Look for development along the Cambridge Cross- Strike Structural Discontinuity.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/10/pdf/Map-PG-23_Vers-2.pdf

Views: 10928

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Martin, I think of the Utica as cupcake with icing and sprinkles on top. CHK, Gulport etc just started to eat the sprinkles off the top. The sprinkles were just the part that looked the most appetizing. In 2015-16 the boys will get to the icing. Everyone will laugh at me, but the Utica play eventually go much further WEST, NORTH AND SOUTH from where we are now. I have seen core and cuttings from the Utica in Coshocton, Muskingum, Perry, Knox, Holmes, Richland,Stark,Licking, Huron, Ashtabula,Wayne Etc. And of course Morrow County. Where do you think the last Ohio oil rush came from. It was the Point Pleasant that is the source rock for the Cardington Oil Rush. If these guys don't figure how to get the oil out I will be very surprised. The Utica/PP is the source rock for all the legacy formations in Ohio aka as the Clinton, Roserun, Trempeleau etc. No Pressure to force the oil out is just an excuse to buy time. Follow the $$$$$.

I'm on that (your) bus James.

If it's there they will retrieve it.

I believe they already have the technology (fracturing - ethane dilution - pump jacks).

Maybe not the infrastructure yet - we say build it then.

Wasting too much time maneuvering / posturing / legislating new unwanted / unnecessary rules.

Let's get on with it.

James,

Having spent one very cold snowy winter in Morrow Co. I heard some stories about the rigs literally in the streets of Mt. Gilead and afterward ODNR started making rules about how drilling could be done.  The smell of gas was very present in Morrow Co. as well as Marion.

You are the first person I have seen or read on GMS that mentioned the Morrow--Mt. Gilead and Cardington area "boom">  It was the 1960's wasn't it?

Yes, I can't wait to see what new technology brings to that area. 3-10 years out. Too much going on to the east. Enervest drilled a few core wells there in 2010. Oh the Greenies would of had a "blast" back then. The Nitro blasts were unbelievable.

searcherone, horizontal drilling in 2005 in Morrow County. I cant wait to see what nearly 10 years of tech advances brings. Trenton Limestone...... could be commonly mistaken for the PP in 2005. Didnt they call it the Cynthania back then?rcherone, 2005 Horizontal drilling in Morrow County. I cant wait to see what happens there with nearly 10 years of technical advances.

"Didnt they call it the Cynthania back then?"

Some companies called it that, yes.  

"I have seen core and cuttings from the Utica in Coshocton, Muskingum, Perry, Knox, Holmes, Richland,Stark,Licking, Huron, Ashtabula,Wayne Etc."

Making a call on the economic viability of a shale based on core cuttings is like diagnosing Lupus by putting your hand up to your forehead.  Cuttings are a nice trick, but they are not representative of anything other than what you take from a small area with no information on porosity, permeability or pressure.  Devon went a step further and took cores from their test wells and loved them.  Sometimes the problem is too complicated to figure out.  Shale plays always--always--start out huge and eventually narrow down to a fairway.  So while I appreciate your optimism there is a bit of reality to face in many of these outer reaches of the Utica/Point Pleasant.  

Thank you James for posting this fault map and discussion.  I have been trying to locate a recent fault map and this one fits the bill. 

Just to be sure - It sounds like the faults are drawing rigs to drill along them?  It does certainly appear that way along the "Highlandtown Fault" as you had mentioned along the borders of Jefferson, Columbiana and Carroll Counties, Ohio (Rt 39). 

What about folds?  Are the operators as willing and able to drill folds?

Thanks again for posting this excellent discussion.

Todd

Thanks Marcus,
Where do you think the play will expand or retract to in the next few years?

Don't you think EQT will take literally a few steps west into Muskingum County? Oops , they just did last week.

What's going on down on Chandlersville Rd(Anadarko Office)? Are they just sitting around drinking coffee all day?

Why is MFC poking holes in Huron and Ashland as part of the Abarta/MFC JV to develop the Utica?

Speaking of Devons Core aka Harstine Trust(Knox County Morgan Twsp). Jerry and Mark must be trying to blow it up! They got it surrounded by dynamite and pretty white, blue and orange flags. The Devon well there was so bad they are trying to blow it up also. NorthEast O/G fellas are having fun getting the dynamite through 4 feet of compacted limestone.

Coshocton Mill Creek Twsp. Watch the pipe start coming. Lots of pretty flags there also to the east of 83. Thanks NGO for your work on the Apple Core. What did you find under the coal down there in Capstone Land?
Oh, and watch those trains and watch the Brits.

Holmes Coshocton Muskingum 2014. Follow the $$$$
Oh yea, funny to see Bob P and the boys from Texas trying to find BBQ on the menu at the Der Dutchman. Take some Baby Swiss home for holidays.

GO AMISH! :)

R2D2, I can't wait to see what goes on with Anadarko well in Linton Twsp. That's a pretty tough area in the this weather. I was on the proposed pad when they laid it out in late 2011. I haven't heard anything about it lately. To my understanding the ATEX pipe went just north of the pad and they had a heck of time in good weather.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service