"“We are reducing capital spending in dry gas plays in North America, which accounts for the majority of the decrease over 2011. Underpinning this is a belief that North American gas prices will remain low for some time; we have also assumed a relatively conservative oil price forecast.”

He said Talisman is shifting focus to the liquids-rich parts of its portfolio and expects strong growth in liquids production in North America.

In discussing its third-quarter results, Talisman had said in November that its 2012 plans would likely include a greater focus on liquids-rich natural gas and asset sales.  ...

More than a year ago, Talisman bulked up its presence in a liquids-rich part of the Eagle Ford shale in Texas, alongside Norway’s Statoil. The company signalled in November that capital in 2012 will likely be funnelled toward the Eagle Ford, and away from dry gas holdings in the Marcellus play in northeastern United States and the Montney formation in Western Canada. ..."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/talisman-to-trim-...

Views: 1387

Replies to This Discussion

Lack of major pipeline capacity is not a factor in northeast TC. 

"Empire Pipeline - Tioga County Extension Project

As of November 22, 2011, all facilities associated with this project were in-service. The new, 15-mile pipeline will bring abundant supplies of domestic, clean-burning natural gas from locally produced Marcellus Shale and Trenton-Black River gas wells to consumers in this region and beyond.

The Tioga County Extension Project included the construction of approximately 15 miles of a 24-inch pipeline, beginning near the New York/Pennsylvania State Line just west of John Hill Road in Jackson Township, P.A., and ending near the Millennium Pipeline Compressor Station on Quackenbush Hill, just north of West Road in Corning Township, N.Y. ... "
http://www.natfuel.com/empire/tioga/default.aspx

And last summer/fall SWEPI installed a trunk gathering line in Jackson and Rutland Twps.  There may be others, but this is the one that crosses a road I regularly use.  Yet, according to the 2011 DEP Permits spreadsheet, not a single permit was issued in Rutland Twp last year. Go figure! 

Also, East did have the old T/BR leases pretty well held when SWEPI took over (with single horizontal wells) and SWEPI is doing 6-well pads here.

But Shell is working on building up the infrastructure to handle the gas.  Recently approved was zoning for two compressor stations in Delmar Township and I've heard that Duncan Township is expecting a water treatment plant, compressor station and approving a trailer site (16) to accommodate the workers.  

If you study how the BR/T pockets of gas and oil are formed on the internet, you begin to discover that they are often fault related.  These pockets are not a universal blanket as is the Marcellus and the Utica.  The Utica in Tioga County is at a similar depth as the Marcellus is in the northeastern and southwestern parts of Pa. where wetter gas was found.  Depth is only one factor in the formation of wet gas and oil, but it adds hope that the Utica will be important in Tioga County.  The BR/T will be an individual crapshoot probably for only a few landowners in localized pockets, but it may bring good royalties from high gas production, wet gas, or oil for those lucky enough to particapate.

I think perhaps heavier equipment is required to drill down and horizontally in the BR/T pockets, equipment which may currently be in scarce supply.  Also, how does a company transport wet gas for processing to a cracking plant if the pipelines are all full of dry gas?  Why remove wet gas at all if the cracking plants are not readily available yet?  Must some or all of the dry gas be removed from upper formations before wet gas or oil is extracted?  I wouldn't think so, but I certainly do not know the answer.  One last question is, are there enough leases held that actually contain uncontestable legal right to formations below the Marcellus, or below the Onendaga which the DEP has some unit size/ spacing control over should it choose to excersize it?

The T/BR formation is a pocket gas play that produces quickly. If the formation is entered correctly the well can double or triple Marcellus well production initially. They die off quickly though. The hit rate for T/BR wells is much lower than Marcellus wells. In the 60-65% range. Oriskany and Onendaga are similar also.

I have not heard of to many people even requesting or getting horizon leases. Horizons being what the industry terms as depth. Most all leases are all inclusive cover all formations. There are definately multiple producable formations in Tioga County. I guess it really comes down to if you are above a pocket or not. I would guess that if any of the seismic data that has been collected over the past 5-6 years showed any chance of producable oil or liquids at least one of these companies would have tried to tap it already. Does anyone know if any test wells have been permited into the Utica here in Tioga.

I was looking at a gas well location map of Tioga count recently and noticed some areas being completely avoided for the most part. I wonder why that might be. 

I had some minor thought as to why a gasco would withhold information about wet gas or oil.  If land must be purchased for extra refinement, processing, or transport facilities in an area, it would be best to purchas or lease such land cheaply before any information about its use is public knowledge.  Can wet gas be transported easily to a facility in West Virginia or SW Pa, or would another facility in New York or someplace closer be practical?  Do you build additional pipelines?  This is very speculative thinking but something to keep an eye out for in the future.

On the pattern of well placement, it would be interesting if the newer wells formed any kind of a boundry around given areas.  It would be interesting to see what wells hit faults as well.

One reason for avoiding an area is that the Marcellus isn't thick enough to be profitable. (At least with present technology.)  Another is an existing storage area and/or a lot of old unmapped conventional wells.  (Not worth the additional risk.)  And, DCNR land that hasn't been put out for bids. (So far, private mineral rights owners don't seem to have pushed to exercise their rights.) 

Oh, some of us pushed and shouted, but it fell on deaf ears probably stuffed with money.  Can you describe those rights that still exist?

?  The state doesn't own the mineral rights for 80-85% of State Park land. 

I think that I misunderstood what private land owners you were talking about.  I guess that you are saying that the actual owners of the mineral rights for the State Park land have not expressed their wishes as far as leasing goes.  Sorry if I missed that clarification.

No problem.  I just didn't understand your reply.  Same holds for state forest and game land, but I didn't find actual percentages.  Don't know, but I'd think for the more popular state lands it would be hard to find an o/g company to lease the rights ... not good PR.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service