I read the recent article in the Vindy about how the sale of the mineral rights to Chesapeake was a "windfall" for the landowners. This is complete and utter b.s. When those leases were entered into 20-25 years ago the intent of the contract was for the shallow gas rights. Eastern Everflow obtained the benefit of its bargain and still after this sale maintains the rights to the shallow gas rights. This "windfall of $35 million belongs to the landowners. 

Even more appalling is the suggestion that the landowners should freely sign lease amendment agreements with Chesapeake so as to allow for larger pooling agreement/units and not receive a bonus and the 20% royalty rights that most others are getting. 

I have several clients who are not going to stand for this and we are preparing for "war!" 

Views: 4765

Replies are closed for this discussion.

Replies to This Discussion

Sage59

That's exactly how i see it, the landowners bargaining chip is in the negotiating of the amendment with some type of compensation. The leases don't do CHK any good if the unitization is restricted. That's puts the power into the landowner's lap.You don't need an atty for that one. I've dealt with alot of attorney's and most are good, but when i hear some blow hard saying they must pay for their theft I quickly see his motivation in the situation...and yes i think an Attorney can help in the negotation of the amendment without going to court and hurting his client and the oil company all at the same time i.e. (time and money lost), while this guy bills his "clients" and potentially shuts out his clients right to being in a well. There are alot of other drillsites to be drilled while Mr. Justice ties up his clients oil and gas rights in the courtroom which happens to be his place of employment. That's what I see in this situation if this Attorney had or has his way.

Oh and just for your curiosity....my clients mom is still alive who negotiated the lease and will testify to the intent!!!!!!!! How u gonna deal with that one big boy

You mean her version of the negiotiation maybe with  alittle  tutoring from her greater than thou Attorney, who is soley looking out for her interest, give me a break, Ive heard your kind before... nothing new here.

I myself am not fond of attorneys by any means. However there are exceptions. A person whom I had known found freedom from prison after her public defender found that the so called expert that had testified against her in her trial lied about his degree in toxicology. It also led to other trials where this so called professional  lied about his credentials. 

I myself was up against a US Trustee that tried to invalidate my divorce property settlement. Most attorneys saw $$$$$$$ found one (you recall Joel Hyatt  ) $500  retainer  said it was $200 for his time refunded $300  and filed for my attorney fees got that cost me zero$$ in the end.

There are some good ones.

Are you the same guy who got blasted by Paul Gains in the prosecutor's race?  Seriously, how do you lose to Paul Gains?

yes, i lost to Paul Gains. At least I tried and I have no regrets. But politics is not the courtroom.  As for all the lawyer bashing that goes on in this forum all I have to say is that when doctors were treating George Washington for his illness with leeches my brethren were busy writing the Declaration of Independence and the Constitution!

I think it is funny that you guys are often spouting off about landowner rights, bad lawyers, etc., but guess what........u can represent yourself when u get screwed. Nobody is stopping you. Read the Rules of Civil Procedure, Evidence, and file your case in court. Have at it. It is a free country...because a lawyer made it that way!

We're a free country because of our soldiers not attorneys

35 of the 55 founding fathers were lawyers.

George Washington was a solder,  as to credit the attorneys even 200 years later our Supreme Court has to ask what in the H did they mean?

Reply by jonathan M. 1 hour ago

"We're a free country because of our soldiers not attorneys"

Amen

This banter is exactly why I will go on my own. Decision by this type of committee is counterproductive to all involved.  

I'm not lawyer bashing, Marty.  I like lawyers (for the most part).  Hell, I voted for you.  You just might want to pull back a little on the braggadocio, it's a bit unbecoming.  

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service