Geologist that published new ODNR map cutting Athens Co. fired.

Interesting article from The Athens News discussing the recent firing of Larry Wickstrom, the ODNR geologist that re-drew the oil and gas prime areas map. I've seen others discussing that this might have been an underhanded play to get leases on those lands for a lot less than they are worth. This makes me think there may be something to that idea.

http://www.athensnews.com/ohio/article-37060-lsthe-maprs-and-the-st...

Views: 7484

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I could not agree more.

Also, as a side note. Please close your eyes, take a deep...cleansing....breath. exhale big, and go have a frosty beer.

...and I was operating under the impression that Archie Bunker was dead.  I now see that he's alive and well and living in Ohio.  "Marxist Sunni Muslim"...wow.  The last thirty years... who's been in control???  Well lets see, going back to January 20, 1953 (59 years ago) with Dwight D. Eisenhower, there have been a total of six Republican Presidents and they have served a total of 36 of those 59 years.  So, if my math is correct that would put the Republicans in charge for roughly 61% of the time.  If you think that the Democrats are solely to blame for the proliferation of government intrusion into the private lives of U.S. citizens... think again.  There's enough blame to go around for everybody.

Wrong  “ism”…..correct ideology would be

“fascism” .   Same result, we lose.    

Wow!!!!!
MonBel O &G Landowner Watchman, what rock did you just crawl out from...are you serious...I'm a Republican and take offence to your nonsense. This site is not a political dog and pony show for you to "VENT"

I really wish we could have the moderator remove all "non-shale" or off-topic talk and give the posters warnings. It is aggravating trying to get through the various off topic stuff to find items that are relevant to what this forum is supposed to be about. That posting had nothing whatever to do with the topic on this thread.

Is this  original Utica-Point Pleasant map before the redraw? [maximize and run HD for clarity]....if so, Ath. Co. sure looks in the play.  Guess my next question would be "who profits"?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SRZdUzEw1Us&feature=related

Who profits are the companies buying the leases and agreeing to %. They are paying far less money from those leases than prior to the new map.  And maybe who else would benefit is anyone who helped to facilitate this. And yes, that looks to be the old map.

I'm going to be very interested to see which company Larry ends up with. If it's one that has benefitted directly from this change in the map I think that will tell it all.

Great point Jack Straw....There's a lot under the surface that hasn't exposed itself yet...this thing is all political!

Technically speaking Jack... unless you are the Governor, everybody has a supervisor or superior that they report to.  In the world of big government you don't necessarily have to be technically competent to supervise someone that possesses greater technical knowledge than you yourself possess.  That said, it still doesn't give you the right to put out for public consumption something that the existing protocols require your supervisors approval for.  Maybe Larry thought he was too important to follow protocols... who knows.  I can assure you that Aubrey McClendon, who is a landman by background and training, would never allow his head geologist to put something into the Chesapeake Annual Report that Aubrey, who has no geologic training, had not thoroughly vetted.  Rules are rules, if you don't like them... find another job.  Maybe that was what Larry was told.

If the Head of the State Geological Survey were fired for Authoring and Releasing a map that neglected to include important available data, that would reflect poorly upon his technical expertise.

If the Head of the State Geological Survey were fired for Authoring and Releasing a map that honored available data; but contained implications that did not please political people further up the food chain, that would reflect poorly upon his political acumen.

I checked the Ohio State Geological Survey website: http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Default.aspx?alias=www.dnr.state.oh.us/g...

I could not find any reference where maps authored or approved by the State Geologist needed to be reviewed by a “higher authority”  before being allowed to be released.

There is no dispute that Larry Wickstrom’s services were no longer required.

But there does seem to be question as to the rationale for his dismissal – was it for technical reasons? – was it for political reasons? – or, was it for a combination of technical and political reasons?

RE: “I can assure you that Aubrey McClendon, who is a landman by background and training, would never allow his head geologist to put something into the Chesapeake Annual Report that Aubrey, who has no geologic training, had not thoroughly vetted.”

Aubrey McClendon is the CEO of an Oil & Gas Company and would vet the contents of their Annual Report.

I would not expect the Governor of Ohio to vet any and all maps released by the Ohio Geological Survey (that would normally be the responsibility of the State Geologist, the highest authority in that discipline).

OBTW, although Aubrey McClendon started out his O & G career as a landman (he had no formal training in land work, his BA was in History), he subsequently has had a significant amount of geologic training.

All IMHO,

JS

I never said that Aubrey was PLM (Petroleum Land Management) degreed... I said his "background and training".  He attended Duke as I recall and to the best of my knowledge they have never had a PLM program.  Yes, by practical application, Aubrey does possess a significant understanding of geology.  There aren't really any aspects of the E&P business that Aubrey doesn't have a deep understanding of. 

I never said that the Governor was the "supervisor" that would have overseen or approved Larry's work... what I said was that short of being the Governor, everybody at the State government level has a superior that they report to.  I would also suspect that you didn't find anything on the Ohio State Geological Survey website that said the State Geologist DIDN'T need to obtain anybody's approval in order to release a map for public consumption.  Not everything is clearly spelled out in terms of protocols...

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service