Our nation should be in an aggressive move to using natural gas for auto/truck fuel, power generation and the like.  Oil and gasoline refining cost too much and wind/solar really aren't cutting it on a large scale.  Some  coal fired electric power plants appear to want to convert to NG.  I'm sure the private sector will convert when the price and timing is right.  Wouldn't cheper energy help most of our economy?  Isn't $3 per McF so cheap that drilling will soon slow down?

http://seekingalpha.com/article/316145-cheap-natural-gas-is-creatin...

Views: 1044

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

RE: "Why aren't Big Fleets like UPS, FedEx and the Post Office using NG  vehicle"
In select markets  UPS, FedEx and the Post Office using compressed NG  vehicles. Change is slow in a slow economy; especially when our government is fighting us.

No infrastruture to refuel long distance trucks on the interstates.

Instead of our Government pushing "pie-in-the-sky" projects, I would rather see our Government (my tax dollars) pushing cheap, pleantiful domestic natural gas as an alternative to expensive, scarse imported oil.

JS

Actually Waste Management is converting all their garbage trucks to natural gas which is a great application for natural gas,  But I agree with you any big trucks that goes around in circles all day is a great application of natural gas.

http://www.cngnow.com/news/post.aspx?id=531

The company, which currently operates the largest NGV fleet of recycling and waste collection trucks in North America, celebrated the inauguration of its first public-access compressed natural gas fueling facility in the city last week. The refuse service operator also announced plans to convert its regional fleet to this fuel.

The opening ceremony was attended by state Sen. Tim Solobay, Sen. John Pippy and Chartiers Township Supervisor Harlan Shober. The new Clean N’ Green Fuel public fueling station, which will be operated by PetroCard, will offer CNG to commercial fleets as well as individuals with natural gas powered vehicles.

According to Patch website, Waste Management of Western Pennsylvania has recently purchased 25 methane-driven collection trucks, while it expects to put on the road 40 NGVs by 2012. This amount of vehicles would represent half its Washington-based fleet and would serve Washington, Greene and Allegheny counties.

The Department of Environmental Protection awarded Waste Management $700,000 in Alternative Fuels Incentive Grants for the project, which supports the development of the state’s natural gas infrastructure and achieves emissions reductions. “Natural gas powered vehicles run cleaner and quieter, and improve air quality. Our new CNG trucks will reduce emissions equivalent to taking 3,500 gasoline-powered vehicles off the road,” said Dave Balbierz, area vice president for Waste Management of Western Pennsylvania.

This article was first published by NGV Journal.

Good news. Let's hope this trend catches on !!! I am a Waste Management customer and salute this effort.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service