That, I believe is the question at this point in time. Much controversy has resulted from the utilization of hydraulic fracturing. Whether you are for drilling or against it, I ask that you please take a moment to read my position.

Hydraulic fracturing as a practice and shale harvesting in general have been under fire in the recent years, and for good reason. Hydraulic fracturing is still a relatively new method of mineral and gas extraction, and not coincidentally, further study, examination, and analysis of its workings should and must be considered before it can be implemented as a recognized and trusted method of extraction. I do not claim to be any sort of authority on the geological or scientific subtleties of "fracking," but I will ask those authorities to exercise their undoubtedly reputable logic and common sense when dealing with something as critical as drilling. I speak for the welfare of all those involved when I say that I am for drilling, but I am also for nature. I recognize that drilling is utterly essential to satiate our fueling needs, however I know that if more time is invested into the observation and experimentation of hydraulic fracturing, we can have our fuel and minimize our environmental impact simultaneously. Drilling is, as it has always been, a lucrative business; and obviously our economy will benefit significantly from its revenues which I think is wonderful. I also understand this argument from an environmental perspective which, at least in my opinion, is just as important. I have learned that nature is to be respected, and should always be considered because it is necessary for our existence and survival. I would kindly and respectively ask anyone who would attempt to argue that to provide me with one substantial proof that says otherwise. That being said, I ask you readers, what is your position, and why do you stand for that particular position? I look forward to reading your thoughts, comments, and opinions concerning what I have said and what you believe. Thank you for your time and understanding. Any constructive criticism is thoroughly welcomed.

Views: 3307

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Remember the days of 35mm film that the majority of the people were using to take photos with?

No one stopped taking photos when it was reported that Kodak and many other film processing companies were dumping the film processing gunk right directly in our rivers and streams.  It was the people who stood up against the giant film industry who became the 'watchdog' and the 'crier' though some of us didn't even know that the film makers were doing such.   If it wasn't for people who stand for more environment concern most of us wouldn't even have state parks or even city parks to take our families to....so bravo for those that cry out 'to be careful', "consider your ways"....yet we all kept on using our cameras and developing the film.  Now you see that with technology advances that there isn't that pollution like it was then as we know have camera cards and digital processing.  Though pollution hasn't stopped it just has become another way til someone invents a way to resolve that one...like the oil spill that the oil companies said they knew what to do with drilling in deep waters (ha...they didn't and they still drill off the coast of South America (Brazil) and even in much deeper waters with the Obama admin financing some of the drilling ...over 2billion dollars of taxpayer money given to Petrabra   ...the same Obama admin that doesn't want to approve the pipeline yet and doesn't want offshore drilling). (but they want the U.S. to buy Brazilian oil...hmmm.....same company bought up some of the equipment from those oil companies banned on the Gulf of Mexico.   Same administration wants to sue the states along the border so they can keep allowing illigal immigrants to cross over while the border states are crying out for help....does any one see that America is being used for some to make some deals with our U. S. taxpayer money?   Where is the loyalty?

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/senator-gulf-coast-residents-galled...

So the fracking will continue but some need to 'cry' out so that others will respond with continueing to do better.  Though in some areas there may be a delay but eventually they will continue the drilling...all the people crying out just want to make sure that the oil companies are keeping mindful of our environment and the impact of what they are doing to our municipalities and even to our earth.

So there is room for all of us to take heed....and do our best to point to the best direction in our knowledge and hope that more is invented to still accomplish the task yet with more consideration for the envrironment.

Perhaps it is because not all terrain and earth formation is the same across the planet.   In those areas were fracking has been accepted they may not have been using the same injection procedures and chemicals.   I only say this cause I took the time to read the state environmental statement report on the recent Oklahoma earthquakes...have you read that yet

the link is in the paragraph on this page...a pdf file.

http://www.treehugger.com/energy-disasters/fracking-may-have-alread...

Of all the sins that they try to pin on the "door" of Fracing - the claim that it causes earthquakes is perhaps the most laughable.

JS

Indeed. We all know the increased seismic activity is due to obesity and all the extra dollar bills the Feds have put into circulation under the current administration.

not to dispute you or be rude.

Just a reminder that  if

someone from that area in Oklahoma is on this gomarcellusshale site....I don't think they are laughing.   It was their home or business that was harmed by the earthquakes...not a laughing matter.   Explosion of bombs underground isn't just pinching the sandgrain a bit either....but no one has stopped the government(s) from doing their testings either.

Could you provide a link to where there is scientific evidence to support the theory that fracing instigated the earthquakes in Oklahoma?

JS

Common sense would tell anyone who has ever held shale in his hands that it is extremely brittle.  To suggest that it is somehow holding the planet together is patently absurd.  Thus, fracing it cannot possibly be causing shifts in tectonic plates.  It's just plain silly.

I have noted that most eartquakes occur in areas where there is no fracing.

In fact, it is very rare for earthquakes to occur in areas where fracing is common.

Fracing has been common in Western Pennsylvania for the past 50 years.

I do not recall reading of earthquakes hiting Slippery Rock.

There is only one logial conclusion: Fracing prevents earthquakes.

Remember, you heard it here first!

JS

Hi Jack, I guess you entered this reply before seeing my post in reply to you...  I am not in the NG drilling business , just a Landowner with a 'poorly understood and written ' gas lease...    I just happen to also enjoy our land just as you all do...so it is best to not mock what some in their experience are trying to investigate...cause this may be a cause of the problems that Oklahoma is having...Like I said before...not all terrain and underground earth foundations are the same everywhere.   fracking with injections may not be a problem in some terrains...but evidentally a problem has come about at the same time of earthquakes in Okla.

Jack, in response to your statement of logical conclusion of fracking preventing earthquakes"

ha...that reminds me of the story that was at a AAA meeting (heard it didn't witness it)

"a man was speaking his testimony about how alcohol could destroy a person...so while speaking he took a glass of an alcoholic beverage and placed a worm in it and the worm dis-intergrated...and the man said see, see what drinking alcohol can do to a man"

well one of the attendees stood up and said loudly "hey, looks like drinking alcohol can rid you of worms!"

so not all people concurr on everything.

Thank you Jack, 

We were taught in 1970's Western PA high school science class that California pumped water into some of their faults with the idea that the fluid would lubricate the fault and hopefully would let it move with less severe shock waves.  They also discharged explosives under ground along some faults with the idea that they could cause it to move a little at a time hopefully releasing enough energy to prevent the "Big One". 

I don't know if this is current geological thought today, but it seems to me Fracking is more likely to prevent damaging quakes and may well delay or prevent the next East Coast "Big One" than to be the cause of it.

One mans quake is another mans shake.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service