I'm new to "gomarcellusshale", as well as new to this business.  We have a 152 acre farm with "Clinton" gas wells which supply our needs.

We've been approached by Fossil Creek Energy Corp (FCEC) for $50/acre, 12.5% Royalty, and $10,000 if a well is drilled.  We are sitting on the Utica Strata.  I've carefully read the lease and am very suspicious of the terms.  We are consulting attorneys.  I don't see any members from Noble County..and some interesting notes from Guernsey which lead me to suspect the FCEC lease.  Can they broker a lease after signing "cheap"?

We have news of ARTEX Oil offering leases in our County, they're out of Marietta.  Any comment on FCEC, ARTEX, and my suspicions would be welcomed!

Views: 52124

Replies to This Discussion

I saw this topic on this site and thought I would bring it forward. If you're going to sign a lease you best make sure you're getting gross royalties.....and none of this post production BS! Do your homework and don't be taken advantage of by these oil companies. They stand to make trillions of dollar off the marcellus & utica shale plays. Read as much as you can!!!

http://gomarcellusshale.com/group/tiogacounty/forum/topics/chesapea...

You should see something like this in your lease:

Costs of Production.  Lessee shall place oil and gas produced from the Leased Premises in marketable condition and shall market same as agent for Lessor, at no cost to Lessor. Except as expressly provided in (d) above, Lessor’s royalty shall not be charged directly or indirectly with any expense required to make gas marketable, including but not limited to the following: expenses of production, gathering, dehydration, compression, manufacturing, processing, treating, transporting or marketing of gas, oil, or any liquefiable hydrocarbons extracted therefrom.

A statement to that effect is in the FCEC leases.Everyone should make sure you're clear on the type of royalty stipulated!
Hello Mark do you have a phone number for Fossil Creek? Thanks
Try 405.949.0880 or 800.580.0885. We worked with Brady Meyer. I think this is the Oklahoma number..

Okay, I knew I had a reason to be suspicious of the bonus payment language in the Eclipse lease. Here is a snippit of what it says in the lease:

Advanced Delay Rentals: To pay to the Lessor within 90 days of the Lease Date, as pre-paid delay rentals, the sum of $2600.00 per net mineral acre (the "advanced Delay Rental Payment") Notwithstanding anything contained anywhere in this lease or any public law to the contrary, The parties hereto stipulate and agree that this is a "Paid Up" lease with no further delay rental or delay in marketing payments due to lessor during the Primary Term of hereof, and that any and all bonuses and delay rentals due or payable hereunder have been prepaid to Lessor for  the purpose of keeping this lease in effect during and for the entirety of the Primary Term.

This is what I found on Delay Rentals:

http://www.hh-law.com/News/20110201PaymentOfdelayRentalsAloneCannot...

Delay rentals have long been used in the industry as a means to suspend the implied obligation to develop the leasehold during the primary term. By paying the delay rental, the operator can preserve and maintain the lease without actual production. As long as the operator pays the delay rental, it is under no obligation to drill a well or conduct any exploratory activities. Such payments are “in the nature of liquidated damages for the lessee’s decision to forego production” and are viewed as the consideration paid to the landowner in lieu of a production royalty. SeeHutchinson v. Sunbeam Coal Corp., 519 A.2d 385, 388 (Pa. 1986); see alsoJacobs v. CNG Transmission, 332 F.Supp.2d 759, 785 (W.D. Pa. 2004) (“[I]t is customary for the parties to an oil and gas lease to agree that a minimum advance royalty shall be paid for the lessee’s right to forgo immediate development...”); Marshall v. Forrest Oil Co., 47 A. 927 (Pa. 1901) (delay rental compensates the lessor for the lessee’s delinquency in commencing production). In the absence of actual production, the failure to make a timely delay rental payment can result in the automatic forfeiture of the lease during the primary term. SeeBertani v. C.E. Beck, 479 A.2d 534 (Pa. Super. 1984).

Boy, these guys are a bunch of weasels!!!!!!

well...hmmm....uhh...ok.  lol
Well.......hmmmmmm....ya live and learn.....right? lol :-)
TP you are absolutely right ! (but I still think I have the wet spot)  lol
I'm excited to see the lease from kwgd. I think they will have a specific clause in my lease that says I sit on the wet spot. LOL

"Ok Ok I give up you get the wet spot...lol

What is the primary term of your lease?

Finnbear, it is 5 years with a provision for another 5 years.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service