Does anyone have an update on the Marchand Unit in North Mahoning Township.  One unit is producing and four additional permits are on the books.

Views: 12887

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Sounds like the well has been plugged and effort is in-place to flare off any shallow well contamination.  How much water could have been released into the shallow gas formation?  Anything new in the remediation effort?  It sounds like CNX has done a very good job to stop any further damage.   Kudos to them!

Could the flow back water migrate naturally to the surface?

What`s next now?

Given the circumstances of this well problem, is it possible to remove the 5.5" pipe to a point below the defective section and replace or repair it, and then reinstall it or new pipe?   Can the heavy mud be removed from the well?

the heavy mud isn't permanent. it will depend on DEP and public pressure more than anything else. the most likely fix would be reduced diameter production pipe inside the 5.5, then another cement between. this would reduce well flow but would be better than a total loss. i'm thinking an engineered fix wouldn't be well recieved and CNX may not want that liabilty going forward. looks like public meetings are already being scheduled concerning the water reservoir. odds may lean towards plugging?

OT - what could the reduced production be by %?   It would just mean a longer ROI for CNX with a reduced production volume, right?   It seems to me that they have responded appropriately and aggressively to correct this problem.   Hopefully investors will agree.  Is there a rule of thumb for gas volume per inch of pipe size?

that would depend on well specific data and a long formula. however there are frac plugs sometimes used which can be open and closed using wireline tools. those type plugs are more restrictive than composites designed for drill-out. they aren't used often in shale wells, to my knowledge, due to their reduced diameter and since re-entry ops. in shale wells isn't a frequent practice. i recall figuring with pencil and slide rule in the day. alot easier when we carried laptops and just plugged in data. i shudder to think what happens WHEN we experience an EMF event. kids today can't even write let alone use a slide rule.

Old Timer hello!

Slide rule...Hmmmm.  My father did a lot of slide rule figuring back in the 1940's. He worked for telephone company and about 1946 figured out circuitry that connected the old STEP SYSTEM to work with the DIRECT DIAL SYSTEM we use today.  In fact he was invited to attend an important meeting  that was held concerning the invention of the TRANSISTOR  and how it worked. As you know the transistor effectlvly did away with vacuum tubes in radio and Television. 

Dad tried to teach me the basics of slide rule  but my brain was just too feeble.

Take care my friend and keep warm.

Granddad Ladd

Ha ha!  It sounds like you guys had the pleasure & challenge of using a Slide rule.  I never could use one!   The calculator & computer are my friends!!   So OT,  it sounds feasible to redo this well albeit at lower production.   Has this been done before?   It seems to me that well pressures could force the mud back up the 5.5 pipe and into a ground container.  As you replied recently, time is needed by CNX to figure out what to do.   Could this problem on the Shaw pad divert their attention back into the Northern part of the Central PA area?   I hear a Slide rule makes a good paper weight!

the mud won't be forced up due to the specific weight chosen to hold the pressure. it would be pumped out. i don't know of this particular fix or if that would be their chosen method, but i believe it could be done. the DEP and public are the wild cards to play. worst case i see is if metalurgy testing of the 5.5 batch of casing reveals "chinese junk" potentially extends into other wells and even other companys. there is already alot going on here in NCPA  folks are missing.

Do you think CNX will divert their drilling activity away from the Beaver Run Reservoir for awhile?  If so, would they move towards their other holdings in Indiana or Jefferson counties?

Junk pipe sounds like a big problem potential for the industry.  Does a gas company specify standards for this pipe, and origin (country) of manufacture?

I`m not from the northern counties of Central PA, but it really sounds like your area has and will experience a lot of growth.   Do you have growth incentive due to being located closer to major pipelines and market?

i wouldn't expect a rush to resume much activity around the reservoir until things simmer down a bit. pipe has ratings which the purchaser assumes is correct for the intended use, however we have all suffered disapointing results regarding some countries of origins products. USA pipe all the way as far as i'm concerned.  i think anywhere decent production can be found we'll see long term activity to meet the projected demand increase. each company will set their course according to their individual plans but i believe all will have to operate under low prices or fail. even with a substantial increase in projected demand the production estimates exceed. they will have to produce volume at low margins to service their high debt loads. like any tail chasing commodity business.

RSS

Local Groups

Latest Activity

Blog Posts

Forgotten Men and Women of Canadian Energy Industry Protest

Posted by Thomas J Shepstone on January 4, 2019 at 10:37am 0 Comments

The forgotten men and women of the Canadian energy industry are mad as hell and not taking it anymore. They’re protesting in their trucks and it’s spreading.

Whenever I go to New York City, which is as seldom as…

Continue

Events

© 2019   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service