Here is my question? Say you have 30 wells pumping into a pipe line to the cracking plant. If some wells produce wetter gas than others, then how do you know you are getting your fair share of the royalties from the distilates produced from your well, or would all the gas be mixed together and someone with dry gas recieve royalties on other wet gas wells?                                                          if dog rabbit

Views: 4046

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I don't think you are going to see companies going after just NGL's and flaring the methane.  Flaring the gas would be the equivalent of throwing away half the value.   NGL's aren't expensive enough to justify this.  Now, $100BBL oil on the other hand.... 

I agree with you that right now it does not make economic sense to flare excess gas.  I am worried that by the summer of 2013 or 2014 there will be enough Utica wells online to fill up the pipeline and gas storage capacity.  CHK has to drill a minimum of 50 Utica wells a year because of their JV with Total.  Plus all of the other gas companies bringing their wells online.  Texas has already started flaring wells because the pipeline is at capacity.  It may happen here in OH in a couple of years.

Does anyone know if what is commonly known as drip gas is the same as wet gas? I have heard that older farmers years ago used drip gas from the oil wells and put it in their tractors. I heard it ran them but with a lot of smoke.

Yes, drip or casinghead gas comes from some forms of wet gas.

Drip gas is very high octane, about the same as aviation fuel. Some old timers used to mix a qt of oil with 5 gallons of drip gas. Could account for the smoke.

Would the engine "diesel" after you shut it off?

From wikipedia,

Some very early internal combustion engines—such as the first types made by Karl Benz, and early Wright brothers aircraft engines—used natural gasoline, which could be either drip gas or a similar range of hydrocarbons distilled from crude oil. Natural gasoline has an octane rating of about 30 to 50, sufficient for the low-compression engines of the early 20th century. By 1930, improved engines and higher compression ratios required higher-octane, refined gasolines to produce power without knocking or detonation.

Beginning in the Great Depression, drip gas was used as a replacement for commercial gasoline by people in oil-producing areas. "In the days of simple engines in automobiles and farm tractors it was not uncommon for anyone having access to a condensate well to fill his tank with 'drip,'" according to the Oklahoma Historical Society. Sometimes it worked fine. "At other times it might cause thundering backfires and clouds of foul-smelling smoke."[10]

Woody Guthrie's autobiographical novel Seeds of Man begins with Woody and his uncle Jeff tapping a natural gas pipeline for drip gas. The gas also has a mention in Badlands, the Terrence Malick movie.[11]

It was sold commercially at gas stations and hardware stores in North America until the early 1950's. The White gas sold today is a similar product but is produced at refineries with the benzene removed.[12]

In 1975, the New Mexico State Police's drip gas detail – three men in pickup trucks – began patrolling oil and gas fields, catching thieves and recovering barrels of stolen gas. The detail stopped its work in 1987.[13]

The use of drip gas in cars and trucks is now illegal in many states. It is also harmful to modern engines due to its low octane rating, high heat of combustion and lack of additives. It has a distinctive smell when used as a fuel, which allowed police to catch people using drip gas illegally.[14][15]

Do you think the hydrocarbons are the same no matter what formation they come from?

does anybody think the feds are going to let anybody build a pipeline up i-11? these need to be big lines . obama will cancel these too. and a billions of dollar cracker or three? 12 years in epa studies.

Pilgrams, Been in the indudtry 36 years, first 16 years in  pipeline construction, The last 20 years in measurement and regulation. What is you back round?

Hey MS...Do you know what kind of volume a Marcellus and Utica well produce as far as  formation water (brine).  Is it hard to calculate because of flowback frac water that comes back over time? Does it vary with wet,dry or Utica or Marcellus. If  a gas frac (instead of water) were to be done, what kind of production waste water volume would be expected on a typical well.  Same as clinton well? 

Frac fluids imbibe into formation intertitial spaces via capillary pressure forces, and as such, recoveries of 10-30% of the pumped fluids is all you are likely to recover. Adding surfactants (soap, etc) or using fluids with differing viscosities may slightly improve recovery.

Nat gas often contains saturated water vapor( approx. 1 bbl/mmscf) that will condense in the surface facilities (knock out or separator vessel.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service