Look for development along the Cambridge Cross- Strike Structural Discontinuity.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/10/pdf/Map-PG-23_Vers-2.pdf

Views: 10928

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Anyone on GMS able to answer some specific questions regarding the implications of faults along the Monroe and Washington County borders with the Ohio River?  You can respond here or friend me.

Also: Perhaps the Cambridge Cross is  probably the fault that Magnum Hunter drilled into at the Farley Well site in Washington Co.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/portals/10/Energy/Utica/HorizontalWells_...

Is there anyone out there that can overlay these two maps? Way over my head!

Many oil and gas reservoirs are bounded by faults.  Faults can function both as paths allowing hydrocarbons to flow, or as boundaries that trap hydrocarbons depending on the nature of the rocks they pass through and other factors.  Most of the risks that have been suggested recently regarding drilling in or near fault zones have been overstated.  Careful drilling and production practices are designed to limit likely hazardous conditions. 

Thanks Steve for the explanation. I had heard that CHK had peppered a fault line on the border of Carroll and Columbiana. Looks like the line is called Highlandtown Fault(#30)

It is always interesting to drill fault bounded reservoirs, some of them turn out to be very productive, others not so much.  We are on the threshold of getting a great deal of information on the state of faulting in eastern Ohio in the next few years.  I hope we will see a lot of production out of these areas that so little has been known about in the past decades.  When I was a geology student years ago, I always believed something great was deep below the shallow production, I'm glad to see it finally coming to fruition.

Thanks again Steve. I hope everyone realizes that this map is just what Mark and the crew over in the capital city have. I'm sure all the big dogs have a much more extensive map.

I could be mistaken, but I believe the OK earthquakes are being blamed on fracking.  Think about drilling:  along a fault line extending for miles, there are 2 rock faces, held together by the force of the overlying earth, and interlocked by the degree to which the faces are not in one smooth plane.  Perhaps many square miles of rock faces butted against each other.  I think it doubtful that a few 8-12" diameter holes could cause slippage of the faces.  <I am obviously not a geologist, as demonstrated by my comments, nor have I ever portrayed on on TV.>

Mr. Steven,

What about folds?  Are the operators as willing and able to drill folds?

Thank you for your expert opinion,

Todd

Historically, many oil fields in the US have been developed over folded structures.  The seismic surveys being conducted in the area may identify some folds at depth that have been previously unknown, but the geologic setting of SE Ohio after the preCambrian has not been previously known to have had the type of structural deformation that causes the development of many large folded reservoirs.  This belief of course may change with the new data that is now being acquired, but I would not expect to see the types of large folded and faulted reservoirs common in the mid-continental US or the western US to be found in Ohio.  The geologic history of Ohio for a very long time generally has been one of quiet deposition of sediments and no intense tectonic activity.  It results in a flat layer cake style of sedimentary accumulation for the most part. 

Thanks Steven -

However, my farm is located in central Hancock County, WV where there appears to have been some tectonic activity.  The "Pittsburgh-Washington Cross-Strike Structural Discontinuity" from southern Beaver County into northern Hancock County" appears to have created some folds in Hancock County.  What is your take on this?

FYI: there are beautiful gorges with 100' cliffs on both sides of Tomlinson Run Creek within Tomlinson Run State Park where I go hiking.

Thanks again for your assessment,

Todd

You are welcome.  As you move into West Virginia, you definitely get into the region where more intense deformation occurs.  West Virginia was one of the original drill the anticline states where drilling into suspected folds found a lot of oil.  I haven't really studied the Devonian and earlier formations in West Virginia in depth.  I do know that the folks in the WVU geology department in Morgantown and the West Virginia Geological Survey have a lot of good insight and information on your area.  If you get a chance call them, or arrange to meet with them they are very helpful.

Ok many thanks Steven for the referral.  I'll go ahead and contact the folks at the WVGES and maybe even the geology dept at WVU!

Todd

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service