My son, Wes, and I have been deeply involved with the Wetzel County land since 1972. Just north of Jacksonburg and east of Pine Grove on Lowman Ridge in Grant District off of route 20. The land, as much as 180 acres, was an original Land Grant from Virginia. We have three veins of coal as well as gas and oil. We also have three high pressure 36" gas lines running west to east carrying local WV gas to the east coast. I lived in Texas for 35 years and had incidental contact with both sides, production and ownership. I will assure that 95% of land owners have no experience that gives a hint on how to deal with landmen or producers. My son has retained an attorney and a full title search has been completed and will be recorded at the courthouse giving full evidence of our surface and mineral rights. The Marcellus play confirms what our family has believed for several generations. Played right, Marcellus will revive the state economically.
Immeditely, I would:
01. Try to locate the Columbia lease--from Columbia directly or from the courthouse-the courthouse is very disorganized and over time misplaced, or lost, many documents;
02. Secure a property tax statement from family records or courthouse-will identify property location;
03. Talk to neighbors and get information from them, that helped us a lot;
04. I suspect you are participating in a vertical gas well, not a horizontal well, so area of surface may not be as great as horizontal well;
05. If you can find location in county, I can send you a topo chart of the area.
Just wanted to touch base with you. Hope things are well and that this is a site where you can dive in and begin contributing. Please be sure to check out our county groups and see if there is a county you can participate in. Have fun "shaling."
What makes this site so great? Well, I think it's the fact that, quite frankly, we all have a lot at stake in this thing they call shale. But beyond that, this site is made up of individuals who have worked hard for that little yard we call home. Or, that farm on which blood, sweat and tears have fallen.[ Read More ]