White House begins gas ‘fracking’ rule review - STILL want Fed. Govt. Involved????

White House begins gas ‘fracking’ rule review

http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/e2-wire/211093-white-house-begins-...

By Ben Geman - 02/16/12 09:50 AM ET

The White House Office of Management and Budget has begun vetting upcoming Interior Department rules that will toughen regulation of the controversial natural-gas drilling method called hydraulic fracturing.

Interior’s rules are already under fire from GOP lawmakers who allege the plans — which President Obama touted in his State of the Union address — will slow development.

Interior Secretary Ken Salazar has promised that the rules, which will govern “fracking” on public lands, will be proposed very shortly.

Interior sent the proposal that requires disclosure of fracking chemicals to OMB for review on Wednesday, according to OMB’s website.

Fracking involves high-pressure injections of water, chemicals and sand into rock formations, which open up cracks that enable trapped gas to flow. 

The method has created a natural-gas boom in many states, but is bringing concerns about groundwater pollution and other public health threats along with it.

The Interior rules will require disclosure of the components used in fracking fluids, as well as provisions governing management of large volumes of “flowback” water from drilling sites and measures to ensure wellbore integrity.

Obama administration officials say they strongly support natural-gas development but that new safeguards are needed.

At a Capitol Hill hearing Wednesday, Salazar said the rules are necessary to ensure trust in the safety of the widespread fracking, noting that absent the disclosure, public doubts could become the “Achilles heel” of the gas-drilling boom.

But several Republicans attacked the planned rules at Wednesday’s Natural Resources Committee hearing on Interior’s budget plan.

Committee Chairman Doc Hastings (R-Wash.) said the rules will “add significant barriers and delays” to gas development.

Views: 1373

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

get rid of the rest of the dems in november.

Cant happen. The loyal Dem's here in PA and Ohio will line up and vote just like they did last time.

Your Dems are all Lemmings....over the clift.

now. 10,000 for a chevy volt credit?? 2.5 B for all Obamas pals w energy ties.

It's time and we should ALL be working towards those goals, not just sit back and expect others to do it.  Time to get involved is way past due!

schnooz, the independents do the pickin and they ain't pickin fast and furious and solyndra and the arab spring getting 1.3 billion of our money. let alone gas will probably be 5 dollars a gallon in july.

and the independents are flocking to support Ron Paul!  The GOP blocking counting all the votes in caucus states (Maine & Nevada) so Obamney can steal the *cough "win"...  when will people wake up to the corruption on BOTH sides of the invisible isle?

I would love to see Ron Paul run the Fed....that would be worth all the effort. 

That means all development in every state....that't what Obama wants.

And the Companies and their officers will have to come into the White House one at a time and beg, and he can smile like a Cheshire cat. And the workers can starve while it all takes place, then he decides what they get once they do return to work.

He allready did this to the Auto Industry and their workers, except for Ford Thank God!! Healthcare is next. If you can't see this you are Blind.

They TAX coal, still in the ground, whether it is feasible to mine or dig it out, oil/gas is next.  Anyway to steal our prosperity via taxes for 'wealth redistribution'...

I'm blind.  Fracking is happening in more populated areas and there are issues that need to be discussed.  For people to say this is Obama's way of shutting this industry down is as wrong as saying everyone that has a question about the process and the chemicals used are "Antifacting nuts".

This industry is huge and through the years I would think people with half a brain would realize we have to know what chemicals are being used.  We can't trust the oil companies to be honest about it since that would be like trusting a landman when his lips are moving.

At what point should it be looked into, after cancer clusters pop up?  This is not a tablespoon of undisclosed liquids being used. 

I am benefiting from fracking but I do not want to hurt others or my own family to do so.  To understand what and the how is not going to shut this down.  Its a responsible government to look into this, not hide under a rock to please only the few benefiting from this shale drilling.  I do not understand all the negative comments I read daily here.  People come here for info but I'm concerned with the on going tone they would fear posting and be blasted for not thinking the current government is just trying to steal whatever they have or the antifrackers are all being paid by someone to take this all away from us.  Crazy. 

Kathlen - yes, you are blind or are the victim of daily/nightly propaganda (news) - history proves there are too many trusting sheeple out there. 

Do you know what chemicals are being used in drugs - in carpet - in draperies - in siding - in floors - in insulation?  Have you looked at the things proven to cause cancer?  Lack of Vitamin D3, preservatives in our foods & drinks, prescription drugs (like statin) killing people slowly every day, poison in plastic baby bottles and pacifiers, mercury in vaccines, fluoride in water, AND aluminum in deodorants and on and on?

So, IF you don't want to hurt others, the better place to start is how are these KNOWN carcinogens affecting your family?

I am not a victim I make sure I read and watch all sides of an issue to stay informed, not just on this topic. It is due to people wanting to know what is in things that we have found out things in our homes are dangerous and the proper measures are than taken but it takes time. 

The food and drug administration as an example looks into what is in our drugs and I'm gratefull for them doing so.  Do they get it right everytime and know what causes cancer every time, of course not.  It's sad to say but time tells when we are in an unknown since the products are somewhat new on the market.  These fluids are not an unknown, the companies know what's in them.

So since we do not know everything than you are saying we should just allow companies to use millions of gallons of liquids around our food supply and water without ever telling us whats in it?  To so many people in this country that's just not exceptable. 

How do we now know these things you listed cause cancer?  Because someone was directed to look and hopefully tell the truth.

By the way I use glass that's one way I helping my family protect themselves against that carcinogen.  I can list many things I do but that's not the point since this is not about my house. This is about our enviroment. The point is history has taught us not to allow big (or small if it applies) companies not to disclose what they are using. 

If there is nothing to hide than just disclose.  By not disclosing they are making it seem as if something is in the fluids that can hurt many families for years to come.

I can't imagine you would want another carcinogen in your home either especailly if the company knew up front these chemicals have been proved to be of carcinogen nature.

I want to add I am not saying they are of carcinogen nature at this point none of us know.

Hi Mark and Kathleen...this seems to be a good point to interject this about disclosure.

and hi everyone...so good to see gomarcellusshale being active with discussions.

good news but is he speaking to the Lessors or the oil company investors?   the video says that Chief is one of the first companies to start disclosure of the chemicals they use...not that any of us could really figure out if that would deter us from signing...but it is a start of disclosure and that is good.   You and I just spoke about this on the discussion you started about a gasoline tanker?

it's about midway into the video...but was good to hear.

Do you think the spokesman is referring to the lessor about that disclosure?

http://chiefog.com/

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service