ODNR Division of Geological Survey has released the much anticipated Utica "HOT SPOT" maps for Ohio.

Central Ohio looks HOT,HOT, HOT with S2 values.  Far exceeding eastern Ohio.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/geosurvey/tabid/23014/Default.aspx

Then you have to scroll down the page until you come to the Utica Shale Files For Download entries and click on the entries with the date 'Updated 11/23/2012' at the end (in red).

Those will open maps that have now been updated from those contained in the last report dated 3/27/2012.

Or you can click on them here

Views: 16202

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Rock-Eval Parameters

rockeval2

Direct measurements

S1 : the already generated oil in the rock. These are the free hydrocarbons (oil and gas) already present in the sample, and they are distilled out of the sample at initial heating of the sample to a temperature of 350 ° C.  Free hydrocarbons increase with depth. These values may be anomalously high from migration and contamination by drilling fluids and mud. 

• S1 = 1.0 mg HC/g dry rock -- Minimum value for good source rocks. 

S2 : the amount of hydrocarbons generated through thermal cracking of nonvolatile organic matter (kerogen) when the sample temperature is increased to 550 ° C. S2 is an indication of the quantity of hydrocarbons that the rock may potentially produce should burial and maturation continue. This parameter normally decreases with burial depths >1 km.

• S2 >= 5.0 mg HC/dry rock -- Minimum value for good source rocks. 

S3 :  The trapped CO 2 released during pyrolysis up to a temperature of 390 ° C.  This value is proportional to the oxygen present in the kerogen.  Carbonate rocks may increase S3 values.

T max :  The temperature at maximum release of hydrocarbons occurs during Rock-Eval pyrolysis.  This occurs at the top of the S2 peak.  T max is a maturation parameter that is kerogen-dependent.

Derived measurements

HI :  Hydrogen index [HI = (S2/TOC) x 100].  The ratio of S2 hydrogen (in mg HC/g dry rock) to total organic carbon (TOC), in grams.   The hydrogen index is a measure of the hydrogen richness of the source rock, and when the kerogen type is known it can be used to estimate the thermal maturity of the rock.  When plotted against the oxygen index (OI), the HI can be used to provide a crude assesment of the petroleum generative potential in a source rock (Peters and Moldowan, 1993). 

OI :  Oygen index [OI = (S3/TOC) x 100].  The ratio of S3 (mg CO2/g dry rock) to TOC (in grams). This parameter measures the oxygen richness of a source rock and can be used in conjunction with the hydrogen index to estimate the quality and thermal maturity of source rocks. This index is unreliable in rocks with high carbonate content. High OI values (>50 mg/g) are characteristic of immature hydrocarbons.

PI : Production index [PI = S 1 /[S 1 + S 2 ]. The production index is the ratio of already generated hydrocarbon to potential hydrocarbons. Low ratios indicate either immaturity or extreme postmature organic matter. High rations indicate the mature stage or contamination by migrated hydrocarbons or drilling additives. The PI increases steadily with depth and associated hydrocarbon generation.

The reason to demonstrate S2 maps is because the producer can get additional hydrocarbons out of the rock using Pyrolysis of kerogen.....see above.  It may take a higher expense to get the results they want.

Thanks for your time and answer.  I looked up Pyrolysis of Kerogen and now the pieces to the puzzle fit.

Thanks Again.

Jason,

I traversed the Baaken (sp?) Shale territory in September via Amtrak and was surprised that every well I saw (and there must have been 100's) had a pump jack on site. I posted this info on another GMS string a while back, and a respondent thought that the Baaken was a "tight sands" play versus pure Shale. (Not sure how or if that affects well development or pump jack need.)

Under any circumstances, maybe you can shed further light on this topic. Could pump jacks in the oil zone of the Utica be an effective method of bringing the more viscous oil to the surface? I've also read somewhere that a different, larger diameter propant may be necessary during fracking to create and maintain larger fissures in the shale.

BluFlame

BluFlame.....it could be.

I hear a big pumpjack is/was installed on the Gribi well in Tusc. county.

No worrd on any production numbers though......it is a CHK  well.

Pump jacks are used to remove liquids from the wellbore - either oil or water.  For a very brief idea, they can be used in a few ways:

(1) with high-viscosity oil, or low-pressure systems, the oil will not flow on its own to surface and needs some additional help.  The pump jack is a cheap, long-term solution to this problem

(2) in gas wells, if you have either water or oil/condensate and not enough energy to get it out of the wellbore, the liquid will pool at the bottom of the well until enough pools where the column exerts enough pressure to keep gas from flowing out entirely.  Again, a pump jack can help clear out these fluids - either to be sold or just to remove nuisance water.

Hope that helps some!

Cheers,

-AreaMan

Thanks Paul & AM,

Any input on changing fracking material to create larger fissures and keep the fissures open? It seems to make intuitive theoretical sense, but do not know what problems would be created in execution.

BluFlame

I think you are more correct that we know at this point.  Only time will tell but initial Geophysical data indicates that Reservoir Pressure and Micro Geology will determine the overall production in some areas.

Jason, thanks for the answer to my question and many thanks for turning this thread into an educational one versus just the location of the sweetest spot.  The multitude of factors affecting an oil company and a landowner getting a gusher vs. a dry hole is mind boggling but fascinating.  

JODI,

Gulfport, who's had the best well results to date, posted their techie analysis of the Utica Shale play on their website. Their data is really interesting. I've attached it below.

BluFlame

Attachments:

Gulfport's December Investor report adds Shugert 1-12H to their well results. This well reported ~7500 BOE/d initial production. I can't find a shale well anywhere in any play that compares! Maybe someone else has seen better well results from another shale well??

BluFlame

Attachments:

JODI,

This adds credibility to your assertion that the E&P's have better data than ODNR! GPOR's maps would lead you to a different "sweet spot" conclusion than ODNR's. I'd bet my money on GPOR!!

BluFlame

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service