Has anyone heard anything about the rate of production declining abnormally fast?  It was brought to my attention that there is some concern that production might fall off in Utica wells faster than in other shales.  Does anyone know if this is the case?

Views: 16832

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Like I keep sayin':

Good Luck to us all.

We need it.

As of 9/24/2012, Ohio has reported 382 Horizontal Permits and 144 Wells Drilled but all are not completed at the time of this report. This demonstrates the infancy of finding the proper completion variables for maximum production.

As of 3/9/2012, Pennsylvania has reported 9,620 Horizontal Well Permits and 1,456 Completion Reports have been submitted.

These values are a clear demonstration of time finding the right combination of drilling and completion combinations necessary to define the true potential of the Utica Shale Organic Resource Rock Play.

I believe he was talking about 50 to 100 years to drill and drain all the wells, not that each well would last 100 years.

That makes sense. 

Not true, I just watched a replay of the show and he said "there are wells producing oil today that were drilled 100 years ago, these wells we are drilling today will be around for 50 - 100 years." He was talking about individual wells.

He said these wells will produce for 50 to 100 years... yes, but when they are negotiating leases, landmen will tell you this is a risky business and production is so unpredictable! Give me a break....even in productive areas, they still try to pull the same crap about "they might even drill a dry hole and have to plug it and get nothing". Bull.. I have asked for people to tell me which holes in a productive area are "dry", and no one ever gives a specific well. Because there arent any...

Rick, There have been two or three wells drlled into the utica that are called lost holes. I was told not long ago that a lost hole is a bad well and they end up plugging these wells. You can find this on the ODNR well permit list. Which there was some one that could explain this better than myself.

Typically a 'lost hole,' encounters a prolem that does not permit drilling to continue to the original planned maximum depth of the borehole.  Occasionally drilling equipment is lost in the bore, or the walls of the bore collapse.  In most cases, depending on the depth where the problem is encountered, the borehole may be completely abandoned, or an attempt may be made to start a distance further uphole and drill what is referred to as a "sidetrack," which can bypass the problem area and make a productive well at the same surface location.  The sidetrack bypasses the problem area and continues on to the original planned depth for the well.

A lost hole is not the same as a "dry hole" see what Steven says. What I am saying is that when a landshark tells you that they may drill a dry hole, they are implying that there may not be gas under your property, even though you are in a proven area. They dont bring up broken equipment or technical difficulties. I still stand by my point/question... show me one instance of drilling a dry hole in a proven area.. there are none... not one. If a well is drillied and is producing profitable quantities of oil or gas, then dont tell someone that a half mile away they may drill a "dry hole". These landsharks will use any tactic to get you to sign low. Somehow unemployed used car salesman comes into my head when I hear their babble.

Oh, by the way, seismic people use the same type of misinformation. They say they are "looking for gas and oil" to get you to sign a permit. From what I understand, its not possible to "see" gas and oil. They are looking for faults and such and distances, depths, laminations, and thicknesses, etc. Why does everyone have to be so dishonest?

Actually, there is a technique called bright spot analysis that indicates the presence of gas.  State of the art seismic processing provides a lot more information now than just the structural components of the geology.  Geophysical software and seismic data acquisition have advanced a long way in the last two decades.  Interpretation errors are not impossible, but overall reliability is much better now.

Guy from frontrunner was upfront about faults, depths etc.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service