I got approximately $370,000 bonus for a lease. I am in Pennsylvania. My tax guy says I will have to pay about $112,000 in taxes. Is this right or am I missing something? Any ways to reduce this tax burdon? I bought ten acres this year with mineral rights for $100,000 and he said I could not take that off. If it were for a rental property, then would that make a difference? Any insight is appreciated, and thanks in advance. Mike

Views: 3403

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I know everyone is going against this but I remember reading if you put the money right back into the same investment those monies are tax deferred until you sell that second purchase.
Now maybe its only on the sale of royalties or royalty income, but its worth a call to just make sure.
I've called the IRS before over a managed woods cut and they were very nice and helpful. I did not get the answer I wanted though. I wanted to write off a chipper since those tree tops just had to go and a chipper was the only way I saw it happening under 10 yrs but they told me I could not write that off the gain.
Congrats on your bonus!

IRS 1031 Like-kind Exchange may be a strategy to avoid taxes for now.  Can be done, Not as simple, nor straightforward as some may think. Here's link:

http://www.irs.gov/uac/Like-Kind-Exchanges-Under-IRC-Code-Section-1031

Good Luck

like-wise exchange I think has to be done with 45 days.

That's the exact IRS law I researched.

The 1031 Exchange is really your only option at this point. It may be too late if you have already accepted the check. Most times I've seen this used was declared before the check was issued. You need a really good CPA to guide you through this and if your current CPA didn't forewarn you, get another one.

Maybe check again, sounds like this could be done as a capital gain or unearned income at 15% in 2012 and also maybe some depreciation of sorts??  assume you owned land more than one year, would check farther before writing the check.......

i aint a tax person but you should look for one.

Tom

mike,

Looks like you are getting plenty of sound advice from some folks that have shared your experience.    Maybe you have a favorite charity, even your church if you are inclined.  Don't know for sure but I think any donations to these would be completely deductible.  Congratulations on your check and good luck.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service