If fracking fluids are found to be the cause of the illnesses at LeRoy High School, would you change your position on fracking?

http://holisticremediesnews.com/2144/le-roy-mystery-disease-update-...

The symptoms the children at LeRoy High School in LeRoy New York are suffering from are very similar to the neurological symptoms shown in the movie "Split Estate".   The movie documents what citizens in Rocky Mountain States have been living with for years, primarily in the towns of Dish Texas and Denton Texas.

Views: 11702

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

I'm not trying to scare anyone into making poor decisions - I'm wondering why the school district doesn't immediately take soil samples around the gas wells to see if there's anything there. If there's nothing in the soil, no worries, right?

In fact, every time a question is raised about health implications near shale gas wells, the person raising the question is attacked as a hysterical liberal tree-hugging commie. Which suggests that maybe the industry is hiding something?

The fright fest won't come from people like me, I promise. It will come when people realize they've been believing the shale gas propaganda (why do we need all those slick ads about clean energy if it really is as clean as you say?) and it's too late to clean up our water and we're all sick with strange diseases no one knows how to cure. 

well  lets see carol, you just told us that the any news from the pro side is propaganda. your whole post reeks of chicken little. read the new findings at dimock and also read how the government ltried to manipulate and lie to cabot. then get back to us so we can shoot some more  your propaganda down.

You should try googling PANDAS SYNDROME. I'm guessing there are a few educated individuals / doctors who are looking at the girl's symptoms and are looking into reasonable sources as opposed to just screaming "FRACKING!!! IT MUST BE THE FRACKING!!! CAUSE WE ALL KNOW ITS GOTS LOTS OF CHEMICALS!!! BUT WE DO NOT KNOW WHAT THEY ARE!!! SO THEY MUST BE BAD!!!! AND SOMEONE IS TRYING TO HIDE IT FROM US!!!!!"

Carol, what is brine?

Must be a great school system if they have the kind of labs to test the soil.  Why do we need Lysol ads with mom spraying it the air smiling while the kids play in room?  Why do we need Glade ads with little robot sprayers spewing nerve agents every 5 minutes?  why do we need Kool-aid ads when our kids are the fattest in the world?  Why indeed.  You did hit one point on the head............Sick

Here is another School http://www.ohiocitizen.org/campaigns/marion/marion.html yep right here in Ohio but cancer instead. Note the possible cause. Of course also check out the train wreck that had been near the school here we have been discussing http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2098445/Le-Roy-High-School-...

Lets try the guessing game. 

1, Train wreck in the area created a EPA Super Fund Clean Up Site

2. Possible exposure to fracking solution.

3. Possible mass hysteria as suggested by a medical opinion.

4. How about one no one has thought of, Super Burgers! Well not quire but we have known growth hormones have been put into the food chain for some time. We see kids developing at alarming rates of development as in comparison to 40 years ago.  But how about this for a possibility.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/03/science/earth/03water.html?pagewa...

http://ag.arizona.edu/azwater/awr/july00/feature1.htm

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23503485/ns/health-health_care/t/pharma...

gee when every one gets their water testing done perhaps we ought to sell water instead!

You asked a question about "If your own kid got sick from a fracking fluid spill on your own school’s ballfield – would you change your position on fracking?"

Here is my answer "I don't know."  There are a lot of factors that cannot possibly be addressed by such a vague question.  It depends on who performed the testing and the integrity of the scientific study that was performed.  It depends on if it were likely to happen again.  It depends on so many variables, it would be hard to address all of the unknowns.

However, to that I add this - I grew up around similar industry (drilling and mining), I have two grown sons who grew up around it, and I have a husband who works around it.  We have used the products of both coal and natural gas to heat our home, been exposed to the chemicals used in fracing, and guess what?  We are all healthy.  My perspective is different from yours, Carol; yours is based on what you read as well as what you believe.  My perspective is borne from real-life, hands-on, seen-with-my-own-two-eyes experience.

Now, let me beat you to the punch about how I am "paid" or whatever your argument is going to be...  My opinion and my arguments are based on YEARS of being around it and I have strong feelings on the subject of harvesting our own energy based on my real-life experiences in the patch.  No one has to pay me, nor do I get paid, because I simply feel I should do the best to convey a little truth about an industry that is grossly misunderstood - thanks to groups like the Damascus Sustainable Energy groups and others like it.  To me not to put forth some fact, would be to sit back and do nothing.  You feel strong about your beliefs, we who are pro-drilling feel strongly about ours.  So why is it you and other drilling opponents have to always accuse anyone who is supportive of the industry of being paid?

I answered your question, so I respectfully ask you to answer mine.  Thank you.

Hi Sherry, I'm happy to answer you respectfully. I didn't accuse you of being paid. I didn't even see your responses until a few minutes ago. I did ask Billy if he is paid, because, in checking his comment history, it looks like he's spending all day, every day, commenting. I had never posted on this site before yesterday, and within minutes of my posts he was accusing me of spreading propaganda. I was simply asking some questions, and interested at how fast he responded, and how hostile he was.

As for my opinions: I had never thought about shale gas - in any way - before last summer. Then I met some people who had some really negative experiences with wells near their homes and farms. I've been trying ever since to find out more - and alarmed at what I find out. I understand that lots of people depend on shale gas for income. I also know that lots of people are very alarmed at how fast it's moving, and how little real research has been done. I'm really glad you and your family are well - but there are plenty of people who aren't. You say you've been around mining and drilling. From everything I can learn, shale gas drilling is very different, which is part of the problem. 

What I find most troubling in this is how any scientific study or report or discussion that isn't completely supportive of shale gas drilling is called propaganda. Propaganda seems pretty easy to spot - and the propaganda I see seems mostly fed by the shale gas industry itself.

When I said I have been around drilling and mining, I guess I should have been more specific.  I worked for an engineering company for almost a decade providing services to coalbed natural gas operators in the Powder River Basin, I married a roughneck who has been working in the patch for eight years, and I drove a "roach-coach" for awhile, whose service area included several wells in the Dimock/Springville area.  I have friends who live on Carter Road including those who accepted the water treatment measures and their water is fine.

I developed an interest in the Dimock situation early on, almost since it hit the the local newspaper on Day 1, but not everyone has the near-proximity factor to check out the facts.  The media is complicit in their use of it for their headlines/advertising dollars and just about every environmental, sustainable, and renewable energy group has used it as their punching bag and poster child.

So I would say I have a rather comprehensive and varied background on the subject.  I have done my own research, asked my own questions, and have real-life experience and as such, arrived at my own opinion. 

Propaganda?  Propaganda runs amok on both sides of this issue and it's hard to find that middle ground.  I look as much at the site a link takes me as well as the subject matter.  If a poster keeps linking to the same types of sites, it tells me a lot about what direction their stance in drilling leans; even certain phrases are led to infer a bias, such as "What company pays you to spread their information".  Just a suggestion, If you are really here to ask questions and learn, then don't make unwarranted accusations.  Because when you do, I know I become just as suspicious of your true intentions as you do someone who attacks your questions.   It's one of the first tactics drilling opponents resort when confronted with something they don't want to answer or don't have an answer is to accuse the person of being a "gas industry shill".  Would you want someone to ask you "How much does the Park Foundation pay you to spread the anti-drill sludge around?"  They throw a serious chunk of change at killing the drill.

I see lots of mudslinging on every side - but I really don't see much attempt at honest conversation, or real sharing of helpfulinformation. What sites would you consider unbiased and believable? 

You are entertaining...

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service