Old thread much too long to follow. 

GRANDDADD LADD

Views: 7045

Replies to This Discussion

Lu, Holdon, (my two year ol grandson), and I rode to the end of our driveway to supervise the laying of new pavement this morning. But we forgot our white hats and so no one paid any attention to us.

But they seemed to be making headway down the hill. However one of the trucks got tangled up in a tree limb bringing much debris down. His dump box was just a little too high.  A couple minutes of picking up small limbs off the pavement fixed the problem.  Rain from Florence is expected to make things a bit delayed for finishing the first half of the intended project.

Granddad Ladd. 

When he is older, I will explain how he had just witnessed this day an historical event.

The most durable paving of Broughton Hollow road!

All other attempts at surfacing a better road surface never lasted more then a few weeks at most.  

Usually cracking or the beginnings of potholes appear within a month after resurfacing.

Granddad Ladd

OH MY, OLD TIMER!

I am so sorry. 

Lu Ann and I have a good friend who lives on this section of the road. (At least part of the time)  Diane Cosby.  Many years ago Jim Gigee and I spent several days working on that sluice that cross just below the intersection. That little creek carries a great deal of water around the impoundment and beyond and down along the Sperry /Young. There is so much more growth there now that restricts water flow.  Bill Cosby pastured his cattle in that area as I recall. 

Jimmy and I only had a old worn out road grader and a couple of shovels and an almost useless chainsaw and a couple axes or brush hooks to clear the ditches with.  A little Ford tractor with a loader on the front end  to load cinders on the Ford four wheel drive truck.

Jim, George Painter, myself, sometimes Fred Brugger and once in awhile another man would show up. Depending on the particular job, like putting up snow fence, (usually a miserable cold job), only Jim and me would show up.  Bucky Dunbar and Frank Warmus appeared occasionally. These were the only help we had most of the time.

Fred had a couple miswhimics with the grader, He got stuck in the ditch on Ladd road trying to clear the ice.  One time the grader missed a gear change  going up Baker hill. Grader started freewhilling backward down Baker hill......No Brakes!  Driver  and grader jumped the ditch, backed up on the bank and nearly tipped over. Driver needed a change of underwear afterward!

Granddad Ladd

Old Timer. Your posting sparked me to make a trip to Sperry/Young road just before dark. It was worse then I visualized it was going to be.  We drove up from Westfield past the A-pad.  Very bad there too but we continued on. Started down Sperry/Young road. About decided you were spoofing! Got down near Cosby place.....MY GOD MAN, I thought we had somehow gotten sidetracked into the creek bed.  Was worried that we  might drop a wheel into a deep washout and be hung up. Have never seen Westfield "TOWNSHIP" roads this bad!

Granddad Ladd

Well we all know decisions like this move pretty slowly Old Timer. This year was extraordinarily wet!  I doubt that anyone could foresee just how or when or where these rain storms would hit.

We have to deal with what ever conditions we are faced with and prepare as best as we can with what information we have!

George Painter tried to convince the "Powers that be",  that Howland hill road should be paved 50 years ago. Howland Hill is still dirt and in some places almost as rutty as it ever was. 

George and his wife hauled kids to school in a four wheel drive jeep with wheels chained back about the 1940's and 50's.  Norman Painter can tell you if you care to ask him.

Granddad Ladd

Would you say that "Powers that be" usually sit back once they get the power to make  important decisions  and just collect their checks?   Certainly seems that way to me.  "Rattling cages" and Ruffling Feathers  will often result in action!

HRI suggested a day or two before the rain hit us that a shortage of trucks would probably delay the paving of Broughton Hollow road.  Today they are fixing the shoulders and driveway entrances.  Lu and I are usually notified if workers will be on the pipeline or making minor repairs at ROW entrances.

Granddad Ladd

I wonder if any work to put excessive water drainage back into ditches yesterday has been done?  Looks like a full day's work just to deepen and clear sluices,  let alone to repair the road surfaces.  Going to take backhoe work plus large grader to make Sperry/Young passable.

Loosening much dirt might not be a good idea as there is a very good chance of heavy rain storms, possible even tornados and thunderstorms predicted for tonight, (Friday night).

Major work needed down Sperry/Young road.

Clifford Tubb's at Potter Brook place got flooded a couple days ago.  Trying to dry out yesterday. Another storm like what Florence dump on him is liable to transplant his Barber Chairs a few hundred yards down stream!

Granddad Ladd

I presume they will start laying out a Pipeline ROW from P-pad across to Knox road then.

Granddad Ladd

Maybe they will go bankrupt just trying to keep the roads passable. 

Just for fun my wife and I went over a couple of the TWP roads east of us. Cooper road was one.  Not so bad as I expected. Then the length of Knox road. But that is not Westfield TWP responsibility!  A different story!  Hit and miss most of the way. One place we almost had to do a "Grand Canyon Jump"!  Stopped to talk with a lady on a Side by side. She said she reported the problem to her supervisors.  They told her they had at least six other roads to repair before getting to hers!

Any work done on roads simply has no time to settle and harden before another gully washer hits them again week after week!

Granddad Ladd

94?

Hey Old Timer, It seems as if there are only 5 or 6 folks who have any interest in the Westfield Township gas well project.

I just counted  about 94 postings from other folks on this particular thread.  Of those 94 postings, Three were from Deb. 

A couple postings were from two other people.  The rest of those 94 postings were from you!  My own postings were not counted at all.

Are you and I the only two who give a damn what goes on with our properties and the roads we drive on and pay taxes to maintain in Westfield township?? 

I would think that other land owners in the township would be concerned what is taking place and would want to have some INPUT   to the discussion.    

Your thoughts please!

Granddad Ladd

Allison Baker once told me, "I don't understand what I know about it!"

He was referring to some  mechanical thing he was working on some 50 years ago. His words brought a huge laugh, just the way he said it.  His statement fits extremely accurately today concerning the entire gas industry.  Our "Blatherings"  with each other hopefully helps clear up the picture somewhat.

More INPUT is needed by all of us to really focus  clearly the small part we can see from our individual  digs.

Granddad Ladd

18 wheeler Trucks,  tanker trucks and I believe triaxles dumper trucks are still moving  to the P-Pad and out again.  Some trucks are bring chopped corn to the farm......but not all of them.  Curious about tankers!

Granddad Ladd

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service