BP has announced two massive oil discoveries 36,000' below the sea floor.  Its so deep that they must develop new materials and methods to extract it.  The pressures are at 20,000lbs/sq inch and the temps at 350 degrees. But they say it may be $2 trillion dollars of oil.

http://www.ctpost.com/business/energy/article/BP-pushes-technical-l...

Views: 2295

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

That's amazing right there!

WOW !!!!

Just what we need..

British Petroleum drilling in USA ....

Our soverign sea rights extend out 200 miles  !!

I also notice a lot of BRITISH TV news commentators recently...on our news Channels...

Personally I have no love for the British....

I think this is just a STUNT... because they are losing oil $$ to Fracking...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I wouldn't trust anything.. the British say...

Guess we are just a "colony" again  ??

BP is drilling wells in Ohio

You're joking, right?  There's no way you can both be serious and capable of normal brain functions such as eating, breathing, et al.

I guess 36,000 feet and 350 degrees and 20,000 psi doesn't "refine" oil to methane down yonder in the Gulf..................?

Wow Trapper, you dug really deep to dig this one back up.

I wondered the same thing.  About a year ago I was Houston talking to an old friend that is a retired petro eng from Shell Oil. I asked him how they get oil from 20,000' when organics here that are below 8-10,000' are dry gas and deeper than 12,000' are called over cooked. He said that the shale rock here in Pa is very old 250-300 million years old.  The gulf where they are drilling is a mere 50 million yrs old.  This 'young' rock has had less time to cook so it is still good.

He went on to say that the Canadian tars sands, and some experimental wells in the US Rockies,  work by injecting steam into tar sands and heating it up speeding up the curing process.

Thanks for posting that story Jim. What stuck in my mind was the extreme depth and pressure.
Would sure be nice to own a few acres of that real estate!
Will this oil be priced by OPEC?

Why would it be priced by OPEC?

At 20,000 PSI it gets very interesting as those pressures are very dangerous! Every thing in the game plan gets very expensive and the safety requirements wow!

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service