Chesapeake doing a BAT study in the area or a couple of shady characters in the area???

OK, I dont like to be paranoid but we had people here today that said they work for chesapeake and they are doing a BAT study in the area???  They wanted permission to come back and net the bats to be sure the drilling and pipeline work is not affecting bats in the area!    Call me paranoid but we just broke into a few months back and this just doesnt sit well with me when there are people once a week just coming back our lane for what ever reason they say.... or maybe they are checking things out!  Anybody heard of this activity in Hanover township?  Everybody else has showed proof of being a chesapeake employee, my Hubby didnt ask these people for any and they looked shady to me from the house.  ( maybe it was the ear rings Tats and torn jeans) Thanks

Views: 2240

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Wow, this reminds me of about 3 years ago when chk was rushing us to close a pipeline ROW agreement saying the deadline for the "Brazilian bats" was fast approaching.

We believed them and did use this as a negotiating tool for higher $$.

It is SO hard to believe anything they say!!!! Anything for a deal..

We are in Mon county, WV.

One of the reasons that Chesapeake had to move so quickly on the McRoberts property in Darlington was because of a bat breeding season. They weren't allowed to cut any trees after a certain date. 

Chrissy E,

I'm not familiar with your area, but US Fish & Wildlife does sometimes require seasonal tree cutting restrictions for bat activity areas. Sometimes if a company has enough planning time they will survey an area and conduct mist netting for bats to avoid tree cutting restrictions.

Check the sources of your visitors. They may be legit, but you can never be too safe.

Regards.

Holy Smokes Batman

chk do have guys doing bate studies. they can only cut trees after Nov 15 to end of march

So it looks as though there is hunting season for O&G. With load limits usually between Dec and May  then no cutting from March to Nov.  Looks as though only non timbered land could be drilled upon unless timber gets cut  during the winter loaded after the load limit season then perhaps they could drill?

It's not necessarily the case in all areas, but there are most definitely time limits for activity.  Wildlife, spring thaw, etc.  Companies want to execute as efficiently as possible and stick to their schedules, therefore you see a flurry of activity just prior to deadlines (as in all things) with a lull immediately after.  Looks odd if you're following along and don't have the whole story, but it's legit.

Cheers!

-AreaMan

WOW.... I am truly amazed by all I have seen in the last yr!!!  Thanks for all of your information, these people did check out with Chpke! Like I said, I am a little ancy since we where just broke into a few months back and we live pretty far off the road! 

I hope everybody here reaps some kind of benefit from the new BOOM!  (-:  

Most likely these people are for real.  The Indiana Bat is considered a protected or endangered species here in Ohio.  There is no doubt that the Ohio Department of Natural Resources and the US Wildlife are requiring studies of the bat population prior to the clearing of hardwoods.  At least some O/G activity is on the way to your area!!!!

If you live far off the main rd and dont have a big dog, maybe you should consider getting one. We have a big black lab who is very territorial and strangers dont have a chance to open a car door until i OK them. After they are OK'ed by me he turns all lovey dovey. electronic alarms can be bypassed, my dog's keen ear's and deep whoof cannot.

People doing Bat studies are by definition "shady characters"; after all, they only come out at night.

We only come out at night / The days are much too bright / We only come out at night. - With apologies to Billy Corgan.

JS

Ha, wow Jack didn't peg you for a pumpkins guy.

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service