I have a question that seems to get many different answers depending on who you ask.

What is it that actually holds a lease by production? Is it a lease with both a primary and secondary term also called a habendum clause that contains both a primary and secondary term for as long as oil and gas is being produced? Or is it the actual production that occurs during the primary term of the lease and it doesn't matter after that as long as they produce it is held?

Views: 3512

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Barry D,

Happy New Year.

Yes, I can see how that is a problem. I'm sure you already no this but the reason that a large portion of old leases just covered the oil or when both oil and gas where in the old leases terms the lease favored the oil recovery. A point in time related situation.

Back in the day oil was king and gas was considered an unwanted byproduct of recovering the oil. 

My how times have changed.    

Yes, I am aware.

And, yes how the times have changed.

held by production can mean a lot of things and I has tobe written in the lease what describes HBP.  If a standard lease was signed theycan say HBP means if they would survey, clear land or doze a road.  I have a lease and it specifies that they must drop a bit to the ground  for HBP.  I would have an attorney look at your lease 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service