-stranded) Marcellus gas due in part to the need to develop the capacity to export LNG (the International market is already there),

and there is a lot of stranded (or semi-stranded) Marcellus gas due in part to the Operator’s fears and uncertainty over potential Government (Federal, State, County and Local) actions …..

when you put all the ‘parts’ of the jig-saw puzzle together, it shows a picture that demands patience; when you put all the ‘parts’ of the jig-saw puzzle together, you are looking at a story which might take forty years to fully play out. 

More to Leidy Hub:

There are hubs with few spokes ... and hubs that lack the rims that would provide the inter-connects to other hubs.

We need the ability to move Natural Gas form 'A' to 'B'; regardless of where 'A' and 'B' might be located.

Most of the existing infrastructure was designed to accommodate outdated circumstances.

In the area, much of the existing infrastructure was originally designed to accommodate the (much lower pressure) 19th-20th century shallow wells.

In the area, much of the existing infrastructure was originally designed to move Natural Gas into Ohio/PA/NY from the mid-continent and Texas/Oklahoma/Kansas Natural Gas fields.

Mid-stream companies will not move ahead on infrastructure until both a source and a buyer are present and contracts are negotiated and in place; once those are in place, they have to obtain ROW, regulatory approvals and (only then) construction.

Things do not happen overnight ... it is a story of hurry up and wait.

All IMHO,

JS

Jack...does all gas go through the Dominion pipelines to Leidy or does some of the gas go to the west?  I`m thinking specifically of the gas produced at Beaver Run Reservoir which would go north in a Dominion pipeline to interconnect at Rural Valley.  Will that gas go east or west?   Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us!

RE: " I`m thinking specifically of the gas produced at Beaver Run Reservoir which would go north in a Dominion pipeline to interconnect at Rural Valley.  Will that gas go east or west?"

I do not know the answer to your question.

An interesting development is (with the various shale plays) some pipelines are having their direction of flow reversed.

To figure things out in detail, one would need a detailed map of the various pipelines and how they interconnect.

I do not know of such maps being available in the public domain; after 9-11 and the creation of the Department of Homeland Security, much such information is not freely available. The fear of terrorist activity has resulted in a sort of paranoia which infringes upon the public's right to know.

An individual could come under suspicion for simply looking for such a map.

In some respects this is foolish, as you can easily follow many of the pipelines using Google Earth; so long as you have a starting point.

The one occupation sadly lacking on gomarcellusshale.com is a pipeline expert who knows the nuts and bolts of the pipeline systems (as they exist) in PA, WV, OH and NY.

Perhaps someone on the Westmoreland County PA site would know the answer to your question .... perhaps they might know to which hub that gas flows.

All IMHO,

JS

Thanks Jack...I`m not a terrorist :), just trying to figure out how all of this impacts my future receipt of gas royalties!  My interest was centered around whether that additional gas flow would overload the pipelines as you described earlier.   Thanks!

Jack -- in addition to the three lines you mention above there is a 10 inch that is transporting local production to Luthersburg.   I do not know if it goes any further.   JBB

JB - it seems EQT is really pursuing drilling in the central/east side of Jefferson County.  Will their gas go Luthersburg too, or to another pipeline in the northern part of the county?    It seems they will have a lot of gas to move away from Jefferson County soon.  

farmgas --  EQT's gas from the Washington Twp pads on Frano, Calhoun, the one in Polk and soon Weed are going into NFGs FM 100 that runs from  Sigel to  Renova/Lieghty.   It would be great if EQT could get to the big Dominion lines but that's a long way from the Beechwoods area.

Why are more leases not drilled in the Sigel area since this pipeline seems to have the capacity to transport?  I'm very close to the Sigel area with a year remaining on a five year lease, but it is with EXCO.  

Buddy: The take away capacity in the Sigel area is National Fuel Gas could be EXCO will not pay transportation cost. NFG FM 100 can interconnect to Leidy hub that is operated by Dominion. FM100 Heath station area northern Jefferson CO. could also send gas north to Canada from an interconnect at Overbeck.

What would be considered an average well production rate per MS well in Jefferson County, Pa?  Would the production rate be relatively consistent throughout the county or more productive in the northern tier or southern tier?  Any thoughts, Jack or anyone else.....

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service