Folks, we're not talking about food! In the world of chemistry, the term cracking refers to the process of breaking large molecules into smaller ones. In the petrochemical industry, cracking plants take the feedstock from producing oil and gas wells and converts it to a usable product such as feedstock to produce plastic and jet fuel. The actual end product depends upon both the process and the feedstock. We're going to see major investments in the Marcella Shale region by the major oil companies as a result of cracker plant construction. The actual sighting of these plants will depend upon how generous an individual state cares to be in providing incentives such as reduced property taxes and the availability of pipelines and railroads to transport the end product. The game is on! Here's an article which confirms that Shell has already started the process of constructing a petroleum a.k.a. cracker plant:

http://www.hydrocarbonprocessing.com/Article/2843163/Shell-plans-wo...

Views: 7360

Replies to This Discussion

Thanks for that clarification, HB.  I attended a meeting yesterday with county business leaders and it appears that we may end up with multiple fractionation facilities, located by concentration of gas production or perhaps by which gas production companies they have contracts with.  However we may end up with only one large cracker plant in the area.

A couple of days ago I had a conversation with  an individual  I consider to be very well informed. He stated the cracker plant to be constructed in the Scio area will be just West of the pottery and then along the railroad track to the vicinity of intersection of 151 and 332. 

That's my understanding too, Al, that Chesapeake bought the old Crimm farm. But with the way rumors fly around, I'll wait for the official word before I'll feel like I can say that with any authority.

And we're not talking about an ethane-to-ethylene cracker plant, but a fractionation plant, right?

Dan, you're spot on based upon what I was told. I also understand that it's not just Chesapeake that is involved but also M-3 but I have forgotten the name of the third company in the three-way joint venture.

Yes, DBD, we're not talking about that big ethane-to-ethylene cracker plant. The site you mention does seem to be the most likely site for that at the moment. What we're talking about is a fractionation plant that takes wet gas and separates out the various liquids, leaving the dry gas which can then be put into the transmission pipeline infrastructure while the liquids are sent out by truck or train. So far MarkWest and a Chesapeake partnership have comitted to building fractionation plants in Harrison County.

I met with MarkWest land guy today about pipeline across our property. Paper says Cadiz plant to Hopedale Fractionator. He was offering 15 dollars a foot, I just kinda laughed and said that was a bit cheap. 

I understand there was a North Township Trustee meeting on 13 June to discuss the facility being constructed in the Scio area. Did any of the members of this site attend?  If so, would you please provide an overview of the meeting?

From the original announcement article - http://www.timesleaderonline.com/page/content.detail/id/538939.html

"...The trustees will meet the second Wednesday in June and officials from Utica East Ohio Midstream are scheduled to present a set of blue prints for the facility. The zoning board will hold public hearings at the Scio fire hall.

The township plans to abandon the road from Loy road, the Scio Legion location, to the plant location..."

Hey guys something isnt adding up with the second processing plant.  We all know that the Mark West Processing facility is taking shape quickly in the Cadiz Industrial park.  The Mark West pipeline that we approached for access shows the Mark West second plant (Fractionator) near Hopedale (exact location rumored by not confirmed).  Here is an article for reference on Mark West.

http://www.timesreporter.com/newsnow/x1842813992/Denver-firm-will-b...

With that said I know for a fact that a second plant of some sort is being contructed in the Scio area.  I know this because the second pipeline we have been approached by (Spectra Encergy aka Eastern Texas) runs from Scio area, south than dog legged east through Jefferson County and South to another pipeline.  So it seems that we have 3 different potential plants of some sort in Harrison County alone.   I would suspect that the Scio plant will focus on Cheasepeake development while the Mark West plants will focus on Gulfport/Hess development with potential shared usage depending on developed locations.   These are speculate assumtions of course.

After reading the link in Dark's post...no doubt there will be 3 entirely different facilities in Harrsion County. 

Ground has been broken on the MarkWest second plant near Hopedale. The location is approximately 1 mile west of US 22 on 151 towards Jewett. Turn right on Giacobbi Road at the old dune buggy track before you get to the railroad crossing. The 100 acre site entrance is about 1/4 mile down Giacobbi Road on the left and was part of the Roger and Sheila Schaney-Tipton farm. The site has rail in close proximity both to the west side and south side.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service