I think there was a general discussion a while back but I can't seem to find it, so....

For those folks getting significant signing bonuses, how have you dealt with the tax consequences of being pushed into a higher tax bracket for the year you get the signing bonus? What about Alternative Mimimum Tax (AMT)? What other issues have you run into?

Same sorts of questions for royalty payments.

The reason I'm asking is that this gets into some specialized stuff and at least one accountant I spoke with was blowing smoke and clearly didn't have a clue about O&G income (signing bonus, royalty treatment, etc).

Mike

Views: 22601

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Mike,

Unless Ohio is very different than  Pa., there is not a local tax on unearned income.

I'll have to check into that Craig. If that's the case I'll be doing a little jig.... not because I'm stingy but because the officials where I live would just piss it down the drain. Our income now is basically all earned income.
The local tax should only be on earned income unless you live in Scroogeville.

I have read that you can deduct your pre paid funeral expenses, along with the tombstone;

you gotta go someday and this is money that will need to be spent.  It might just get you

into a lower tax bracket....worth crunching some figures

It would have to be one hell of a funeral to make a difference on the taxes.

I've always heard you could give up to a certain amount per year to your children, provided they are minors and it could possibly be tax deductable.  I've heard figures of 8,12, and 15 grand per year, per child.  Not sure on the figures though.

Dave,

It's not a function of the recipient being your children. It is $13,000 per year per recipient. If you are married, both spouses can contribute (total $26,000) to a single individual without triggering gift tax. There are specific exclusions such as paying tuition for your child.  Here is the link to the IRS page about it - http://www.irs.gov/businesses/small/article/0,,id=108139,00.html

I am not up to date on my tax law, but in the past I had to deal with gifting maximum amounts to individuals. This maybe out of date, but.....

If you are in a position to gift away lots of money you could jeopardize your future estate tax when you die. Gifting used to and may still lower the threshold for the size of an estate before triggering a federal estate tax.  At least I'd read up on the new regulations concerning this. I would compare what I might save gifting away tons of money in relation to what your federal estate taxes might be when you die after gifting lots. Of course the IRS can, has and will change the regs at anytime.

Giving a gift to a family member has no income tax deduction available.

Funeral expenses are a deduction for estate taxes only.

If you're expecting less than $75,000 per year, form a C Corp (and get your EIN) before signing the lease. Set the Corp up in a no corp state income tax state like NV or WY. The federal tax rate is 15%, plus you get to deduct many other things. Setting up a Corp is not expensive - less than $500 if you DIY. You may need a registered agent if you're out of state.

To get your money out, pay yourself a salary (not dividends) over a period of time.

Best if you talk with a CPA.

Why the $75,000 limit?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service