So I know this has been beat to death, and I'm aware of the variables involved, and also the resulting variations in royalties...........BUT......... A person I know who is in a unit currently being drilled was told by someone with the drilling company that he could see $50,000 per MONTH in royalties.  He owns 60 acres.   Is this even possible for a Utica well??   Even if it was a great producer, and the well had several laterals, and it was a small unit, it just doesn't seem likely to me.  They told us when we signed leases that the signing bonus was "chump change" compared to royalties, but that amount just doesn't seem possible.  By that I mean I can't wrap my head around a gas well making so much $$ to where they could afford to pay one landowner that amount.   I asked again if he meant that amount is what HE could see, or what the whole UNIT would see, and he said again he was told this is what he could be getting.   Oh and the kicker?   His property was HBP by an old Atlas well, so he's at the 12.5% rate also!!

Views: 19042

Reply to This

Replies to This Discussion

Yes it is possible,as long as they drill 6>8 wells on the pad..Unit can't be more then 640 acres. And as long as you are lease with a company who doesnt take more deductions then they are suppose to..GL  John

Chesapeake estimates its recoverable gas on my 1200 acre unit to be conservatively valued at $385mm @$4.00. Over a 25yr. period that comes to about $1000 per acre per month, so royalties with no deductions would be 1/5 that at 20% regardless of decline curve. This is conservative because it does not take into account future improvements in recovery technology. However, we are only considering gas and zero oil. The value to the operator for your land lease is far greater because gas can be refined to products salable at far greater than the price of unprocessed gas. Plus we are only speaking of the Utica wells whereas they have the rights to deeper and shallower layers so all these factors explain why the signing bonus can be seemingly out of proportion to the royalties. The big determining factor in royalties is not so much the gas but how much oil will be produced on a given unit.

"This is conservative because it does not take into account future improvements in recovery technology."

It's not conservative because you're taking CHK's word on what the value is, which has historically been a risky bet.  Optimism is good and I hope that you get every penny of that money, but please be cautious when trusting these guys.

I trust the figures but I don't trust I'll ever receive due royalties. My question to you is given that royalties are based on product sold rather than product produced and that there is at least a six month delay from production to disbursal of royalties and an unknown period between production and sale how can anyone, let alone a mere landowner possibly verify or audit a company royalty statement?

I"m hoping, maybe someday, there will be a state sanctioned agency that will be doing the audits to make sure that the landowners are getting their due royalties according to their lease wording and production reports. Some other agency will have to make sure that the production #s AND the sales receipts are not fudged in anyway. In this business, I"m sorry to say, the "honor system" will not work. Someone will have to oversee and audit,and inspect. There are just too many ways for the O&G co.s to screw over the landowner.

Bo,

Are you aware of the classaction suit going forward by Doug Clark? There is a real service being performed by his law firm on all our behalf's.

Dan

He seems to be a good one. O&G attorney, that is.

Frank,  Speaker...... May I ask where  (state and County ) you are located ?  Many Thanks in advance.

I'm in Harrison County, Ohio. The figures are from testimony accompanying their application for unitization. They use a 70% recovery factor. The Rensi Well is next door and is highly producing.

Frank

which town or township are you in?

the Rensi is in Stock Twp............just north of the high end of tappan lake.........also bordering the new MizerFarms Eclipse wells

Yes the Rensi is a good well. looks like in the short time on line it could be better than the boy scout. It only had around 10 days production...Wonder what 90 days will look like?

RSS

© 2024   Created by Keith Mauck (Site Publisher).   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service