Look for development along the Cambridge Cross- Strike Structural Discontinuity.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/10/pdf/Map-PG-23_Vers-2.pdf

Views: 10928

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

James,

Now I’m just a landowner in Butler County, PA but in the early 80’s myself and two partners took advantage of the tight sands tax breaks and drilled about 12 wells to the Clinton-Medina formation in the vicinity of Alliance, Ohio.  We had a geologist (Mike Yarussi - who I just learned passed away in 2010) and Tim Lanzer did the drilling.  We produced those wells for a few years and then sold the lot of them to Tim Lanzer.  Perhaps you knew Mike or Tim?

Regards,

Phil

James,

Your post, which I was responding to, has disappeared?

Phil

James (along with any other reader who may shed light on things) :

Looking at the Precambrian isobars shown on the map and reading them as the top of the contour of that Strata; I'm interpreting that the top of it lies about 6500' below the surface (in the near geography of our land within Ashtabula County).

I've also read elsewhere on these pages that the top of the Utica Point Pleasant Interval (once again in the near geography of our land in Ashtabula County) lies about 5,000' to 5,500' below the surface and is supposed to be about 300' to 350' thick.

I've also seen a 'Stratigraphic Column' type of diagram  that shows (from highest to lowest) the Upper Ordovician containing the Queenston Interval and the Cincinnati Group Interval.  The diagram then shows the Middle Ordovician Strata (below the Upper Ordovician) which contains the Utica / Point Pleasant (at it's shallowest depth) with the Trenton Interval just below it and the Black River Interval below the Trenton with the Gull River Interval shown below the Black River.  Lower, the diagram shows the Lower Ordovician Strata which contains the Wells Creek Interval at it's top and the Beekmantown Interval below it. The diagram then shows the Upper Cambrian Strata containing the Rose Run Interval with the Copper Ridge Interval just below it.

That would seem to put the Precambrian Strata (the subject of this discussion) below the Rose Run and Copper Ridge Intervals (once again shown in the Upper Cambrian Strata).  The Stratigraphic Column Diagram that I'm getting all of this information from and this latest Precambrian Map seems to imply to me that all of the Intervals discussed above (Copper Ridge as lowest and Utica Point Pleasant highest) if present, reside within a Strata Column Thickness of 1000'. 

Seems to me that's a good thing and to coin a phrase another used on these pages is representative of a 'Stacked Play'.  Also, I've read / heard good reports about the Queenston Interval which is the highest Interval shown on the Stratigraphic Diagram I'm trying to interpret and discussing here (once again part of the Upper Ordovician Strata shown above the Cincinnati Group Interval which is shown above the Utica Point Pleasant).

What do you folks think ?  Would like to read how others would interpret all of this insofar as it relates to Shale Gas and Shale Oil development.

Anybody care to advise / comment ? 

Also and BTW; not seeing any Precambrian Strata Ashtabula County 'Faults' indicated (other than those shown near the City of Ashtabula).

Good for us as far as 'earthquakes' are concerned I think.

James,

Is the Precambrian Strata basically impervious (aside from faults / fissures that might exist) ?

Joseph let me see if I can get you some answers. I still have a few connections.
Philip, the name doesn't ring a bell.
Thank you James.

Standing by.

J-O
Joseph, the lack faulting on this map in Ashtabula is merely just lack of info that the state has in that area. I'm sure Ashtabula has many "cracks" under ground. Most of the info that the state used for this map came from the BOCOR seismic campaign quite a few years ago. The government funded it so that is what the state has. A few others have given the state info , but right now everything is pretty tight lipped. As far as Ashtabula I am bullish on the future Utica development there and many many other counties that aren't seeing a lot of action right know. The unusually Utica thickness you spoke of doesn't really surprise me. Batelle did some core drilling about 10 years ago in east central ohio and logged the Utica and PP at something like 715' of thickness. The oil is there and sooner than later someone will crack the code and all hell will break loose. On that note, I was told that the General Electric/Lufkin merger was done for the sole reason of extracting Utica oil. Look for GE to make a another big investment soon. I will make some calls here soon and try to get some info for you. Best of Luck to you Joseph Ohio and to Ashtabulas Utica development. Be Patient.
Thank you once again James.

J-O
Sorry, BOCOR should have been COCORP. Looks like its a top seller.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/7155/default.aspx
Those maps don't appear to show any of Ohio's Northeast Counties.

No maps indicated for Counties north of Harrison.
Did some reading and found that the ODNR states geologists term the Precambrian as 'the basement'.

References tell me that it is ancient (570 million to 2.5 billion years old).

References also state that the Precambrian is basically impervious and include certain granites.

Interpreting from all of that - that the hydrocarbons occur above the Precambrian.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service