White House begins gas ‘fracking’ rule review - STILL want Fed. Govt. Involved????

White House begins gas ‘fracking’ rule review

http://thehill.com/blogs/e2-wire/e2-wire/211093-white-house-begins-...

By Ben Geman - 02/16/12 09:50 AM ET

The White House Office of Management and Budget has begun vetting upcoming Interior Department rules that will toughen regulation of the controversial natural-gas drilling method called hydraulic fracturing.

Interior’s rules are already under fire from GOP lawmakers who allege the plans — which President Obama touted in his State of the Union address — will slow development.

Interior Secretary Ken Salazar has promised that the rules, which will govern “fracking” on public lands, will be proposed very shortly.

Interior sent the proposal that requires disclosure of fracking chemicals to OMB for review on Wednesday, according to OMB’s website.

Fracking involves high-pressure injections of water, chemicals and sand into rock formations, which open up cracks that enable trapped gas to flow. 

The method has created a natural-gas boom in many states, but is bringing concerns about groundwater pollution and other public health threats along with it.

The Interior rules will require disclosure of the components used in fracking fluids, as well as provisions governing management of large volumes of “flowback” water from drilling sites and measures to ensure wellbore integrity.

Obama administration officials say they strongly support natural-gas development but that new safeguards are needed.

At a Capitol Hill hearing Wednesday, Salazar said the rules are necessary to ensure trust in the safety of the widespread fracking, noting that absent the disclosure, public doubts could become the “Achilles heel” of the gas-drilling boom.

But several Republicans attacked the planned rules at Wednesday’s Natural Resources Committee hearing on Interior’s budget plan.

Committee Chairman Doc Hastings (R-Wash.) said the rules will “add significant barriers and delays” to gas development.

Views: 1373

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

good points VG - however big the money, BIGGER money trumps.

So, the outcome of this information gathering will go to the biggest bidder, and if this administration does not like the 'answer', you can be sure he will over-rule the findings just as he ignored recommendations of the 'super committee' and others that were formed and then disbanded as their 'recommendations' were not to his liking.

Politics and BIGGER money trumps the gas and oil industry as well - sadly.

Yes, my attitude towards the government involvement and controls is highly visible. :(

my greater concerns than all of this about fracking and drilling...is what these oil companies have down the road done with the 'assigns clause' that was on our Lessor's contract.   Have they already sold out America's natural resources with some early contracts done in the 2007-2011 rush?  I mean take a look at the foreign market share now of our leases.   these leases don't easily expire is what many of us here at gomarcellusshale have learned...some are indefinite.   Our lease was flipped within months of us leasing...and so were many of yours.   Who will we be doing business with in years to come...or who will the children when adults later be doing business with on the leased lands?   will it be americans even american citizens in american companies?   Have they already sold it out?    Those that are still negotiating or waiting to lease pls read this about the assigns clause:

http://gomarcellusshale.com/forum/topics/assigns-clause-and-a-global

Question:   not sure about this...Does production of oil involve fracking also?   I have heard that some areas of the Marcellus are producing oil...why don't they concentrate on that?   Does the rig for NG also do Oil?    Or are they holding that back also from the Lessors waiting for production?   I mean look at what those oil prod. royalties would do for the economy of these states.    Do you think they may be holding the best for last?   Hope they decide to drill oil while waiting on all this ng talk.   

Did you all know that in Saudi Arabia that a man or woman with a jewelry cross on their neck will have it removed when entering at the port of entry...and that the Bible is confiscated if it is on them when they enter...?   hearsay...but from a man in India I spoke with today told me that.   If that is true then why are so many Christians buying their gas and oil from them...why aren't we producing our own oil.?  and why aren't we complaining about such if they come to our country and buy up many shares of our oil and gas here?  This is why I am upset about such a flimsy assigns clause...cause you don't know in the future if your enemies will have a stronghold over your natural resources.   has anyone noticed how many gasoline stations and motels/hotels are owned by non-citizens these days (mostly foreign country investors)?  what if they decided to have a moratorium...who could stop them?   There is usually an arab or an indian at the counter when I traveled across the states...not all are not citizens but I asked a few and they indicated that  financial backing came from overseas, from their native countries...and some of them have the same last name (not mentioning it).  You have to wonder when you stop over in Georgia and then in South Carolina and the motels are bought by the same last name from another country?

I have a friend who works in the gas/oil industry in Saudi Arabia, and I will inquire as to what you 'heard'...

Having foreign investors in our gas/oil is nothing new.  Who do you think "BP" is?

The 'indians' come over and work at these establishments - and the same 'last' name could actually be a sur-name which many from the same country use that same name.

that's right Linda...BP is British.

I am not against a global marketplace...what I would like to see is more rules of conduct and order in doing business in a global way concerning our natural resources and lands.

I don't like the idea that I have a lease contract that could many years from now be owned by the chinese government...because I don't really see how that helps my fellow Americans in the economy.   Now selling the NG to them is one thing...but having to purchase the NG from our own lands from a foreign country investor/government I think needs to be well thought out.    It isn't like this is a few thousand acres in one of our states...it is across all the United States and it is a 'gold like' rush without much thought from our representation in the government and local govt in what to do...it has been unleashed as a 'capitalism venture' but could be a military nightmare further into it.

when you hear that a country like Iran is threatening with big guns...and the media is reporting that even this week....and you know that these leases are being sold to any that have $$$$$$$$$ to buy them...why would anyone think that Iran wouldn't purchase them from China, India, or france, Russia, Arab states...I mean the list goes on and indeed unless the oil companies have restricted the assigns in their contract with these investors the investors can continue to assign their shares to anyone.  But what about the American companies that need new business and employment?   Are they going to work for them?

some of you may say...what is vg talking about...why would iran or russia have our leases...READ your 'assigns clause on the contract' ..the oil company has a right to assign to anyone...some are getting wise and adding some protection for the Lessor in case the oil companies are not considering their interests as to whom they will be doing business with in the future.

The point of the people coming over and purchasing a monopoly game with the hotels/motels/gasoline stations , etc. (even the media) is that there is no requirement that i know of that they have to be american citizens.   We already have an immigration problem that many taxpayers are supporting without knowing what else to do...yet as more businesses and services are bought up by non-citizens and used to profit foriegn countries and /or their investors then America's economy isn't being fed that way and if it was an enemy purchasing all that it could be used as a financial blocking tool later.   What if there was a company of people in another country who was purchasing up as many service stations as possible in order to fund their desire to overthrow our country?   How long could the people last without their gasoline?   see it should be that only U.S. citizens can own real property in the USA but that wasn't identified as a problem before 911.

btw...if that Saudi thing about crosses and Bibles is just a hoot....(but the source that told me that has friends there)....well if it doesn't bother anyone else why should it bother them?  I mean a piece of jewelry is just a piece of jewelry and if one has read their Bible enough then if they confiscate it  then they hope that they have memory of what they read......   yet if indeed those practices are part of their customs and laws that is their choice in their country.   But are we respecting that choice for this country as more and more of an influx of other religions move into the United States.

Iran does NOT have big guns, in fact, they don't have any sort of military to speak of -it's all hype to get us into war with Iran.  Administration has been trying for a false flag since Bush was in office.  Again, it's about control of THEIR oil and the fact they will no longer accept U.S. Dollars for their oil - that's what's at the bottom of this - Iraq threatened the same thing and we know what happened there.  We are going to invade and occupy another country.

If you want the truth about Iran, just search what Ron Paul says about them as he's been a rep from TX for multiple terms.  He's as smart as they come...

If any remember in the news...........When the towers fell on 911 the first foriegn call to offer help into the White House was Iran.

I'v been told the same about  no bibles are allowed in Saudi Arabia.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service