Chesapeake Energy Corp. CHK +2.41% is pushing Ohio landowners to accept revised lease contracts that would help the cash-strapped driller save money while holding on to its prized oil and gas fields.

The company's actions, documented in scores of property and court records, aren't the first time that Chesapeake has tried to change the terms of lease deals, or walked away from them. Since 2008, more than 100 lawsuits have been filed across the country by landowners, who claim the company breached contracts. In some cases, settlements have been reached, in other cases the litigation continues.

Ohio Department of Natural Resources

The company doesn't dispute that it has sought to renegotiate leases in Ohio. In cases in other states where Chesapeake has walked away from deals, it contends that it had the contractual right to do so.

Chesapeake, the country's second-largest natural-gas producer, has spent about $2 billion to lease the mineral rights to more than a million acres—about 5% of Ohio's land mass—in a bet that Ohio's Utica Shale fields will become a major oil producer. The leases contain deadlines by which the company must drill wells costing millions of dollars apiece or give up rights to the property.

Facing a cash crunch and mounting pressure from activist shareholders to trim spending, Chesapeake is seeking contract changes that would allow it to drill fewer wells while keeping the leases. It is generally required to drill at least one well on a specified group of properties known as a unit; it is trying to bundle leases into much bigger units, which will allow it to drill fewer wells but retain rights to more acreage

The bigger units mean that each landowner's stake of any oil or gas produced is smaller, but they could potentially share in production from more wells.

Chesapeake's agents tell landowners that they will be shut out of the oil and gas boom if they don't agree to the changes, according to landowners interviewed by The Wall Street Journal, which reviewed more than 100 property records in Ohio filed over the past year detailing the changes.

The company says the changes it seeks are minor and that most landowners have been amenable to them.

It says that many of the leases it acquired in Ohio were negotiated by other companies, some going back more than 20 years, and are ill-suited for the horizontal wells needed to extract oil and gas from shale rock; it acknowledges, however, that it stands to save money by combining leases into units that cover two square miles, at least twice the size of most existing units.

"Our objective is to employ the unit size that takes full advantage of breakthroughs in technology, and creates efficiencies in the use of capital," said Michael Kehs, a Chesapeake spokesman. Bigger units, he said, improve landowners' odds of sharing in a productive well.

Chesapeake carries significant clout in Ohio's rustbelt, where some landowners are eager to begin receiving royalties. More than 100 landowners in Carroll County alone have accepted the lease amendments so far this year, property records show.

"They've brought some industry to an area that's definitely needed it," said Byron Shankel, a farmer in Carroll County, southeast of Akron.

Others, though, are rankled.

"It kind of makes you mad," said Karen Hampton, who owns about 10 acres in Carroll County and refused to be part of a larger unit. She is one of eight landowners who last month sued Chesapeake to cancel their leases, alleging the company's agents, known as land men, warned them their property would become a "hole on the map" if they didn't agree to change their leases.

The company declined to comment on litigation. The company, in its legal response, said the plaintiffs failed to allege the specific circumstances in which the "hole on the map" comment was made, and that it was legally insufficient to support a charge of fraud. Chesapeake says in court filings that landowners are looking to cancel valid leases to pursue richer offers.

Chesapeake has recorded more than 3,000 leases in Carroll County since late 2010.

Joel Gingerich and his wife leased their 11 acres, which gave them a 7% stake in their original 160-acre unit. Their interest in the new 1,280-acre unit would be less than 1%.

"We all held out a little bit," he said, speaking of his neighbors. "In the end, I think most of us signed. They said if we don't sign, they'll just go around us, and we'll miss out altogether."

Chesapeake's flood-the-zone approach to leasing has helped the company capture coveted oil and gas fields across the country. But the strategy also saddled it with expensive drilling obligations: By the end of last year, Chesapeake had to drill to preserve the leases on more than half of the 15 million acres it controls, an area three times the size of New Jersey.

With the plunge in natural-gas prices, the amount of cash Chesapeake expects to generate from operations this year is less than half the amount it plans to spend on drilling and leasing. The shortfall has prompted the company to try to sell as much as $14 billion of its assets. It has slashed its annual land-leasing budget to $1.6 billion from $4.8 billion last year.

Amid the global financial crisis in the fall of 2008, Chesapeake tried to delay or walk away from lease deals to conserve cash. The moves triggered lawsuits in the Haynesville Shale in Louisiana and Texas.

A federal judge in Houston ruled last week that Chesapeake must honor a contract to buy leases from three Texas landowners for more than $100 million, a deal the company refused to close in 2008. Chesapeake says it will appeal. The company is also seeking to overturn a $22 million judgment over a 2008 deal on leases in east Texas.

Views: 9694

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Ken,

CHK representatives hav been approaching my neighbors who have leases specifying 640 acre units (max) and asking that they agree to 1280 acre units. It is not simply a question of upsizing the old Clinton formation leases from 40 acres. I haven't been approached yet because I'm leased to Rex but I fully expect to get traded to CHK as I'm surrounded by CHK leases.

Given the circumstances I view the attempt to get folks to go from 640 to 1280 as a ploy to hold as much land as possible by HBP.

Regrettably Mike your observation is generally accurate.  Achieving HBP status is a driving force and understandable from Chesapeake's perspective given the  cash intensive obligation for lease bonuses.  There are a myriad of reasons that a producer will throw out in the way of positive benefits to landowners in larger units.  Some are valid, others ... not so much. 

640 acres is one square mile, which would allow the drilling laterals to extend 1/2 mile from the wellsite.  Current technology allows the laterals to be 1 mile from the wellsite, hence the changer from 640 acres to 1280 acres.  It has nothing whatever to do with holding land for HBP.  It has to do with the advance of technology.  Your use of the word "ploy" betrays your mistrust and misunderstanding of the reasons for this.  I believe that you would be much happier, and better served by trying to understand the legitimate business reasons why companies might ask for changes in leases, rather than rely on any "hunch" or feelings that you may have, or the uneducated opinion of others.  Since you've leased your property, I have to believe that you want and expect your oil and/or gas to be extracted and sold at the best possible price.  Ultimately, you will have to rely on the expertise of the O&G company to do this for you, and to do it in the most cost efficient and effective way possible.  This is where you have got to come to the understanding that the O&G company has hundreds, or maybe thousands of experts-engineers, geologists, marketers, mid-stream companies-that know what they are doing, and you have got to rely on their abilities.  I liken O&G leasing to flying on an airplane as a passenger.  You may understand the concept of flight, you may know a lot about airplanes, and you have paid for your ticket-but, the pilot still can't let you into the cockpit to give him advice, because, ultimately, he has the responsibility for the flight.  Good luck to you in the future.  I hope that this helps.

Your points are valid but at the same time when the discussion concerns CHK they cannot drill all their lease holds in this area without 1280 units. Someone on this board did the math and at current lease holds they need 7 years to do this with 640 units.
Yes technology is changing all the time but I signed in january with a 640 lease and within 3 months they were calling me for a 1280 unit. Why not just lease 1280? For many of us in this area this was a windfall out of almost now where and I bet a lot of landowners would have gladly signed a 1280 if that's how it started. I also bet we would have signed leases with a couple more years added, again if that's how it started. CHK moved to fast, made decisions they now wish to correct on new leases without giving any consideration and I asked for very reasonable ones which were turned down.
Now if I was in an old Clinton lease I would happily sit at the table and try my best to work with them to up my unit size since like you said and I agree the object is to extract the oil and gas out of the ground and the landowner has to know their leases call for too small of a unit. Right now though I believe CHK will HBP 1280 leases since time is not on their side for the newer leases they accepted or presented themselves the past 2 years with 640 units. Until all the pipes are in we all know we will be HBP no matter what size you are in.
As landowners we also don't know where the markets are going or where the next big play will be. If something else comes up or the prices for oil fall they will move on and hold you and all your neighbors with one well on 1280 acres. All these co's need to do is show respect and I bet they will find out quickely we will reopen our leases. Threats and zero consideration is not the way to gain our trust.

I am in  not an advocate for Chesapeake and really have no idea what they are doing where you live.  I am just giving information.  I would beware of anyone who posts on the internet at all and gives numbers as to what can or could not be drilled, or gives absolutes in any way, shape or form.   I can assure you they do not know.  In the Army we called them "outhouse lawyers"-I have cleaned up the term for you and others, but I'm sure you understand.  I do not understand the preoccupation with HBP, since the term itself means that there is production.  Whether the unit is 1280 acre or 160 acres is basically immaterial.  My original point was that the author of the article did not know what he was talking about, and used the fact that Chesapeake was attempting to modify leases to conform with current technology, instead of archaic drilling trends, that are being improved upon daily, in order to attack Chesapeake and the oil and gas industry as a whole.  Everyone in the unit benefits by a larger unit.  If you have a 64 acres tract in a 640 acre unit, it is true that your royalty is based on 10% of the production of the unit.  Likewise, if the unit was 1280 acres, your acreage would only be 5% of the whole, but it would be multiplied by all of the production from the larger unit, which should be exponentially larger.  The "HBP" concern, I believe is based on the erroneous belief that without HBP, you would be able to lease your property every 5 years or so, at an ever increasing bonus rate.  I believe that this is simplistic at its best, foolish at its core, and dangerous at its worst.  It is only on people's minds today because of the low-rent outfits of the past that leased land for $5 an acre, as an investment with the idea of flipping it to a major company in the future.  Properties may have gone through several of these leases over the years because no major company was willing or able to put out the tremendous amount of money to build the infrastructure necessary to successfully market the gas and oil.  When, finally, a major player, such as Cheapeake steps out and takes the risk, they are rewarded with xenophobia.  (Look it up)  If you have not been shown respect, I would remember that respect is a two-way street.   You may not look upon a company, or their representatives as friends, but you are, in effect, in a partnership with them, with them being the lead partner, as they have the expertise that you do not.  I wish you the best.

Ken... I like the airplane/flying analogy, but I have a question.  Where do the stewardesses fit into the story? 

I have to call cowpucky on what Ken and Jim are saying. First off, other companies such as Rex are doing quite nicely with 640 acre units. Secondly, a company can do seperate units off the same well pad with multiple bores. A little extra work and accounting but definately doable.

Ken is also incorrect when he says that landowners are simply passengers - we are more like the owners of the plane that the O&G companies are renting. History shows us clearly what happens to landowners who blindly accept what an O&G company tells them.

Ken is also incorrect when he says landowners have to rely on the the expertise of the O&G companies. This is a contract and it is as much about the business terms and conditions as it is about the technical expertise of the O&G company. Folks in dry gas areas (PA) are learning that the companies will do what is in the companies interest (stop or drastically slow drilling programs, walk away from submitted (for due diligence) leases, shut in wells) when that may not be in the landowners interest.

You seem to have a very low opinion of landowners Ken - Just dumb old passengers on the O&G company plane.

Ken can defend himself but a plain reading of his previous post didn't allude to the fact that landowner/passengers were dumb, in fact far from it.  Some of the smartest people on a plane are oftentimes the passengers.  The pilots are merely the only ones that know how to fly the plane and as a non-flying passenger you are forced to trust that the pilot is good at what he is doing... and that's a determination you make while you are still on the ground and not at 35,000 feet.  Ownership of the plane is irrelevant, you still don't get to step into the cockpit and take over the controls when you don't know an altimeter from a barometer. 

The analogy fails quite early. I've never seen a drilling derrick fall from the sky and crash. There is not the immediacy of consequences as there is in air flight. Ownership of the plane is absolutely relevant - a pilot who steps into a plane and takes it anywhere without the explicit permission of the planes owner is also called a thief.

As far as lawyers, I think Ken should take a step back and look in a mirror. He's is telling people what they should do because he has some special insight that we all don't have. If it is only about efficiency and not about HBP then CHK shouldn't have any problem guaranteeing landowners that in exchange for an increase in unit size from 640 acres to 1280 acres there will be a contractual drilling schedule for all bores in a unit with penalties for failure to meet that schedule. I think we all know the likelyhood of that happening.

And Steve, if the "pilot" (O&G company) breaches the contract then yes, I MAY have the right to step up and take over the controls. I'm not interested in going that route but I'm also not going to shy away from it because "I'm not the pilot".

Whenever someone's argument fails, you can count on them getting louder and more disagreeable.  Thank you for your definition of "thief", although it was never asked for or alluded to in anything I 've read here.  Obviously, my earlier advice of being in partnerships with the O&G companies and not being adversarial has been disregarded.

Your assertion is that a pilot has some sort of god like powers that superceed anything else. Simply not true.

I made a deal with Rex and I would be perfectly happy being a partner with them. There are other O&G companies that I respect and would be happy being a partner with.

CHK leaves a bad taste in my mouth. From the first time I had dealings with them/their representatives (Kenyon Energy from a month after it was formed) I have found them to be untrustworthy and duplicitious - which is one of the reasons I chose to sign with Rex.

If I failed to meet the letter of the lease contract I have no doubt that CHK would hold me to the letter. Question for the board to demonstrate whether or not Ken is correct: Is there anyone on this board that has asked CHK for a lease modification on their initiative where CHK has said "no problem, we will make the change and not demand anything in return"?

The second desperate act of a failed augument is to enlist others that, hopefully, will agree with him and make him feel vindicated.  Listen-I get it- you don't like Chesapeake.  God love you!  Everyone doesn't have to like vanilla ice cream.  Nothing that you have said has had one iota of relevence to my inital post.  Modifications to leases are made all of the time, for many reasons.  My point was that the inept writer of he original article does not know his subject, and has used the article as a weapon to vilify a company and an industry that he knows nothing about.  If your only interaction with Chesapeake Energy has been meeting with, (and obviously, not being impressed by), a few independent contractors who happened to be contracted to lease for them, and your entire opinion of the company formed from this superficial encounter, then I would say that you are as oblivious as the author, and are speaking from obtuseness or bias, not facts. 

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service