Sadly there doesn't appear to be any ongoing monitoring of aquifers related to drilling activity, This is not a single county issue, but an environmental issue that each of us needs to be alert to. I'd like to suggest that each and every landowner take it upon him/herself to do the necessary looking out for their own health and for the health of their neighbors.

When/if you become aware of an issue-don't keep it to yourself. Yell about it loudly and often, in newspaper article alerts as well as challenges to our representatives and legislators. Get your local reporter involved-in short-you take charge.

All good thoughts,

Dan.

Views: 4480

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

wonder how many aquifers are 8000 feet deep?  Sure hope none of that naturally occuring radon don't contaminate it.

I've heard it said and am also concerned that over time - after years - after perhaps decades - these vertical casings may deteriorate to the point of leaking contamination into the aquifer to the point of polluting it for everyone.

Can anyone speak to this concern / offer suggestions to keep this from happening ?

Maybe it isn't possible considering the casing construction these days ?

I've heard that many times double casings with the annular space between them cemented are used in the verticals as the casing pipes pass downward thru the various strata / aquifers ?

What about all the vertical shallow wells that exist and many are decades old?  Probably less care with construction than compared to today.  I would be more concerned with the old coroding casings that exist than with the more modern methods employed today.  Just my thoughts.

I think they are and that's what's happening to the old (no longer producing effectively) Clinton wells (for a good part anyway).

In the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania the state law mandates the water testing be completed within 2500 feet of any Marcellus well. This testing is done by a state certified lab, paid for by the company. That was HR 1950 passed & signed by Gov. Corbet & the PA. DEP has access to those records. This bill also includes casing of the well below the water table/aquifer.  

Roger,

What oversight is in place that you may know of? Related but separate, what enforcement of the rules & regulations are being done, and by what agencies? Apparently ODNR has this all in place, but sadly we in Penn. do not, or if we do I'm unaware of them and would appreciate being educated.

Thanks,

Dan

Pa DEP has the regulatory powers & I have worked with & personally seen DEP monitor issues. This was first hand & not hearsay.

Roger,

I'm really pleased to hear that. Would you say that there is an active monitoring service that is in place as well? As a landowner I'd be happy to know how to get in touch with that service. ODNR has a 24/7 monitoring operation in place as I understand, and will actively seek to hold companies responsible for their actions/non-actions. Do we in Penn. also have that?

Dan

You will have to contact the PA DEP for that answer. My contact with DEP was because of company water testing results & landowners noticing a difference with their water quality. Both DEP & the company worked together to monitor & resolve the issues. Note, none of the issues that I worked with were due to fracking  (gas migration) and the issues were resolved. Exactly what caused the issues I was not informed of but I was told that there no longer was an issue in that area as test results of water samples had returned to normal.

Roger,

Thanks for the reply. I am reminded of the advice given in the following article found elsewhere in this many paged blog on Aquifer Contamination Watch:

14. The Fractivists Choice

“Properly designed drilling, fracking, and completion

regulations, coupled with effective monitoring, can ensure that shale gas production has small or zero detrimental effect on the environment.

The solution lies in regulating shale at least as stringently as conventional oil and gas. If ground water contamination occurs, fine the perpetrator enough to make it highly unprofitable. Monitoring can be done both through government and community inspections; the threat of stiff fines will drive all operations to use industry best practice.”

Apparently ODNR already has this more or less in place. Sadly we in Penn. do not. Clearly if you & I, as alert landowners, can't put our fingers on the outreaching of the DEP and EPA  then either we are not doing our job to hold our legislators feet to the fire, or the DEP/EPA aren't doing theirs. Most likely it is some combination of both.

My personal attempts at contacting/engaging legislators have not resulted in any movement on their part. Apparently you have found that not to be the case for you, and that is heartening. Perhaps we can agree that we are not yet where we need to be as far as protections are concerned. If so, a movement to publicize the shortcomings on both our parts might be in order.

What do you think?

Dan

Dan,

I work in the industry as a landman. I can tell you first hand that there are different levels of communication to contact if there is an issue. First contact the company directly if you encounter issues while drilling is taking place or after operations are complete but the second water test has not yet taken place. The companies that I worked for have been very proactive & there will be someone at your door within 24 hours or less in most cases. The second line is to call the PA Department of Environmental Resources & make them aware of the issue. They in turn will contact the gas company & will also investigate themselves. I was born & raised in Pennsylvania & I live in a gas & oil region as do many gas company employees. None of us want to see an issue as it ultimately affects all of us. That said I also have seen people not affected by drilling but claiming to have issues with water. Most of them fall into the categories of having bad water before drilling or are anti gas to start with. I know people that can light their faucets & there are no wells in the area. Testing has shown many cases that to be shallow gas that migrates with the water table or the water well is close to a shallow gas pocket & migrates from there. Yes there has been a few documented wellhead or casing issues, that said do not be afraid to call DEP if necessary. 

Under Ohio state law as I understand it, oil companies need not pay to restore your water supply if they contaminate it but only need compensate for the difference in the value of the land before and after the contamination.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service