Look for development along the Cambridge Cross- Strike Structural Discontinuity.

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Portals/10/pdf/Map-PG-23_Vers-2.pdf

Views: 10928

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Here is a Google Earth map layer of the Updated Precambrian Unconformity Map for Guernsey co.  I also included the Clark, Dobeck  and NCD3 well units.  It is very interesting that the 3 wells are next and on top of the fault line. You will need Google Earth installed on your computer to view the maps.

You can download Google Earth here if you don't have it installed:http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html

Attachments:
Thank you Philip.

I'll have to look at your at your links tomorrow afternoon when I can get to my desktop.

I only have access to my mobile device now and it can't handle those files effectively.

J-O
Got the Google earth layer to report on my mobile device afterall.

Will be more helpful to me when we get more data ( including precambrian fault data ) pertinent to our near geography.

I'll nose around the net and see what I can find as well.

Thanks.

J-O

Very nice work Philip.  These should be helpful to a lot of people.  As a geologist I would like to make one caveat about the preCambrian  fault traces.  Many non-geologists are likely unaware that many of these faults are not believed to extend significantly upwards from the basement rocks toward the surface.  While they will likely have a correlation with the productivity of wells drilled nearby, they should not be taken as infallible indicators of serious earthquake hazards as a result of oil and gas wells drilled nearby.  The seismic data being collected recently in the area should give a much better picture of the extent of the basement faulting and how much it may extend into the lowermost sedimentary rocks which overlie the basement.  If the faults do not extend into the Utica/Point Pleasant interval there is no mechanism to support significant seismic activity.

Thanks for your Attachment Philip.

For some reason it saves to my download folder as an Adobe file and then Adobe tries to open it as a pdf.

I can open it in Google Earth however, but then, the 'Fault Lines' (in the color red) appear to obliterate the photographic data of any wells that may be present.

Can probably find them if I opened Google Earth and searched Guernsey County in the vicinity of where the fault lines are shown on your latest Attachment.

Just wanted you to know how it all worked out on this end.

Maybe it's just my configuration that's glitched somehow.

Thanks anyhow.

J-O

Joseph try this file and let me know if you can see the Hess wel.

Here is a Google Earth map layer for Belmont.  The Hess Athens B well is right on top of a fault line.

Attachments:
We can see it.

You've placed 2 pins and have drawn a couple of white lines in the near geography of what appears to be the well apparently located on it's own access road.

Zoom in too close and resolution begins to fail pretty significantly.

A red fault line appears to be a short distance west of the well.

Does (Do) the well's lateral(s) track to the northwest intersecting the fault line shown in red ?

The white line is the lateral. If you click on the pins they should be labled "Surface Location", Entry Point" and "Bottom Hole"  I only showed one of the 4 laterals.

The surface location pin should have a link to the well card.  Click on the link and let me know if it works.

Philip,

The only way I can access the kmz file is to 1st save it to my desktop then open Google Earth and load the kmz from there.

The kmz that opens shows 2 white lines with 1 bearing northeast (from 1 pin toward another at the opposite end).  The other white line originates at the western most pin, bears northwest but has no other pin at its northwest terminus.

The western most pin is tagged only as 'entry point'.

The northeast pin is tagged with the following link :http://www2.dnr.state.oh.us/Website/DOG/WellSummaryCard.asp?api=340...

There is no 'Surface Location' or 'Bottom Hole' tags appearing.

Also, it looks to us that the pin tagged 'entry point' is south of the well photographic data - a glitch in the photography we gather as it relates to the co-ordinates vs. the photograph.  This happens quite often with these aerial photographs vs. co-ordinates.  All we get is 'close enough for government work' we guess ! 

BTW we can get to the Well Summary Card by clicking on the link provided as a tag for the northeast pin.

When you have the kmz file on your desktop try right clicking on it and then where it says Opens with click on the Change Button and select Google Earth to open the file.  The photograaphic image is dated so it will not show the actual drill pad.  Let me know if this works.

Did it and it even works from the e-mail link now. 

Still have the photographic vs. co-ordinate kinks in the system however. 

This will (hopefully) become a valuable tool in the (again hopefully) near future for us as well !

Thanks Philip.

J-O

Try downloading the platmap and compare it to the Google Earth image.  See if the roads, streams etc. line up.

Learning to use Google Earth is a great tool for the landowner.  When Markwest wanted to put a pipeline accross my property I was able to send them a map of where I wanted them to put it.  I also use it to keep track of which gas companies my neigbors are leased with.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service