YOUR HELP IS NEEDED TODAY TO FIGHT WEST VIRGINIA HOUSE BILL 3060 (POTENTIAL FORCED POOLING THREAT)!

It appears that House Bill 3060 has made it over to the Senate side this morning, April 10, 2013 and is now in the hands of the Senate Judiciary Committee. This is a potentially dangerous bill that could a) provide the groundwork for a Forced Pooling Bill next year and b) provide a template for the insertion of forced pooling wording this year. The Judiciary committee is meeting this week in advance of the end of the Legislative Session on Saturday night, April 13, 2013, to decide the bill's future and yours. Now is the time to stand up for your property rights and contact these 17 Senators whose actions here could impact your future. Please oppose Bill 3060 and oppose FORCED POOLING!

Senate Judiciary Committee

Name                                                   Phone                   Email

Senator Corey Palumbo – Chair           (304) 357-7880        corey.palumbo@wvsenate.gov

D - Kanawha

Senator Greg Tucker - Vice-Chair        (304) 357-7906         greg.tucker@wvsenate.gov

D - Nicholas

Senator Robert Beach                        (304) 357-7919         bob.beach@wvsenate.gov

D - Monongalia

Senator  Sam Cann                            (304) 357-7904        sam.cann@wvsenate.gov

D - Harrison

Senator Donald Cookman                    (304) 357-7980        donald.cookman@wvsenate.gov

D - Hampshire

Senator Rocky Fitzsimmons                (304) 357-7918       rocky@fitzsimmonsfirm.com

D - Ohio

Senator Daniel Hall, D.                        (304) 357-7807       daniel.hall@wvsenate.gov

D - Wyoming

Senator Evan Jenkins                          (304) 357-7956      evan.jenkins@wvsenate.gov

D - Cabell

Senator Art Kirkendoll                          (304) 357-7857     art.kirkendoll@wvsenate.gov

D - Logan

Senator Ronald Miller                            (304) 357-7959    ronald.miller@wvsenate.gov

D - Greenbrier

Senator Herb Snyder                             (304) 357-7957    herb.snyder@wvsenate.gov

D - Jefferson

Senator John Unger                               (304) 357-7933     john.unger@wvsenate.gov

D - Berkeley

Senator Bob Williams                            (304) 357-7995     bob.williams@wvsenate.gov

D - Taylor

Senator Mitch Carmichael                      (304) 357-7855    Mitch.Carmichael@wvsenate.gov

R - Jackson

Senator Bill Cole                                    (304) 357-7843    bill.cole@wvsenate.gov

R - Mercer

Senator David Nohe                                (304) 357-7970   dcnohe@suddenlink.net

R - Wood

Senator Chris Walters                             (304) 357-7866    chris.walters@wvsenate.gov

R - Putnam

Views: 719

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

In my opinion forced pooling should be in place in all areas where drilling takes place.

For why should a neighbor who does not want to lease infringe upon my right to have my minerals developed to their maximum potential?

Here is a link to a study done in PA on the benefits of forced pooling. I can attest to the fact that the sixth well WAS drilled and fraced AFTER the unit was reconfigured and the lease holdout was drilled around, which might of suited them just fine, but I am sure the neighbors that were kicked out of the unit along with them dont invite them out to dinner very often....

http://files.dep.state.pa.us/PublicParticipation/MarcellusShaleAdvi...

pennsylvaians would benefit from forced pooling in another way also.

currently, companies like swepi (shell) in tioga county, chesapeake in bradford county and cabot in susquehanna county have things pretty well sown up in their operating areas. there is no competition for acreage within these areas, since there is no way for another company to lease acreage and participate in units. under forced pooling, other companies would be able to force the operator to allow them to participate as working interests.

this lack of forced pooling in pa has created a monopoly for operators within their areas of operation which has eliminated options for landowners.

we can see the effects in core areas of pa in that operators are offering low bonus and royalty payments as a "take it or leave it" proposition. second generation leases within areas of imminent production are far less than what the landowners originally signed for in many cases.

many mineral owners are being forced to make the decision to hold out and miss royalty payments, or take an inferior deal to ensure their participation.

wj

Too many variables to offer up forced pooling as a one size fits all solution.  

With forced pooling, sometimes the bug wins and sometimes the windshield wins.

Had i known then what i know now, i would have asked for a straight 8 year term with higher bonus monies.

coulda woulda shoulda

i certainly wouldnt try to paint forced pooling as a "one size fits all solution", just as i believe it to be disingenuous to paint it as all bad. as with most things in life, there are positives and negatives.

the harsh reality though, is that without some mechanism to avoid these "monopolies" going forward, landowners with modest acreage are going to be hard pressed to negotiate good deals for their minerals.

the latest proposal in the pa senate, "fair pooling", which only involved company to company forced pooling would have served the purpose. that was proposed over a year ago, but had little support.

i am sure that you are aware sally, that in many cases, companies are perfectly willing to avoid acreage and design units around holdouts, leaving them as stranded acreage.

wj

NG is looking up.  

Your last statement borders on sensational.  Stop trying to stir folks' emotions.  :)

Dennis..."it's called a joke, look into it"  Tommy Boy

We're all entitled to our opinions on forced pooling. The Forced Pooling that Clinton and Jim talk about is not the same forced pooling that the gas industry is attempting to inflict upon the State of West Virginia. Pennsylvania is far ahead of WV when it comes to infrastructure and landowner groups to be susceptible to many of the downsides of forced pooling. I certainly see the advantages of forced pooling in some of the examples provided, but you're also right when you talk about "one size does not fits all." West Virginia Forced Pooling is not the forced pooling of "holdouts," although the gas companies would like you to believe that. They talk about 1% of the property owners holding up the other 99% from production and instances where they are unable to find the heirs or someone is being unreasonable about royalties. Well, I understand that is the case some times, but if that's the  main problem, why do the gas companies always ask for legislation that only requires them to secure 50% - 75% of the leases they need to pool. The reality is that they have been offered Forced Pooling legislation at about 90% of leased property required but have summarily rejected those. Reality does not match the rhetoric. What they really want is a legislated mandate to prevent property owners from negotiating for the best possible lease terms, no matter how much aceage or percentage of the pool you own. They want to lock you in at 12.5% less production costs and little or no bonus. Their second choice would be to put the control of your property rights in the hands of an appointed body that would have the authority to do that for them and in the case of House Bill 3060, that would be the Oil and Gas Conservation Commission. For me, I don't want to place my future in the hands four Gas Industry people and one environmentalist, appointed by the Governor but that is what would happen under forced pooling in West Virginia, as currently proposed. To answer Dennis, I would have to say that the people impacted right away by HB 3060 would have been a portion of the group that has "old leases" from 50-100 years ago that would have experienced a form of ad hoc forced pooling by being included in the well spacing oversight by the OGCC.

hey dennis!

i think i know which dennis you are. you certainly sound ok today!

sally is an old friend, she was applying her dry rapier wit, like a lash to my flailed back. sorta sadistic she is.

anyway, although we are certainly off topic in the strictest sense, our experiences here in pa, without any forced pooling, may be of some benefit to our shale neighbors to the south in west virginia, so i do think it neighborly to offer any real life experiences we may have for their perusal.

in no way would i think to offer advice though or try to interfere with what seems like a serious matter down there. that is their business and i wish them all the best.

wj

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service