Attached maps allow you to view all active and permitted Ohio wells from different angles.  You can select and view wells by county, township, operator or strata.  Pin color identify different well types and age: green pins show older production wells; lite green pins show domestic wells; yellow pins show either gas injection or waste injection wells; bright red show wells drilled or permitted within the last 90 days; dark red pins show well permitted or drilled within the last 6 months.  Well information is viewable by clicking the pin and links within the prompts show well production history.

If you want to see just Utica wells use the ByStrata map and select Utica.  If you interested in viewing new well activity open any of the maps and look for the lite and dark red pins.

I was updating these maps in a prior post 'Eastern Ohio well maps via Google Earth' but it was getting very long and disordered so I decided to restart a new thread.  All the well data is current, I’ll update them monthly or more frequently depending on feedback.

You can load multiple map files on your PC concurrently.  Once one or more files are loaded, you can turn on the areas of interest by clicking the sections in the index on the left side of the view.

I also included some of Philip Brutz's overlay maps. You can open and view these maps along with the well maps to see well location relative to geology aspects.

To view these maps you need the latest version Google Earth viewer. The free viewer can be downloaded at: http://www.google.com/earth

You are welcome to use these maps make you own edits and repost.

Enjoy.

Views: 16469

Replies to This Discussion

more updates.

Next week I'll attach a gas production spectrum map.

Attachments:

Following files are new google maps (and images) that analyze Ohio active wells by gas production.

The pin colors represent different well production levels, colors show the order from best to worse; dark red (best),  red, orange, yellow, green, dark green, black (no oil production).

First two map files require Google Earth viewer to view.  The other files are images showing different snapshots of production levels.

Attachments:

Several snapshots showing the Gas Production Spectrum maps via Google Earth.

Attachments:

Thanks for all the info. BICS.

Personally interested in extreme northeast Ohio - Ashtabula County.

Would like to see jpg's (snapshots) showing producing wells (both gas and oil), and Utica thickness for my County.

kmz's don't load for me as my cpu config. won't allow downloading the latest Google Earth Viewer - must be some kind of security issue or marketing disagreement kicking in.

If you have the time - the jpg's would be very useful info. for me.

Also, personally, I can't get too excited about wells in production; as not too many Utica wells are producing; and those that are, happen to be located in southeast Ohio.  Only two (2) horizontal bore wells in the Utica have been developed in southeast Ohio that I know of thus far.

The whole Utica Point Pleasant Play is all about unlocking the reserves in the shale and most of us are interested in progress along those lines.

As the Utica Point Pleasant Play develops northward it would be great info. to be able to monitor the wells developed and their production.  Sounds like alot of work for you but, there would be many interested in what you post - of that I'm sure.

Thanks again for all efforts - I'll keep my eyes peeled.

Joseph, thanks for your response. I know most folks are interested mainly in Utica, but I am interested in looking at this from various perspectives (a hobby). Supposedly Utica is the source of the legacy wells, so I thought it would be interesting to find patterns in formations, locations and production levels, etc of these wells. As this new oil-rush progresses it will be interesting to compare the patterns of the different wells to see if there is a correlation. Regarding work, I wrote a program that converts ODNR data to Google Earth, so the computer and electrons do all the work now.

I included several snapshots of the Ashtabula area for you.  There is currently only one new well in your area and it is a legacy well, see info file for name and other info.

Attachments:

Ashtabula new well info and updated Utica map (reflects ODNR spreadsheet)

Attachments:

snapshots

Attachments:

SGI, appreciate your findings. I looked at the ODNR DB I use and there is a note on the record indicating that the well is a "proposed Utica", I'll work on the code and see if I can add these "proposed" wells to the Utica maps next time I publish.

Thanks for the information.  Do you have anything one Gulfport Energy in the NE part of Guernsey county?  Have and interest in Londonderry Twp.  Thank You!

You can use the following GoogleEarth maps to select and view wells by operator.  I updated the maps with current data.  Large pins indicate Utica well permits, small pins are either conventional wells or stratigraphic wells.   I also attached an image showing the 13 Gulfport wells.

snapshot

Attachments:

This is really great of you to spend all the time with Google Earth to set these links up for everyone.

I think it only fair to point out the layer information is based on well records.  The Utica information stops in an arc across Wayne County.  ODNR maps show more information, covering the rest of the county and beyond.  I have to presume they all access the same data, so wonder who is speculating. 

Also, everyone should know the layers are VERY approximate.  If you think in terms of each layer as the floor of an ancient sea, filled with rises and deeps, inlets and outwash plains, then put your petro bearing strata on top of that, you get a more accurate idea of what everyone is dealing with.  A given layer might be thick here and thinner a couple miles away.  Until more wells are drilled, everyone is hoping their information is more accurate than the next guys, but no one is too eager to drop a few million to drill on a pure guess. 

Be patient, people.  Time is on the landowners side.  The stuff isn't going anywhere if you wait. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service