Saw this and thought I'd throw it out in the open. http://smallbusiness.foxbusiness.com/entrepreneurs/2013/11/13/start...

If it would work for left behind what about a virgin find? Hmm

Views: 6422

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Logistics ?

Thinking out loud a little :

It seems to me you also have to figure where the ethane supply originates.

Have to get the ethane to the well and haul production ( still containing the ethane ) back ( or to another 'Cracker' plant ).

That's my point. The ethane would likely be stripped back out somewhere in the Gulf at a refinery and cracked down there , not piped all the way back here for cracking. Maybe we should be thinking Crackers AND Refineries being built up here to handle this. Bring the mountain to Mohammed , so to speak! Logistics simplified.

There's a new 'Cracker' that's supposed to be built in WV from what I've been reading.

Another in the northern tier would be helpful ( I'm thinking ).

They're not all that cheap to build however.

Ethane will be produced in mass quantity right here in Harrision, Columbiana, and Carroll County guys.  Not necessarily in the Gulf.  Read investor presentations for MarkWest and M3 Midstream regarding processing.  There may be an oversupply in a 2-3 years.

Jason , where in Columbiana?

This could be great if the ethane can be used to free up heavy oil to allow pumping it up to the surface. Sounds like a win win!
Could we be on the cusp of a real solution for our thick oil issues? There may be a real Utica oil boom after all.
Hoping so.

Seems promising.

Build those 'Crackers'.

Just to clarify, the crude oil coming from the Utica is not "heavy" oil.  In the continuum of liquid hydrocarbons, the crude is actually quite light, approaching the lightness in density of condensate.  The problem is getting the large, complex, paraffinic crude oil molecule to flow out of the shale, into the natural and man-made fractures, and then into the well bore.  Speculation:  I do not see any benefit to the use of ethane unless it is injected to flood a portion of the formation and perhaps thereby dissolve the crude oil to some degree, allowing it to flow from the shale into the fractures.  Even if techically feasible, this would a long-term, very capital intensive proposition, and I guess far down the list of potential experiments to produce more from the Utica.

PG Guy,

Do you have any guess as to the matrix perm in that part of the play?  I know porosity was good as far out as Ashland county but the pressure was nonexistent.  Wonder if the porosity and ultimately matrix perm are good enough to flow in a normally pressurized reservoir.  Any thoughts?

Marcus and pg guy,

They're term for the oil in most of Ashtabula and portions of northern Trumbull is ' Black Oil ' with some areas in the southeast corner of Ashtabula County as ' Volatile Oil ' or as ' Low or High GOR Oil ' .

Can either of you explain those terms ?

I can't address your question in its entirety, but this I have observed:  In much of Ashtabula County crude produced from the Clinton is much darker than crude from adjacent areas of PA and OH, thus the name "Black Oil".  This is an informal designation of relative color, as chemically the crude is virtually identical to the adjacent lighter colored crude.  Compared to asphaltic crudes produced outside the Appalachian basin, this is still a light colored crude. 

I am guessing that the "GOR" designation refers to high or low "gas-oil ratio" crude, but I would be glad to have that confirmed (or not) by someone familiar with the designation. 

Yes, GOR is gas-to-oil ratio.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service