Anybody happen to notice that when Rex Energy dipped to it's new low of $1.85, that buyers quickly jumped in to drive it up to $2.11 ??  And now, only a few days later it's at $3.35 !!!  Yes, I am an owner of the stock)))

Views: 11548

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

More chicken chirping from the sidelines, I see )))

Robert

stick to the stock, if you want to dabble in options, rexx is not the place to start. been there done that.

Thanks for the good advice Donald.

There are conservative ways to use options (locking in profits already held in the underlying stock, as well as creating insurance against downward moves when your underlying stock is already in a profitable position), middle of the road ways to utilize options, and high risk ways to play options.  Only fools simply use high risk options in search of incredible gains.  That's probably what Donald was referring to.

Charles R., I hadn't realized options are used those ways. After I learn what I can about them I'd like to pick your brain. I plan on practicing on paper first but I do lack imagination on how to best use options. I've always been a buy and hold for long term gains and now that I'm retired, I may not have long terms. lol. Thanks for explaining that there are smart, conservative ways to use options. Appreciate everyone's thoughts on the matter. Thanks a heap! 

Don't forget that when the ceo gets greedy he can declare bankruptcy and you get pennies on the dollar for having Common Stock. The Execs get a return of 125% for Preferred Stock while you get 3%. Done that in person with Mirant Corporation Stock.

They came out of bankruptcy strong as the New Mirant Corporation after wiping out 30% of most Southern Company Employees 401K stocks due to some wheeling & dealing in a Spin Off move. I remember when the New ceo said you own Old Mirant Stock, we own New Mirant Stock. A story was written called "A Case Study In Corporate Greed".

lost another 3.24% today closed at 2.54 a share

Mike M. , It's only a loss if you sell. I plan on holding until the oil/gas price recovers somewhat or I lose out in a bankruptcy filing. Buying what I can on pullbacks as a way to dollar cost average.

Anyone find it odd that when Rex Energy stock increases more than 13% in one day, not a word is heard from Murph?  Yet, if it pulls back maybe 3%, he posts one of his infamous "ALERTS" )))  Did I hear somebody say "Agenda!" up there in the Chicken-Chirping Peanut Gallery?

just a word on stock options. when you buy options, just keep in mind the brockers on the Chigo Board of Options Exchange wear black patened leather shoes, and ride in limousines. options expire on Saturdys, and of coarse the market is closed on Sat. if you sell on Fri. you will run into a computer glitch. computers down ,cant trade. time is not on you side when you trade Options. sleeping gets to be very diffcult at times, so keep your pills handy.

not saying you can't make money, but when you have a profit, you need to take it. don't get greedy. 

Perhaps people who apparently never understood options when they used them (and therefore were burned) should refrain from acting as though they are offering sage advice to others who are considering using options. How convenient to blame “brokers wearing patent leather shoes” for one’s own failings. The uninformed and/or undereducated investor is prone to refer to his options strategies in the manner above, as in “when you buy options”. Such a “gambler” (as opposed to an investor) ignores the ability to Open a position in options with a sale. Such an opening with a sale places time on the side of the Option Investor as opposed to Donald’s “time is not on your side when you trade options” mentality. Someone operating in that “always buy to open” mode is akin to the yokel who decides he’ll try his hand making money at poker while restricting himself to two cards per hand, while the other players are dealt five cards each. Of course, when such a person rapidly loses his poker stake, I guess he’d also decide to blame the card dealer, rather than accept responsibility for his own ineptitude.

Charles

seems you have mastered the art of option trading. congratulations.

your right about the poker game, the dealer always wins, and once in awhile someone walks away with a nice pot.I would not offer advice to any one on investing/gambling. I would just say research and caution is in their best interest.

i'm not blaming the brokers, just pointing out where the money is moved and controlled.  if you are a broker Charles, you probably won't loose.  Good luck

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service